winter fishing

sandfly

sandfly

heck this out, wonder how many fish died while people fished the last cold spell !

https://www.hatchmag.com/articles/catch-and-release-concerns-winter-fishing/7714530

Interesting read, esp since I fished today. Though not a great day, I c/r about a dozen trout (and a couple more that were too small to count, little guys that were practicing to be trout).

Since the air temp was about 50 degrees and the water 44, I do not think temps would have affected these trout's ability to live healthily.

Interesting to me was that several of these trout were rainbows in the 12" range -- from a wild brown trout stream. I suspect that they were the progeny of rainbows that some bucket biologist placed in the stream at some time.

Anyhow, Sandfly, the article you attached was interesting.

I kinda wish there was a little more science behind that article, but I agree with the points from a common sense perspective. I'm also a wimp when it comes to cold and have to be really desperate to get out to bother fishing below freezing. But I've certainly done it, and could do a better job keeping fish in water. The point about the gloves is very good, it's easy to be lazy and leave them on. I like fishing woolly buggers in winter because if they are hooked near the edge of the mouth, I can just twist the fly out without touching the fish or the cold water.

One thing to remember on wild trout streams in winter, regardless of air/water temps and whether you are catching anything, stay out of gravel areas! Don't want to inadvertently step on some trout eggs.

Are the odds of killing fish higher in the winter? Probably.
Do I try to eliminate their time out of water when it's below freezing? Yes
Do I think winter c and r fishing has a detrimental effect on a trout population as a whole? Lol no.
Is it good to get word out about handling fish in the winter and every other season? Absolutely

Nice article, thanks for posting.

Back