Common sense article about how to become a better FFer

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
It's not about your tackle, equipment or flies you fish, it's more about getting out on the water honing your techniques and skills, trying stuff, and learning from your failures and successes....

https://www.hatchmag.com/articles/want-be-better-angler-itll-take-more-pixie-dust/7714759

This has been rehashed so many times.

I don't think anyone really believes their tackle will make them a better angler by any measurable amount. At least not those past the raw-beginner stages of the sport. What I think happens is that a lot of guys get discouraged with the learning process, or can't devote enough time and effort to it, or are just impatient and in their enthusiasm, decide that if they can't improve their skill, they can improve their gear. I think it's mostly a subconscious process too. Say you want to learn how to czech nymph, or you want to start fishing big streamers. You aren't going get good at it it one or two trips, but you can buy the same gear as all the experts use and have it tomorrow. There's certainty to it. it's tangible. It feels like your are making progress even though the improvement of your situation is incredibly insignificant.

PennKev wrote:
There's certainty to it. it's tangible. It feels like your are making progress even though the improvement of your situation is incredibly insignificant.

Although I completely agree with the article, it also points out that there is an element of truth in "pixie dust" theory. The improvement isn't necessarily "incredibly" insignificant for a couple of reasons:

1) You buy better stuff and still can't perform at the level you think you should, it becomes obvious that the fault isn't the equipment. It's easy to blame poor equipment for poor performance, buying better removes the excuse.

2) Sometimes better stuff can encourage you to spend more time using it. It may be that the better stuff is just more pleasurable to use, or it may be a case of cognitive dissonance: "I spent all this money for this stuff, I'd better learn to use it."

Still, there's no substitute for time on the water.

I can tell you specifically what made me a better fly fisher. One Spring I got laid off for about four and a half months. Young, still living at home, I fished every day. Seven days a week. Weeks on end.
I got to be pretty darn good at catching fish.

There is no substitute for practice.

I believe that the high end tackle will make me look good and I'll get that hot lady in the bikini to come talk with me. :)

A lot of becoming successful is your own learning curve -
Can you read it and try it out
Can you watch someone and figure it out
Do you have a coach
Are you a go it alone because of pride

However, let's face it - no matter how good you are, if there are no fish in the water where your fishing - you probably won't catch any fish.

While I agree skill is the #1 factor in catching fish, two pieces of equipment I feel have made a serious impact on my numbers. First, switching from an 8 1/2 foot 4 weight to a 10 footer when nymphing was huge. Better drifts more fish, pretty simple. Second, a wading staff to fish bigger, slicker rivers(think North branch of Potomac). Being able to move and put myself in places to make better drifts or water that others cannot hit. That being said if I was a beginner these two pieces of equipment would have next to no impact. Different equipment allows better fisherman to fish better.

DaveS wrote:
I can tell you specifically what made me a better fly fisher. One Spring I got laid off for about four and a half months. Young, still living at home, I fished every day. Seven days a week. Weeks on end.
I got to be pretty darn good at catching fish.

There is no substitute for practice.

Agree 1000%. Conversely, I believe you can "lose your touch" also.
When I was able to fish over 200 days a year, I was very good at catching. These days I'm lucky to get out 50 days. I've noticed a definite drop in my catch rate from the glory days.

But the difference is, I honestly don't care. I am happier -- much happier -- just to be out there now. So even though I caught more back then, I enjoy it just as much, if not more, now.

Now if we could just get a good snow fall....that would make me happy!

Practice and hours spent doing the hobby will definitely be the number one thing to improve your skills, but better gear can also help. As Ryan pointed out, he caught more fish when he went to a 10' rod instead of an 8.5'. That doesn't mean that that gear was "better" but he employed different gear and it suited his style better. That said, I tend to use short fiberglass rods just becaus I think that they are fun. I also find my higher quality gear more satisfying to fish than my cheaper gear and I truly feel that it makes me a better fisherman. When I my Orvis Superfine and L.L. Bean Double L reel and put it against my Cabela's Three Forks and Okuma Sierra there is a noticeable difference.

I'm a big musician and play 5 or so different instruments. If you think that a high end instrument doesn't increase your ease of playing difficult pieces compared to some cheapo thing, then you are totally wrong. To understand the difference you must first master the art and spend lots of time.

First of all there are many road maps to some destinations. Equipment/Time/Location will all play a factor in how you get to yours. Some people mainly fish the large rivers/creeks - some only fish the narrow shallow ones.

I'm a little musician (5'4" 160 dry weight)

Took a quick glance at the article. Seems like a catch 22 with ads for G Loomis Spiral X and Orvis Helios 3 rods dispersed in the article. As if an $850 rod is the ticket, haha.

How to become a better flyfisher:

Become more skillful.

OK, thanks, I'll try that.

troutbert wrote:
How to become a better flyfisher:

Become more skillful.

OK, thanks, I'll try that.

Practice makes permanent.

Want to become a better fly fisherman?

* Learn the correct mechanics to casting

* Go out one day and apply the 80/20 rule. Spend 80% of your time observing and 20% of your time casting. You might be surprised with what happens.

After what Krayfish2 said.....

Learn to react to the fishes needs and not your competition. And remember to never replace a "I don't know how" with an "I Can't"

Back