Czech Nymphing

S

surveyor06

I consider myself a fairly successful nymph fisherman, but I'm using a strike indicator all the time and would like to try without. Can anyone suggest a good book on czech nymphing or possibly a good website. There is a lot of material on the web, but it would be nice to have a good reference that covers, flys, techniques, and setup all in one spot. Thanks.

George Daniels (a PA guy) is coming out with a nymphing book on January 1. It has a section on Czech in it. I don't know how his writing is but I saw a presentation of his at the Penn's Creek TU banquet last year and he was very good. I already pre-ordered the book.

Adding the link

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Nymphing-George-Daniel/dp/0811707415#_

Surveyor,
For dvds: start here
Oliver Edwards: Czech Nymphing & Upstream Nymphing and North Country Spiders this is a two volume set
Czech Nymphing 101 w/Steve Parrott
European Nymphing: Techniques & Flytying w/Aaron Jasper
Czech Nymph w/Johann Klingberg
soon to be released will be another video
European Nymphing: A Strategic Approach w/Aaron Jasper

for books
well the first books printed on this technique were from overseas
and the will be listed in this very book:
Czech Nymph and Other Related Flyfishing Methods by: Karel Krivanec
the next two books are:
from Hends {a european flytying and flyfishing products company:
Flyfishing & Flytying w/Jaromir Karofiat and Miroslav Machacek

Secret Flies of the Czech and Slovak Flytyers
this is the standard of European and Czech Nyphing methods also french an polish as well.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Here's a link with a decent amount of info to get you started with EN techniques:

http://www.bluequillangler.com/site/european_nymphing_techniques/european_nymphing_techniques.html

surveyor6
Did you get my pm I sent to you about a week or so ago ?
Just wondering ,I didn't get a reply one way or the other
beadhead2

Foxgap239 wrote:
George Daniels (a PA guy) is coming out with a nymphing book on January 1. It has a section on Czech in it. I don't know how his writing is but I saw a presentation of his at the Penn's Creek TU banquet last year and he was very good. I already pre-ordered the book.

Adding the link

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Nymphing-George-Daniel/dp/0811707415#_

I just purchased this book it's great. Very focused on technique. The book doesn't get bogged down in lengthy discissions about hatch matching. George does a great job explaining what to do, why to do it, and what is actually happening during the drifts. Also very good explanation of use of weight. The whole book is a nice departure from the normal instruction on using nymph/indicator rigs.

Kev

Aaron Jasper's DVD was really good (at least I thought it was), especially for leader setup, etc.

Lonewolve, have you read: Secret Flies of the Czech and Slovak Fly-Tiers by Vaclav Liska?

Sky,
No i have not read it but alas i have perused it an never seem to have extra cash at the show to buy it.It seems like a good book the other books an media i mentioned earler are a great resource as well,also Aaron Jasper has just released a companion to his first dvd i haven;t gotten it yet but have watched some trailers its a good dvd. I just got Daniel's Dynamic Nymphing book,its a great book so far i could do with out the castiong part,Dave Rothrock is my mentor where casting nymphs is concerned an he is a machine on the stream and a excellent teacher/guide,and treasure.
Ill have to buy it i guess

I'm a little more than halfway through GD's Dynamic Nymphing. It has the info in it of a book twice it's size, easy to understand as well. A good read for sure.

I have the George Daniel's book and have found it to a great resource. It has far more pictures than I would expect for a FF book in this price range.

I also have the Aaron Jasper and Steve Parrot DVDs. Both are useful, but I prefer the Parrot.

Back