Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Books-pa stream guide

From Shamokin-Coal Township
I bought Sajna's on Amazon and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 16:39

From Hagerstown, MD
I am a big fan of the Dave Wolf book...Mostly for sentimental reasons. Most of my early exporation of PA streams was based out of that book, and some of his stories make me feel that he would be a heck of a guy to just sit alongside a famous PA stream with and have a chat while watching mayflies floating down downstream.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 16:46

From South Jersey
For me Landis first and Meck a close second. I have met both of the authors and nicer men you will never meet. Watching Charlie Meck cast is like watching Michelangelo paint.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 16:46

Salmo

From harlansburg
I found a copy of Sajna's book at a 2nd hand store, picked it up for 2 bucks!

Posted on: 2013/1/30 18:15

From Lancaster County
Quote:

rrt wrote:
1. You will have trouble finding it, but the late Mike Sajna's PA Trout and Salmon Guide is the most enjoyable guide to read. It includes a lot of interesting local historical info, and his stream info is as accurate as any of the rest. However, written back in the 1980s, it is dated.
2. Dwight Landis's guide has nice maps in it, and his info seems to be pretty reliable, too. His material is more up to date than Sajna's.
3. The Meck guide is so-slo. On some of the streams with which I am familiar, Meck's fly information is not accurate.
4. The Wolf book, though it looks nice, is not very thorough. Wolf is spot-on with his n/c PA info, as that is where he came from. His bass stream info is probably all right, too. However, he fails to mention many streams. One of the streams he notes hatches for has not ever seen these flies, at least in the past 3 generations. I think he relied too much on hearsay for trout streams outside of n/c PA.
-- If you are going to plunk down the money for one, Landis's is probably the best one right now, though if you can get ahold of Sajna's and like historical anecdotes, you might like it best.

Sajna's book is actually fairly easy to find (at least relative to some other PA angling books I've looked for, like The Vanishing Trout). I'm pretty sure I thumbed through it when I was a youngster and would hang out at the chain bookstores, looking at hunting and fishing books. Seeing as it wasn't in my home library, I just snagged a copy off of Ebay, so thanks for the pointer rrt.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 18:42

From Ferguson Twp.
Dwight's first, then get Trout Unlimited's Guide to Pennsylvania Limestone Streams by: A. Joseph Armstrong.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 19:27

they just cover different things... landis is much better for a lot of streams, and a lot of small streams. good maps and well written.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 21:44

Be careful with the Armstrong book. I admire that he donated the profits to TU (I think). However, he lists at least 2 real freestoners as limestoners (Canoe Creek and the LBE) from my area. He may do that with others as well. Just a caution.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 22:47

From Pittsburgh
The Armstrong book isn't much of stream guide IMO
He just explored streams that are in the limestone belts of the state.
And at that, he only visited most of the streams once - and pretty much fished with an attractor fly called an ausable wulff. I found quite a few of his stream assessments to be off target from what I experienced on them

Posted on: 2013/1/30 23:41

From Butler, Pa
Landis' book has helped me plan 3 trips to new streams and be able to get us there without a GPS his maps are that good. I'm also able to take the flies I need with me based on most of his reports and accounts.

Posted on: 2013/1/31 0:59

From Ferguson Twp.
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
The Armstrong book isn't much of stream guide IMO
He just explored streams that are in the limestone belts of the state.
And at that, he only visited most of the streams once - and pretty much fished with an attractor fly called an ausable wulff. I found quite a few of his stream assessments to be off target from what I experienced on them

Where did you find out about that? Perhaps conditions had changed on the streams you went to? I've been to streams given in guides and had the same type of experience as you had. I'm not a fanboy or anything, I just want to know...

Posted on: 2013/1/31 6:19

From Pittsburgh
lv2nymph -

In the front section of the book, the author says right off the bat that he consulted geologic maps to figure out where to fish in areas of the state with limestone deposits.

He also says rather early in the book, that the majority of his fishing is done with a #16 ausable wulff - I guess as a seaching pattern.

As for the streams themselves - I remember reading quite a few of his reports stating that that particular stream wasn't in good form on the day he visited it - either because of high water, high air temps - and that the fishing there could well have been a lot better than what he saw of it

Posted on: 2013/2/1 10:45

From Monessen, PA
I'm confused, then. In his book, if he admits these things, then maybe he is simply guiding others to explore the streams for themselves? Sounds like a reasonable thing to do... basically chronicling his effort to find limestone waters in PA that are worth fishing. Heck, half the fun is the unknown idinit?

Posted on: 2013/2/1 18:32

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Ferguson Twp.
Dryflyguy,
I hate to admit it but when I got the book I really only lightly skimmed the front part. I lived in Delaware when I got it and there are not a whole lotta trout streams in that state. I was hungry for information on the location of limestone streams in Pa. and was too far away at the time to wonder around looking for them on my own. The milky green color of limestoners haunted my dreams.When I saw the book I was in heaven all the leg work done and packaged up in a book, didn't really care about his results I just wanted to fish them and find out for myself. I guess what I'm saying is if someone is looking for the location of these types of streams and don't have alot of time to burn it's a good one in my book. Thanks for telling me what is in the book I have on my shelf. Jack

Posted on: 2013/2/1 18:52

From Lancaster County
I'd view Armstrong's book more as a catalog and a "get out and explore what's available" book, than a "go here, fish this fly, and you'll catch this many fish" book. It's a guide in the sense that it collects the information for you about limestone influenced streams, but I don't think the author would imply that his single time fishing a stream is necessarily the definitive take of the overall quality of that water.

FWIW, Canoe Creek is definitely a limestone influenced stream. There may be enough sandstone or shale beds intermingled with the limestone in the area to form "freestones" as the bedrock weathers but its definitely flowing through a limestone belt. Step into some of its tribs in the middle of summer and that should confirm it - brrrr!!

Posted on: 2013/2/1 21:06

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com