HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: testing the drone

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
I recommend getting photos of anglers you know, or get permission first.

Do you legally have to have permission?

Posted on: 4/8 8:33

Quote:

BradFromPotter wrote:
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

Do you legally have to have permission?

I don't know.

Posted on: 4/8 8:40

From Lambertville
In general, if you and the subject are in a public place such as a public street or stream, it's legal. If you're taking a photo of a single individual, it's best to be polite and ask permission.

It gets complicated if the person is in a private place and/or the photo is to be used for commercial purposes.

Posted on: 4/8 8:43

From NC PA Mountains
I know to sell it you have to have permission.

Posted on: 4/8 9:01

For those of you without drones, here is a video of a hot air balloon or a simple kite camera mount made by the UVA scholars lab. Pretty neat way to get aerial pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYilJ3kDLuI

Posted on: 4/8 9:11

There's the issue of photographing people and publishing their recognizable image without permission, and that issue has been around a long time.

But with the drone there is also going to be the issue of people simply not liking a flying, buzzing device anywhere near them. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, as they become more common.

Posted on: 4/8 9:12

great video, but I don't expect drones in the little ravines and rhodo streams I usually fish. unless amazon ones can deliver cold drinks !

Posted on: 4/8 9:19

Webmaster
Troutbert,

RC has it right, in public places anyone can be photographed. The question is expectation of privacy. For example on a public streets the courts have ruled individuals do not have the expectation of privacy. Same with with public parks and most government locations.

Your local mall, not so much. If you walk into a mall with a big DSLR and honking lens the mall cops will be on you in moments kicking you out. They are permitted to do so as it is private property.

Then the issue of fair use comes into play. It is how you use the images is always the issue. Personal use, news and fine art generally no permission or release needed. Journalist never really need permission as they just shoot the images and video it it get's used in the media.

Advertising and commercial use use is when it gets complicated then model releases are required.

We already have a lot of public images be captured everyday: Street cameras, Police in car videos and Google Street View.

I am generalizing the law here in the USA.

Posted on: 4/8 10:22

Any worries flying that thing over water?
Hitting a branch, going too low, malfunction, ect...

1 splash down, sounds like a thousand dollar mistake

Posted on: 4/8 10:45

From Landenberg, PA
very useful for Saltwater fly fishing on a big beach - it shows you where the structure and or bait is.

a guy up on Cape Cod flew one through the new beach break - they went out their on a boat, found a sandbank to set up on, then sent the drone out.

i'm not sure i'd put something expensive like a GoPro on one though.

Posted on: 4/8 11:13

From Montgomery, PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

Don't fly it close to people you don't know, without getting their permission first.

How was the fishing on YWC?

I would never fly it around people I do not know. we only fished for an hour or so, with 1 hook up. water was up but clear flowing around 259 cfm.. its currently around 270 and dropping which is good to see..

Posted on: 4/8 12:46

From Montgomery, PA
Quote:

Rollingdog wrote:
Any worries flying that thing over water?
Hitting a branch, going too low, malfunction, ect...

1 splash down, sounds like a thousand dollar mistake

this thing is pretty powerful.. I have yet to fly it into anything, but some videos I've seen the propellers cut through small branches and such before righting itself.. and the replacement props are very cheap relatively speaking to the unit itself..

yes I've thought about slashdown, but from what I hear, its as simple as removing power and letting the unit fully dry out.. according to consumer reports the drone floats, so it wont sink in a big hole or anything..

im getting more brave each flight within reason of course

Posted on: 4/8 12:49

From Montgomery, PA
Quote:

geebee wrote:
very useful for Saltwater fly fishing on a big beach - it shows you where the structure and or bait is.

a guy up on Cape Cod flew one through the new beach break - they went out their on a boat, found a sandbank to set up on, then sent the drone out.

i'm not sure i'd put something expensive like a GoPro on one though.

this on is specifically set up with a gimbal mount for the gopro hero3.. no previous gopro's will adapt to it. when the gimbal is powered on, you can move the drone in any direction and the gimbal keeps the camera centered. awesome feature lets you tilt the gopro up and down..

Posted on: 4/8 12:51

From Montgomery, PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
There's the issue of photographing people and publishing their recognizable image without permission, and that issue has been around a long time.

But with the drone there is also going to be the issue of people simply not liking a flying, buzzing device anywhere near them. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, as they become more common.

I completely agree.. the people present in this video are my friends and of course allowed me to film them.

come opening day where I fish, I may not see another person besides me friends so i'll be able to get stock footage for what I want to do..

I don't ever see myself taking public videos of people. seems a bit intrusive... though I wouldn't mind having some sort of release feature to waterballoon bomb my neighbords that I dislike.. but that's a different story

Posted on: 4/8 12:53

cool video, and fun to call it a drone, but isn't really a RC chopper with digicam?

maybe a drone would sense the ground and fly auto low and through obstacles?

just questions I know nothing about this stufff

Posted on: 4/8 13:05

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com