Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Best Fly Fishing Magazines

From Pittsburgh, PA
I'm wondering what magazines most fly fishers like and why. Which ones do you subscribe to and what made you decide on that one?

I have a two year subscription to Fly Fusion and recently subscribed to Eastern Fly Fishing. The Fly Fusion subscription was a gift, but I can't quite figure out how it could be considered to be a periodical when issues seem to randomly appear. They have great photography, but like most national or international magazines on the sport, it focuses mainly on the dream fishing locations such as Henry's Fork, Montana, Alaska and British Columbia.

I love the articles in Eastern Fly Fishing, and one in particular a few years ago inspired me to make a week-long trip to Pine Creek in North Central PA this April.

The only thing I don't like about Eastern Fly Fishing is that the issues are bi-monthly, but I'm wondering if they publish with any form of regularity either since it's already March and the March-April issue hasn't yet arrived and the January-February issue is still shown as the "current issue" on their website.

Which magazines do you subscribe to and why? Do the issues come at regular intervals?

Posted on: 3/2 9:59

Re: Best Fly Fishing Magazines

From Pittsburgh
I'm not real crazy about any of them.
However, I still get fly fisherman. And I resubscribe to it only after they offer me the big discount - $10 a year for 6 issues. But I wouldn't pay the listed rate of $30. I'm just not that interested in it - or any other magazine - anymore.
I mainly read it to keep up on new gear and books. And it does have some fishing destinations pieces that I find enjoyable.

I don't think any magazine publishes monthly anymore

Posted on: 3/2 10:33

From Monessen, PA
Here is a prior discussion from the distant past:

Prior PAFF Magazine Thread

When I did read FF mags,I liked American Angler the best, but I was looking more for technique articles. Other famous FF mags emphasize destinations, photography, or whatever.

Posted on: 3/2 10:44

From Pittsburgh, PA
My two biggest complaints about any of them is that they don't seem to publish issues on a regular basis and that when they do, they are overloaded with ads.

Posted on: 3/2 11:16

From Gettysburg
I like a bunch of them....however, the quality of fishing and outdoor magazines is, I think, much diminished from where it was a generation ago. Like most if not all print media.....these magazines are victims of the times.

Posted on: 3/2 11:20

From Da 'Berg, PA
I subscribe to Eastern Fly Fishing and American Angler, if I can't fish I like to read about it.

Midatlantic Fly Fishing Guide is free and monthly. I always pick up a copy.

Posted on: 3/2 11:32

From Nazareth PA
The Drake
American Angler

Posted on: 3/2 11:41

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

1. Flyfishing and Tying Journal (Western slant)
2. The Drake (stories, not how-to)
3. Fly Rod & Reel

Posted on: 3/2 12:36

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Fly Tyer and Hatches

Posted on: 3/2 12:59

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Lancaster County
paflyfish.com

It has a wide variety of topics. Some are hit and miss but that is not unlike print magazines. The price is right - requires only an Internet connection. Sometimes, some pretty good articles, photos or videos show up. Some are original member content, others are aggregated from other online sources.

Posted on: 3/3 5:33

From Marietta, PA
The Drake. Hands down the best magazine in my opinion. But maybe I'm biased since they published my stuff.

Posted on: 3/3 6:17

From SE Pa
None. I've perused some at cabelas and could not find any that seemed remotely worth buying. That's not specific to fly fishing though since I don't have a single magazine subscription.

Posted on: 3/3 6:39

From LV
None of them, they just keep publishing the same stuff over and over and over...

Posted on: 3/3 9:44

From SW PA (Pittsburgh Area)
I subscribe to Fly Fisherman, American Angler, Eastern Fly Fishing, and Fly Tyer Magazine.

I"d say Fly Tyer is the most useful for a novice that wants to get into fly tying (and there was a person on eBay that was selling vouchers so that you get 3 years for less than $20, try to search for them, he might still have the vouchers...)

Eastern Fly Fishing is pretty good if you like to travel around this half of the country, but its a bit pricier. I found some back-issues on eBay as well, specific to PA streams, which I enjoyed.

American Angler and Fly Fisherman are pretty similar, and I see them being repetitive already as I go into my 2nd year with them.

Check Amazon & eBay for discount prices/vouchers, and it's not as painful. I agree with a previous poster, that I'm going to hold out renewing until they give me the "last chance deal"....

Posted on: 3/3 12:59

I re-upped to FFM, too, since their present issue had no beck photos. I hope this continues. If I see beck photos in future issues, I'll know I've been "had."

Posted on: 3/3 13:40

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com