Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

"Bug Water," by A. Thomason

From Howard Falls
Arlen Thomason is a photographer, writer, flyfisher and as fate would have it a recently retired molecular biologist. His writing is at once witty, scientific and concise, without pontificating. His love of buggy trout water is obvious as evidenced by the countless man-hours he put into the astonishingly sharp photos of, well, BUGS.
I'd expected plenty of campy splash pages with a few egg-headed latin captions reminicent of Wil.E.Coyote, but in his 211 pages Thomason produces tasteful and relevant bug awe. A little entomology here, some hydro/geophysics there... splendid stills and color sketches of tied flies (w/recipes)... and an (pardon the pun) eye opening section devoted to the '-ology' behind the eyesight of trout, with some well thought out presentation devoted to how a trout's eye acquires objects using refracted light, etc.
Does this book reek of science? Well, not exactly. What it does seem to reek of is a biologist's love of of his hobby of flyfishing, married to his passion for photography, then having a three-way with his skill as a writer... so to speak.
In short, flyfishers NEED this book as much as flyfishing needs caring, intelligent and observant folks like its author.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 12:39

Re: "Bug Water," by A. Thomason

From Eastern PA
Looking at the Amazon preview it looks like there is some great photography in there as well. Great review. Certainly peaked my interest.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 21:30

Re: "Bug Water," by A. Thomason

From Howard Falls
Good call, jdaddy... Amazon would've been the $mart way to go, but i was unable to delay gratification like most adults, so i drove around local bookstores 'til i found it. Nabbed the ONLY copy from Chester Co Books and Music.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 13:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com