HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: "A River runs through it"

From Richfield, PA
Quote:

krott243 wrote:

You know the river they claim the big blackfoot is not really the big blackfoot in the movie?

Most of it filmed on the Gallitain and Boulder rivers as the Blackfoot was too polluted at the time.

Shot mostly in Bozeman and Livingston also instead of Missoula.

edit-Came across this article after posting.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/ ... e1-b043-001871e3ce6c.html

Posted on: 2013/1/21 8:18
Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

http://www.paundercurrent.com/
http://paundercurrent.blogspot.com/

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
Has anyone ever both read a book and seen the movie, but actually liked the movie better?

Don't know about better, but equal. To be fair, I saw the movie first, and later read the book. Thoroughly enjoyed them both, but when I read the book, I already knew the story, and at that point it was mostly about discovering what was different about the story between book and movie. So that probably took away from it some.

As movies from books go, they did not deviate all that much. Took a few liberties, but the thrust of it was the same.

While yes, there is fly fishing, and yes it is described well and in the movie the scenery is good, I still do not view it as a "fly fishing" movie. It's a story of a family. The fly fishing is secondary and it wouldn't take much away from the story if it were say, golf, instead of fly fishing.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 8:27

From Monessen, PA
Yes, but "A Cartpath Runs Through It" is not a pleasant sounding title.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 8:38

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I am haunted by sand traps.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 8:43

Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

rrt wrote:
I have to agree with Dwight. I think the movie is all right, but the novella is much better.

Has anyone ever both read a book and seen the movie, but actually liked the movie better?

Books can tell a story like no movie really can. The thoughts of the characters can be expressed in a book which can be a whole story on it's own. Also your own imagination paints the picture of a scene which often is far more vivid or spectacular than any movie can depict.

I've read a book first and have often been disappointed by a movie because many parts of the story are often "lost" in a movie. And the reverse, if I really like a movie, I can be sure I will really love the book.

I think it's true that when you read a book first, then see the movie, the movie often seems disappointing.

When you read the book first, you imagine visual images of what's going on, including what the characters look like, the scenery, the action etc., creating a "movie" in your mind.

But then when you see the movie that Hollywood made, things don't look the same as you imagined. So, it seems jarring, creating the sense that they "got it wrong."

But if you see the movie first, the movie supplies the visuals. So when you read the book afterward, the visual images in your head tend to be what you saw in the movie.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 8:49

From South Central PA
A movie that is better than the book: A Clockwork Orange. However, in this day and age it would probably seem very tame.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 11:22

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
I am haunted by sand traps.

pcray's shortest post ever!

I hate reading, so all movies are better than books.

Actually 2 books that I thoroughly enjoyed are Lee Wulff's Compleat and The Fly Fishingest Gentlemen. Couldn't put either of those down. Would love to see a movie made about Lee Wulff's life.

My wife actually enjoys a River Runs Through It. It didn't get me into fly fishing, but definitely compels me to do it more and enjoy it every time.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 12:47

From near Hershey, Pa
When the movie came out I liked that it showed the characters flyfishing which was mabe even more fringe back then.

When I watched it recently, I was more taken by the limited amount of gear the characters were using and the bamboo rods in the film which I took for Grangers due to their nickle silver reel seats and the film taking place in the West. Grangers were made in Denver Co.

For what it is worth, I think the reason why most people like books better than the movie is because a book lets our imagination fill in the gaps rather than a director cutting things down and giving us their vision of what the story should be.

Shock

Posted on: 2013/1/23 12:54

Many people believe "The Movie" led to an increase in the popularity of flyfishing. And that's true.

But it also went the other way. The growing popularity of flyfishing led to the making of "The Movie."

Back in 1976, when the book came out, probably no one in the movie business would have considered producing a major movie that had flyfishing as a major theme. Because flyfishing was just not popular enough.

But flyfishing had been growing steadily through the 1970s and 1980s and early 1990s, and was getting big enough that it made sense financially to make a movie that featured flyfishing.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 14:17

I will second the recommendation for anything Norman McClean wrote. "A River Runs Thorugh It" and "Young Men and Fire" are his classics - but everything is good. A hard to match blend of outdoor sensibility, a look at the West when it was wilder, and just good stories.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 17:17

From Hershey
Paul Newman negotiated with Norman for about a decade trying to get him to agree to allow the book to be made into a movie.It wasn't until right before McClean passed that they came to an agreement on the screenplay. I remember reading that Newman was originally going to play Paul in the movie,but by the time it went into production he was to old to do it .I enjoy reading the book more than the movie,but I wont turn down a chance to watch it if it's on.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 19:24

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

Hopdemon wrote:
Paul Newman negotiated with Norman for about a decade trying to get him to agree to allow the book to be made into a movie.It wasn't until right before McClean passed that they came to an agreement on the screenplay. I remember reading that Newman was originally going to play Paul in the movie,but by the time it went into production he was to old to do it .I enjoy reading the book more than the movie,but I wont turn down a chance to watch it if it's on.
It was Robert Redford not Paul Newman.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 20:22

From Hershey
Your right WTT,I misspoke.Thanks for setting it right

Posted on: 2013/1/24 9:08

From Lambertville
I recently bought the movie (used DVD) for $4.99.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 9:18

From Ephrata, PA
It was actually the first DVD that I bought when I got my first DVD player back in the day.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 10:13

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com