"Trout" by Ray Bergman

WildTigerTrout

WildTigerTrout

I recently found a copy at a used bookstore. Original copyright date is 1938. My copy was published in 1947. What a wealth of information and old fly patterns (Recipe's too!). I love reading about flyfishing from years past. Anybody out there have a copy of this fine old book?

I have one that is a seventh printing from 1944. It is in good shape but the pages have yellowed. An excellent book that I treasure since it was given to me by an old fly fisher friend whom has passed on.

I had a copy given to me when I first started fly-fishing as a teen. I lost it or gave it away because I thought it was filled with old patterns and stuff, and outdated....... :roll: :oops: :-(

1947, IIRC, is the pre-revised edition. I know it adds spin fishing, and expands on some of the fly fishing, but I'm unaware of what these changes are.

As for the book, my 2000ish edition proclaims it to be "the Bible of trout fishing." Lofty praise. Its an amazing book, I bough it strictly for the colour plates, as I find reading technical manuals to be excrucitiatingly boring, regardless of how much I may need it.

The part in there where he described the magic of the pre dawn and how it becomes just another day at sun up is the single best "fishing lore" I have ever read.It has guided me for over fifty years.lol

A truly wonderful book--certainly among my five favorite fishing books and probably the one I consider the best "how to" book. He fished nymphs with indicators long before they were re-invented! I need to re-read it soon.

pete41 wrote:
The part in there where he described the magic of the pre dawn and how it becomes just another day at sun up is the single best "fishing lore" I have ever read.It has guided me for over fifty years.lol

Tru dat dawg bout the morning fishin!

Ray Bergman would love Snookie!

I've got my grandfathers 1952 2nd edition that I have been rereading since I was in grade school.

I have a copy of the 1942 - fifth printing. I found this to be an insightful book. I am often reminded of excerpts from the book while I am on the stream from something I see or experience while fishing. It is a must read for every fly fisherman IMO.

zenherper wrote:
I have a copy of the 1942 - fifth printing. I found this to be an insightful book. I am often reminded of excerpts from the book while I am on the stream from something I see or experience while fishing. It is a must read for every fly fisherman IMO.
After reading my 1947 copy I must agree with you about the book being a must read. It is amazing to me how so much of what Mr. Bergman wrote about still holds true for todays flyfishing! A GREAT Book.

Update, I found a 1970 revised second edition. In great shape. I could not resist and bought it.

I don't own a copy, but my library does. Pete recommended I read it. I absolutely LOVED it. Talk about really capturing the spirit of our sport.

I have the first printing of the 3rd ed. (1976) My copy has been beautifully pummled by time's wear and tear. The color plates by Dr. Burke remain the main stylistic influence on the fly pattern line drawings I have scribbled for my own books.

:)

http://www.ronpswegman.com

Back