tricos?

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I'm headed up to the Oil City area to fish either Oil Creek, Little Sandy or maybe some other streams this week and was wondering if any have any tricos yet? I haven't fished up there very much and am just getting into hatch patterns so any help would be appreciated. I haven't fished over a trico hatch yet either so any good patterns would also help.

Thanks,

Ryan

Do not know about up there but they are now coming off Spring Creek and Big Fishing Creek. I waan toss some dave's hoppers too love those big hits

Tricos are coming off down here in the Cumberland Valley.

I wouldn't waste my time on Oil Creek for trout right now. The water has probably not gone below 70 for many days. It's probably getting much warmer than that in the afternoon. Little Sandy might be better but probably not by too much.

I see you're from Monaca, so Oil and Sandy are a fair haul for you.

My advice would be to just bite the bullet and hit Spring Creek in Centre Country. I fished it this morning. Tricos were fairly light but the trout rose steadily from about 7:00 to around 9:00 AM. A #22 Griffith's Gnat got many takes. The only problem is the fishing was incredibly slow the rest of the day. This is typical summer fishing on Spring.

You may want to check out Yellow Creek in Bedford county. It is another limestone spring creek. I don't know much about it though so I can't comment on the trico situation there.

The weather is going to cool off somewhat in the coming week so the Little Juniata might be an option too. It has pretty good Trico hatches in many areas and it tends to fish better through the day than Spring does but the water temps are influenced much more by warm weather. If it's too warm, the fish aren't going to cooperate much. However, the situation there is much better than Oil Creek. BTW, It is also a little closer to you than Spring.

Good Luck,

Kev

Thanks for the input... I plan on going out on Wed of this week and want to get into some trout. I'd love to hit a nice hatch but I'm sure water temps are pretty important right now. Any advice for a place to go within about an hour drive of me would be appreciated. Thanks!

The Yough is probably the only water within one hour of you that is not too warm for good trout fishing right now. Virtually all of the creeks in western PA are freestone streams and they simply won't fish well when the daytime temps rise to the high 80's and the night time temps do not go much below 70. You might get a couple fish early in the morning but thats about it. Fishing usually starts improving again during the last week or so of August when the nights start to get cooler, but until then, the days when conditions will actually be good on local streams will be few and far between. You might find some small wild trout streams that are still cool enough right now, but they are most likely very low and clear.

Also, you seem stuck on Oil Creek but that is still a pretty long trip to try and catch a few trout. The reality is that Oil is probably fishing as badly or worse than closer streams such as Neshannock and Slippery Rock (which I know you fish). So, if you're going to drive 2 hours for a slow day trying to catch stocked trout that are in survival mode, you might as well drive another 45 min and fish a stream where the fish are healthy, temps are reasonable, and the fish are at least actively feeding at some point during the day. (ie. Tricos on Spring Creek, Yellow, or maybe LJ).

Or fish for smallmouth.

Kev

Thanks. I'm taking a day off of work to head out before I start my new job and don't have much time to fish so I wanted to hit a new stream. I know it's not the best time of the year to fish, but wanted to try something new. Thanks for everyone's input. I might try one of a few smaller streams for wilds, or head out somewhere local that I fish all the time.

Anyone fish Pine Creek upstream of North Park in the Wexford area? I've fished it a few times over the past few years but haven't had much success.

What time do the tricos usually start to come off on Spring and Big Fishing Creeks?

What time do the tricos usually start to come off on Spring and Big Fishing Creeks?

They've been coming off for at least several days now. The action will start around 7:00 AM and last till around 9:00 - 9:30, maybe a little later, then die off rapidly. Tricos will appear everyday through September.

Kev

How far up are they being seen at this point.

How far up are they being seen at this point.

They don't work like that. They pretty much come off all at once. Some areas will be heavier than others but the hatch doesn't seem to work it's way upstream like some other hatches. Additionally, the hatch lasts a LONG time. Until October is typical.

Kev

Back