where to go tomorrow morning

echuck66

echuck66

I'm in the Pittsburgh area and am trying to figure out where to go fishing tomorrow morning. I like Neshannock, but I'm afraid it's probably going to be too warm and too low.

I would like to fish the Yough, but it's a big river and I haven't had much luck there.

Anybody have any suggestions for a good place to go wading tomorrow morning near Pittsburgh? The Yough is the only game in town I hear for cold water.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Charlie

Well, you have the Yough. Oil might still have some trout, though it's probably in it's transition to bass time. Most other larger streams, including Neshanock, are likely already there.

Fish for bass. Or, if you want trout, focus on smallish wild trout streams. There are plenty in the Laurel Highlands, or NW PA (generally gotta get north of 80 and east of Oil City/Franklin, though that region is really where it starts). Not much around the city.

Where are you in Pittsburgh?

A friend of mine fished Neshannock yesterday and he didn't do that well. Low water and probably getting warm. I fished Cool Spring(in the Neshannock watershed) last week and caught a few trout but they were picky. Don't know how far you want to drive, but what about warmwater? I fished two warmwater rivers yesterday and did alright, but they're farther than Neshannock, although you may get some bass in there too.

I would say the Yough would be a good idea.

edit: Pcray posted while I was typing. I agree with him, and if you're willing to drive that far for trout(past Oil City/Franklin) I'd suggest also trying out the Allegheny, French Creek, or Oil Creek for bass. I've caught smallies in Tionesta Creek too. Shenango is a good option(one of the rivers I fished yesterday, it's a little high though but fishable and has great color).

To be fair, if he lives N or NW of the city, NW PA is as close as the Laurel Highlands and the Yough.

Yeah, I live right by the airport, in Moon, so I'm thinking the Yough might be my best option. Gonna give it a shot anyway. Thanks for the input.

Off to bed now for an early, early start tomorrow.

If you're down that way you might also consider the fly fishing area on Dunbar. There are usually trout rising around the jack dams(if you can get a spot) all summer long. Griffiths Gnats and Ants seem to work best for me. I may be there or the Yough at Confluence tomorrow with my son(driving from Beaver Co.). If you see a guy on the Yough with a two handed rod, come say "Hi."

Back