Book for good nymphing techniques.

JustFish

JustFish

Anyone know of good books on nymphing strategies? Trying to build my library.

I like Joe Humphries Trout Tactics.

Nymphing- I think is the title it is by Gary Borger.

I read Trout Tactics by Joe Humphries also. It's extremely technical and specific. If you want to know EXACTLY how to rig your nymph, this is your book. On the other hand, it's sooo technical, you may get the impression you'll need to take the book along with you the next time you fish. Unless you get another recommendation, I'd go with this one. Just remember that it doesn't take a Ph.D. to catch a trout.

Thanks! For the most part I like reading books and seeing other people's views and strategies. I also like collecting books on fly fishing. My view is you can always take something from it and apply it to your strategy.

Just recieved Trout Rigs & Methods by Dave Hughes Saturday. It covers a lot more than just nymphing. A good book packed with information..

For numerous perspective in a single volume, try:

The Masters on the nymph
Migel, J. Michael.

Publisher: Lyons Books,
Pub date: 1979.
Physical Description: 272 p. :
ISBN: 0385151519

Holdings
Pattee Library and Paterno Library Stacks (UP)
Call Number Material Location
SH456.M33 Book or Bound Serial Paterno - 4th Floor
Penn State Dubois
Call Number Material Location
SH456.M33 Book or Bound Serial Penn State DuBois - General Collection

This is an anthology of articles on nymph fishing with illustrations by Dave Whitlock. I don't know why you'd want to read it though, when you can read "Masters on the Dry Fly" also an anthology by Migel.

I like Rick Hafele's "Nymph-Fishing Rivers And Streams: A Biologist's View of Taking Trout Below the Surface" (Hardcover). It comes with a DVD of Rick and John Smeraglio using some of the more popular techniques. It think that they have a good sense of humor, so the video is pretty good -- IMHO. The book goes into more depth than the DVD, and they complement each other.

I get all of my books from The Angling Bookstore. They have more titles of books and videos than you can imagine. http://www.theanglingbookstore.com/

I've known Ben personally for a long time, and if you've ever been to one of the International Fly Tying Symposiums or FlyFishingShow West by Chuck Furimsky, that's his dad. They're both exceptionally nice guys.

Back