Bill Nagel - Steelhead Angler, Short Movie

skybay

skybay

Bill Nagel

Steelhead Angler, Mentor, Orvis Fly Tying Instructor .

Recorded at USC Fly Fishing Club , Pittsburgh, PA
Thursday, November 13th, 2014

Short Movie
Time : 5:09min

Attachments

• Fish and Angler's View.jpg
    Fish and Angler's View.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 10
not short enough. You could lop off a minute at the beginning and nearly a minute at the end and still see the entire message.

Also, 30 minutes to fight a steelhead? Give me a break. Even Proformance doesn't fight them that long even without a net.

^ditto what was all that stuff at the beginning and end? and 30mins is JOKE... that guy is clueless in his ramblings

pro-tip
only use one audio source... not both the handheld and the on camera (thats why you have the strange echo)... and the 2 camera thing is annoying

Pro-Tip: It only speaks poorly of you when you put someone down like that ;-) Everyone is in a different place with their fishing. Some folks like to share their experiences. They may not coincide with your experience, but that is no reason to put them down. You might even like this guy if you met him on the stream. So, while he may not be saying stuff you agree fully with, he put himself out there. He's certainly not popping shots at you under an assumed name on the internet. Play nice. Live and let live boys.

I'd say everything Bill N said was accurate. I'm not sure what he said to deserve criticism.

The 30 min to fight a fish was used to support his opinion that claims of 30+ fish days are an exaggeration.

moon1284 wrote:
I'd say everything Bill N said was accurate. I'm not sure what he said to deserve criticism.

The 30 min to fight a fish was used to support his opinion that claims of 30+ fish days are an exaggeration.

Well, I would say that his claim of 30 minute fights are an exaggeration and inaccurate as the norm for steelhead alley. If he learned how to land them efficiently, 30 fish days would be a possibility for him.

I don't take offense of Mr. Nagel's ramblings. Experienced doesn't always equate with expert.
This past Dec 3rd, while fishing a small Lk Erie trib, I landed 32 out of the 40 fish I hooked in roughly a 6 hour span. Since Mr. Nagel didn't see this happen, I must be lying(or exaggerating).

Sounds like a good day dano. I'm from wny also and probably fish a lot of the same water that you do. In a small creek, it's possible. In the big Erie trib or the Niagara, it's probably not as likely. I've probably watched some pinners on the big Erie trib catch 30, but they were pinners so it wasn't impressive, just annoying...

I agree 30 min fights are an exaggeration. A 10 minute fight is a very long one.

Good luck, maybe I'll see you on the water some time.

Sounded like a reasonable guy to me. Thirty minutes is a very long fight and I don't think a thirty fish day is exceptionally rare up there. I think it is more rare now than before the onset of the Internet and forums, but I am sure it has happened multiple times this year. I do agree that the majority of people reporting a thirty fish day ended in the mid to upper teens, but at that point who is really counting and who cares enough to get upset about it.

Back