we need a new poll

tomgamber

tomgamber

lets take a poll and see what the topic of the next poll should be. Only spec regs will be open for the next 2 weeks and it'll be getting wild in here as people get all fired up...it usually does anyway...sot tell me...

What do you want to know...what should we poll?

Yes, I'm bored. I'm so bored I can't even think of a topic so I'll let you guys get started ad then maybe like one of your ideas.

how about something like...
For your first trip of the year... do you fish

* deep fish nymphs and wets
* mostly streamers
* subsurface with midges and emergers
* drive for hours looking for hatches

or maybe we could start the whole mountian lion debate again. LMAO

Best Fishing Songs is my vote:

Here is my pick, Fishin' Blues by Taj Mahal

Betcha' goin' fishin' all o' da' time
Baby goin' fishin' too.
Bet yo' life, Yo' sweet wife
Catch mo' fish than you.

Many fish bites if ya' got good bait,
Here's a little tip that I would like to relate.
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait.
I'ma goin fishin', Yes I'm goin' fishin,
And my baby goin' fishin' too.

I went on down to my fav'rit fishin' hole
Baby grab me a pole an' line.
Throw my pole on in, caught a nine poun' catfish
Now ya' know I brought 'im home for suppertime.

Provin' any fish bites if ya' got good bait,

Baby brother 'bout to run me outta my mind,
Say, can I go fishin' wi' chu?
I took 'im on down to the fishin' hole
Now what do you think that he did do?
Pulled a great big fish out da' bottom o' da pond,
Now he laughed and jumped 'cause he was real gone.

Put 'im in da' pot baby put 'im in da' pan
Honey cook 'im 'til he nice an' brown.
Make a batch o' buttermilk, Hoe cakes Mama
An' ya' chew them thangs an' ya' chomp 'em on down

Singin' any fish bites if ya' got good bait,

Play da' blues.....

Betcha' goin' fishin' all o' da' time
Baby goin' fishin' too.
Bet yo' life, Yo' sweet wife
She gonna Catch mo' fish than you.

Many fish bites if ya' got good bait,
O Here's a little tip that I would like to relate.
I'ma goin fishin', Mama's goin' fishin,
And the baby goin' fishin' too.

For some reason "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad" always makes me feel like I should be on my way to the stream.

I really don't know too many fishing songs, Rambling Jack Elliot I think remade a Guthrie song about fishing.

primus- fish on

How about we poll everyone for their dream destination, whether it be Alaska, New Zealand, Labrador, Tierra Del Fuego, Montana, Kamchatka, or any other remote and $$$$ place.

I'll second the destination poll!

It's not a poll, but I have a thread in the Reader's Corner that asks what books you would recommend to new fly fishers. Check it out. Add your favorites!

>>Best Fishing Songs is my vote:

Here is my pick, Fishin' Blues by Taj Mahal >>

Good pick!

Just for the record though, Fishing Blues was recorded in 1965 by the Lovin' Spoonful on their first album, 3 years prior to Taj Mahal.

John Sebastian was always monkeying around with these jug band/gritty blues tunes like this one. There's a bunch of them on this first album.

But that's probably something only us graybeards would know...:)

One of my favorite songs that at least makes some mention of fishing is Van Morrison's "And it Stoned Me".

My dream destinations are pretty modest, actually.

I'd like to go to Whiteshell Prov. Park in Manitoba for 6-7 lb. smallmouth on a fly.

I'd like to fly fish for big pike in Northern Saskatchewan.

I'd like to fish for 3 species wild trout in the small streams of the White Mountains in New Hampshire.

Dear RLeeP,

"The Music Never Stopped", "Sweet Melissa" or "Chestnut Mare" are my favorite going fishing tunes.

As for dream destinations, I'd be happy if once again I could arrive at any popular Central PA limestoner after 7:30AM on a weekend and find a spot to park and fish. :-D

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I started listening to CDs on the way to streams after arriving, one time, having a tune stuck in my head. The last thing you hear on the radio is not always what you want circling your brain during hours of fishing. So now I make sure I pick my own. I have a Neil Young Cd that usually serves me well. Although, now that you mention it, Tim, an Allman Bros. CD might work too.

Favorite Pennsylvania trout stream?

What's my favorite fishing song?

Lynard Skynard "Don't Ask Me No Questions"

Have fun reading between the lines. :lol:

My favorite fishing music - Franz Schubert's Piano Quintet in A Major, "The Trout"

We definitely need to run a poll to see which restaurant the high stick of the Jam weekend wants to buy supper at. :-D

Festus,
I didn't recon that you had resteraunts up your way. I was figgurin that you got your vittles from the woods.

(I'm broadening my horizons by taking up foreign languages)

RLeeP wrote:
One of my favorite songs that at least makes some mention of fishing is Van Morrison's "And it Stoned Me".

TimMurphy wrote:
"The Music Never Stopped", "Sweet Melissa" or "Chestnut Mare" are my favorite going fishing tunes.

tomgamber wrote:
Although, now that you mention it, Tim, an Allman Bros. CD might work too.

That's uncanny. Van Morrison and the Allman Brothers have been my favorite goin' fishin' CDs for a while. In fact a couple years ago on this board the subject came up and I mentioned "Stoned Me" as a favorite fishing song (Ohhh the water, OH OH the water.....).

Chestnut Mare, now that brings up memories. Saw the Byrds sing it at the Tower Theater in Philly circa 1972. Ah, bittersweet nostalgia. But I digress........

Dream destinations? Alaska - yes. New Zealand - yes (Dude, I'm jealous). Tierra Del Fuego - yes. And Andros Island for big bonefish. So many dream destinations; so little time (and money)!

I'm no country guy.... but http://www.twin-music.com/lyrics_file/paisley/part/i2.html

Deam destinations?

mongolia, scotland (been there but no fishing), alaska (anywhere), and argentina/chile (anywhere in patagonia)

My dream destination is a trout stream full of wild trout in a beautiful location with an ever present hatch. There would also be beautiful nekkid wimmin roaming the banks with pints of Guinness for me to drink.

Now for a reality trip, I am going to say Russia or Cuba. Just gotta save the pennies and nickles for a few years.

I like to listen to anything from The Band when I go fishing. It just has that outdoorish sound to the music. What a talented bunch of musicians they were together. I also listen to the Grateful Dead (that is everyday though). As far as going somewhere new fishing, I want to go to Alaska.

Troy

Back