« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Best Fly Fishing Magazines

I like the Drake personally. It's a solid porcelain throne read for sure

Posted on: 3/3 15:54

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Ohio
The internet. Whenever I'm at the local Gander Mtn. or anywhere else I always browse through the magazines and skim through some of the more interesting articles, but I couldn't really get myself to purchase any as there's such a wealth of info/articles on the web. I know it's not fly fishing centered, but if I had to pick one magazine to subscribe to it would probably be the PA Angler & Boater.

Quote:

rrt wrote:
I re-upped to FFM, too, since their present issue had no beck photos. I hope this continues. If I see beck photos in future issues, I'll know I've been "had."

It was only a matter of time before someone had to bring it up lol

Posted on: 3/3 15:56

From down the block from the Letort.
I'd buy the Drake if the local shop still carried it, I won't go out of my way to buy any magazine though. There was a time though, but after a two year or so cycle, all the mat'l's been recycled and repackaged for the most part. Smaller local-ish rags are still good though, the Mid-A Fly Fishing guide is a good quick read, Eastern Fly Fishing was decent, but I didn't re-up the subscription...these interwebz are pretty handy nowadays.

Posted on: 3/3 20:16

From Bucks County
I agree with the few guys that mentioned the Drake. Great read!

Posted on: 3/11 8:28

From Enola, PA
I subscribe to the Drake, and read This is Fly, and Southern Culture on the Fly online.

I am not looking for how-to articles though.

Posted on: 3/11 9:38

uhh...nevermind

I think American Angler is the best, but like most people said, I'm not that crazy about any of them any more. Maybe my 1st 20 years fly fishing, but not now. I'm only posting to add my vote to what others said. So,...Ditto.

Posted on: 3/11 22:26

From Pitts
I stick to the online ones because the content is fresher and more on top of recent news instead of a month late. These are the two best I think.
http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/blog/
http://www.hatchmag.com/blog/free-flies-year/7711174

Posted on: 3/12 0:59

From Philadelphia, PA
I think the place for print fly fishing publications in this day and age is long-form pieces. These pieces work in the online format as well, but not always as well (though design and presentation play a big part in whether it works or not).

Print is made for these lengthier pieces, and showcases them so well.

Posted on: 3/13 14:11

From Philadelphia PA
I get most of those mags...Fly Tyer is one of the best and most useful . I also get "Orvis News" which I enjoy as well. TU was to much about environmental issues and they're always trying to get me to become a lifetime member was overkill - so I let my subscription run out
American Angler - good stuff
Eastern Fly Fishing was also a likeable mag.

I think that after a while all mags and books for that matter pretty much start repeating their topics with different photos to them. This was most noticable with the Bass Pro Bass series books. It was like they just changed to cover picture and moved some chapters around.

Posted on: 3/13 15:10
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

Not being a technocrat, here are some questions: Can you flop down on a comfy chair in your fly tying room and read these online mags? On a Nook or Kindle? Or, do you have to sit at your computer or squint at a tiny phone screen to read them? Just a dinosaur wondering.

Posted on: 3/13 19:10

Although not strictly fly fishing the PA Angler has a fair number of Ff articles that are topical to PA - just could be more in depth.

The Drake has a few good articles but every other page is an ad and that bugs me.

Posted on: 3/13 19:32

From Boilingsprings
Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide is still a good read. Paul and Mike try to keep it fresh. Also I read Fur Fish and Game. If you like a different outlook at fishing it may be for you. I agree that there is only so much to write about and fancy words do not make a article worth reading.

Posted on: 3/13 20:13

From Gettysburg
Agree on the Mid-Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide.

Although not strictly fishing, I also enjoy PA Outdoor News.

Posted on: 3/13 20:52

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

rrt wrote:
Not being a technocrat, here are some questions: Can you flop down on a comfy chair in your fly tying room and read these online mags? On a Nook or Kindle? Or, do you have to sit at your computer or squint at a tiny phone screen to read them? Just a dinosaur wondering.

Many of the online mags are perfectly readable on existing tablets (iPad, Kindle Fire, Galaxy, etc) as is. Some print mags - like the excellent Fly Fish Journal - have iPad-tailored versions which are excellent.

We're working on an all new design/layout that will make the reading experience more pleasurable, as well. Some examples of which have already been rolled out.

But -- along your lines of thinking -- there's no one replicating the joy of a good book or well crafted print journal (i.e. FFJ) in the digital format. Though I think we'll be seeing closer approximations soon, they're different animals.

Posted on: 3/14 9:09

From Perkasie PA
The Drake and Fly Fisherman. I'll occasionally pick up Fly Fusion as well.

Posted on: 3/14 14:38

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com