Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Drone used to capture flyfishing footage

From Cato, NY
Within the past 3 months i purchased a mavic pro and phantom drone and have been getting some great aerial footage. I can't wait to get some great footage this coming fishing season. Has anyone used a drone to capture any good flyfishing/stream footage. I would like to see any footage anyone has if you don't mind. These things are ridiculously fun and capture some amazing footage.

Posted on: 2/28 14:32

Re: Drone used to capture flyfishing footage

My paintball gun trumps your drone. Don't film me throwing tailing loops without having me sign a disclosure. Lol.

Seriously, we have some at work and they are a blast to fly. Where it stops being a blast is when you crash it (user error or craft malfunction). Took months for the Phantom to come back repaired. We now have a Yuneec Q500 4k. It's much slower but is very good at obtaining super steady & high quality video. Idiot proof but it did malfunction and plummet to earth. 3 trips to California for repairs because they kept sending it back not working right. $100 to ship the damn thing.

Posted on: 2/28 15:07

From LV
If you use it near me, beware of the big streamers, not only do they catch big fish, but big birds too.

Posted on: 2/28 16:16

From SE Pa
During the shad run there is a guy flying a drone overhead filming. Very annoying. Hate them. Make sure those who you are filming are ok with it.

Posted on: 2/28 17:05

From Gettysburg
Quote:

mcwillja wrote:
Within the past 3 months i purchased a mavic pro and phantom drone and have been getting some great aerial footage. I can't wait to get some great footage this coming fishing season. Has anyone used a drone to capture any good flyfishing/stream footage. I would like to see any footage anyone has if you don't mind. These things are ridiculously fun and capture some amazing footage.

While I can't help with specific knowledge of using drones to film fishing, as others have suggested, having a drone buzz them is not welcome.

Would probably be best to use this tech on weekdays on bigger rivers where other folks (not just fishermen) are not around. Perhaps Penns on a Saturday in May would not be ideal.

Having said that, there is some interesting drone footage of the Susky river on one of the recent WW threads. The filmography was indeed well done and, if you haven't watched that, it might offer some angles or insights with respect to drone position etc.

Posted on: 2/28 17:34

J,
I'd suggest filming guys fishings to daytime sulphur hatch between the gentleman's club and the tailout of barking dog. You will be a crowd favorite. Lol

Posted on: 2/28 18:08

I saw one last year at hale eddy bridge

Posted on: 2/28 18:10

From lower burrell, pa
Do you have FAA clearance ? If not you can't sue whoever shoots it down.

Posted on: 2/28 18:29

From Monessen, PA
I used to secretly enjoy when others watched me fish. I never had anyone do so from a remote-controlled drone.

Posted on: 2/28 18:56
"Western man lacks conscious recognition of his inferiority to the nature around him and within him. He must learn that he cannot do exactly as he wills. He does not know that his own soul is rebelling against him in a suicidal way."
--C. G. Jung

From harlansburg
they make great shotgun targets!

Posted on: 2/28 19:36

Good point Norm. For personal use, you have to pay $5 (per unit) and register your units with the FAA. If you want to use it commercially for filming or surveys, get ready for a real shiit show of paperwork, insurance and FAA nonsense.

Posted on: 2/28 19:52

From Berks County
I will throw a rock at any drone that is invading my privacy. They might be cool for some things, but they should not interfere with anyone's privacy. Drones buzzing around me while I'm fishing would qualify as a target.

Posted on: 2/28 20:06

From Lycoming county
Another thing to keep in mind, drones can not be flown on any state land in PA without prior approval. There may be a few select locations where it is allowed, but as a whole it is not allowed.

Posted on: 2/28 20:34

From Lancaster County
Quote:

lycoflyfisher wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind, drones can not be flown on any state land in PA without prior approval. There may be a few select locations where it is allowed, but as a whole it is not allowed.

Drones are permitted in specific areas in six state parks and banned on state game lands. They are not explicitly banned or permitted only in designated areas in state forests, so FAA rules apply there.

Posted on: 2/28 21:47

From Cato, NY
Ok let me clarify. First im not talking about hovering over someone to watch them fish. Lots of flyfishing films are made using drones. It think it was the delaware river club used a phantom to film a commercial to promote their business. I would never fly around someone or bother them while they are fishing. and as far as the laws go i am registered with the FAA and i am in the process of getting a 107 pilots license for commercial use.

As far as the laws it is not illegal to fly in state land air space. Their aren't any regulations until you approach within 5 miles of an airport or helipad. Then you need FAA clearance to fly. Some state parks are banning landing and taking off on state land but it's not a law (at this time). They don't own the airspace or they could say an airplane can't fly over. I am asking if anyone has used one to capture themselves fishing or their friends or people who apporve of it.

Posted on: 3/1 14:11

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com