what species shuck

mute

mute

clung to a boulder, pretty big about 10-12

Most definitely a golden stonefly They crawl to dry land to hatch so the "emerger" stage/pattern is not a player. For the dry, a yellow stimulator

And the pattern....

Wow, great question and great response. With pictures no less! That alone makes it so much easier for me.(LoL) No, really in a seriousness, Great post and pics.

Run that pattern through the fast moving riffles and get ready for a large smack and your line to stop abruptly.

Usually if there are a lot of shucks you can look around and find a still born. A couple years ago on the Lehigh there were hundreds of shucks on rocks. I was surprised by the percentage of still borns. It was in mid June, the shucks looked just like yours and they were golden stoneflies.

As Maurice points out-stoneflys crawl to shore and emerge.
In the West the best known stonefly is the Salmon fly.
The reason size 12 Royal Wullf is so deadly in fast water,especially on cloudy days,is because Salmon flies emerge all summer long,a few at a time,and not just during the main hatch.
Try a yellow bodied Wullf at dusk or on a cloudy day in the fast water and see what happens.I know stones have down wings but in fast water the fish are keying on the body and you can see the wings.Thats dry flyfishing excitement when they hit them or hoppers.

First time I used that pattern was in Little Pine Creek. I put on a strike indicator and was waiting for that dainty little slurp but it was just like MKern said. What a wallup--was a 19" brown.

Back