Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

2 books I'm looking into buying

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I was at at book store the other day and was checking out a few books that looked pretty decent. I'm looking for a good book to identify the real insects to the tied version. The book I found that looked the best was "handbook of hatches". Also saw a book called "the fly tying bible" it was spiral bound and had I believe 100 patterns in it. Just wondering if anyone has seen or read these books and if they recomend them. thanks for the help!

Ryan

Posted on: 2008/3/2 20:30

Re: 2 books I'm looking into buying

From Bozeman
I did extensive fly tying book research (by that, I mean I drank tons of coffee at barnes and noble, and read most of them. I bought a bunch too), and found this to be one of the best:

http://tinyurl.com/2dc2vb

I can't recommend it enough. It kind of stinks... I don't have an excuse to buy any more fly tying books after getting this one.

Posted on: 2008/3/2 21:05

From Schwenksville
I have the "Fly Tying Bible". It's pretty good. I really enjoy the Fly Tyers Benchside Reference. It's a little pricy but has tons of good information. Amazon has both on sale I see.

Posted on: 2008/3/3 12:07

From Greensburg, PA
I've seen teh "bible" one its ok..the benchside reference is big and expensive but if you don't mind the investment (I got mine as a gift) It will answer most any tying question you have...If you read a recipe and you think, "how'd they do that?" You can look up that particular technique in the book.

Posted on: 2008/3/3 12:54

From Carlisle
I bought the fly tying bible when I was first starting out. The thing I liked about it was how it rated flies by the level of difficulty. It kind of gives you a sense of how your tying abilities are coming along. Other than that it wasn't the greatest in terms of instructions. I bought another book that was like the benchside reference in how it described a lot of different methods, but minus about 700 pages and no where near as detailed.

Posted on: 2008/3/3 15:03

From Schwenksville
I've picked up a few books from ebay at very reasonable prices. I especially like an Art Flick book I got a few months ago. It actaully has several famous tiers giving instructions on various flies. There are little hand drawn instructions on the sides of the main text for a few flies, the no hackle comes to mind.

Posted on: 2008/3/3 15:33

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Thanks for the input guys!

Ryan

Posted on: 2008/3/9 13:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com