we need rain darn it

L

Lonewolve

this lack of rain sucks eggs.......gonna be a bad summer if things dont change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't you worry none about that rain, ya hear, them boy from Texas got something to make it rain real good

Everyday i wake up and look at the long range forecast

We got a coating of sleet/hail yesterday here in SCPA. It's still on the ground this morning and I hope the stuff in my garden survives.

I've been away from trout fishing for 5 years so now that I'm back into it I'm kind of excited and enthusiastic. Last week I scouted out the Pennypack and the Tohicken and the low water levels are a bit discouraging.

On Monday, a reliable source told me that NJ has cut back on stocking streams and are putting the extras into lakes.

NJ has the right idea,I wonder how low the streams in SE Penna. have to get before Penna. wakes up.

Only 2 green dots in hte entire state. Yikes.

real.gif

The drought monitor says

"According to the USGS, stream flow levels were at near- or record lows for April 10 at 1-, 7-, 14-, and 28-day averages in much of New England and the mid-Atlantic."

Drought Monitor

I don't dispute any of the "needing rain" stuff. Just picking nits.

But the map compares to the averages for that day, not to year round averages. The exact same gauge reading could correspond to red in April and green in August.

Nonetheless, my view: Yep, we need rain and things are extremely low for this time of year. It also is not a good start to the season, leading into summer. But all in all, if given the choice I'd take an extremely dry March and April with a wet July and August anytime. If this is to be our worst drought over a several year period, the timing is good, not bad. Just keepin perspective and hopin for future rains.

Wasn't July of last summer completely dry and hot?

Last year we had about 3 weeks of really hot and dry. Other than that, it was like a monsoon from April to July and then August to October.

as pcray noted, it's all relative. They're low for this time of year, but higher than typical summer flows. A few soaking spring rains will fill the aquifers right up.... showers and tstorms won't cut it... especially with the vegetation getting underway.

Honestly the only silver lining is the drought following the wettest year on record as mentioned above. That said, I have stopped fly fishing for awhile, and won't start until we get some rain. There are plenty of guys beating up on them without me, and I like fishing fast water on the whole anyway.

I does look pretty bad out there now. We all could have said the same thing about the conditions seven months ago.

Crazy to think at that time parts of Lancaster County received 15 inches of rain in just a few days. I guess we shouldn't be surprised after one of the wettest years it is followed up by a very dry season. Mother Nature has a funny ways of making those averages work.

The short term weather patterns don't hold a lot of promise , but hope we will see some changes soon. If all else fails I predicate heavy rains to start in one month on May 16 just in time for the Jam.

bam wrote:
Only 2 green dots in hte entire state. Yikes.

real.gif

Might be the new math they're teachin' these days, but I see three ;-)

Two of the three are below dam discharges (Pymatuming and East Branch Clarion); it looks like there must have been an isolated downpour on Chartiers Creek in Carnegie to raise that water level..

What's really not good is this:

USGS.03028000.16.00010..20120409.20120416..0..gif

Came down through there yesterday; water was definitely low and with the way the West Branch is in some places, all open, its not surprising it heated up almost 15 degrees on a day like today.

Don't worry folks, the jamboree is coming up in just over a month. I can assure you the streams will reach their high water mark for the jam...

Why don't you religious guys pray for rain?
Or don't you pray for anything that can be measured?

The hot, low water in the trout streams bothers me more than the poachers.

Back