Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: strange occurrences

From Pgh
Two strange—actually more scary—incidents happened to me on Dunbar Creek years ago.

One time, I was on the stream fishing when I heard a screech and crash on Dunbar Road close to where my car was parked. Fearing the worst, I scrambled up the bank and ran down the path to the parking area along Dunbar Road. My car was okay, but I noticed an old flatbed truck piled head on into a tree further down the road. I walked towards it thinking someone may be hurt. The truck door opened and a guy literally rolled out of the driver’s side holding a plastic milk jug. I yelled to see if he was okay. He looked at me, jumped to his feet, said he was okay, started to mumble something incoherently, then staggered towards me… all the while swigging his “milk.” Apparently, he was fine, and I’m sure he was feeling much better than me. I walked back to my car and drove away.

Another day, years later, I was done fishing and taking my waders off in the upper parking lot of the Betty Knox section. A dude pulls his car up right behind me, blocking me in. He gets out with a sheath knife in his hand. The guy looked like he’d been on the losing side of way too many fights. I figured I was in trouble. He asked me if I wanted to buy a knife. He pulls it out of the sheath and said something like, “It’s real nice and sharp.” I thanked him, told him I already have one at home. Got in my car, started it up and sat there until he decided to pull away. It took way too long. A buddy of mine who was a state trooper out of Uniontown at the time told me I was lucky. He may have been “sizing me up.” He said the local “growers” of the cash crop up in the gamelands there have been known to be pretty rough at times.

DISCLAIMER: This was many years ago. I have fished Dunbar Creek many, many times since without incident.

Posted on: 11/14 14:25

From Other side of the tracks
This isn't fishing, but it happened next to a tiny native stream, part of it originated at Mother-in-Law's spring house. I fished it several times back in the day, but that day I was working in the garden.

I heard tires screech, a crash, then the sound of glass rattling down the road. I knew that sound. Someone hit a deer.

I ran to offer assistance.

Well, as it turned out, it wasn't a deer. A young lady hit a bear that had come out of the swampy elderberry patch right below the garden. I know because I backtracked it to within 50 feet of where I was previously at. It had probably been sleeping in there and my presence woke it up.

That poor girl was unharmed, but very shaken up and crying. She said she hit a bear cub. Well, I saw the tracks, and it wasn't a cub. Not huge, but not a cub.

Car only had about 1000 miles on it and it may have been totaled. It was a mess.

I could see where the bear slid down the road after the impact (fir was wet), then it got up and ran off. Only a very small amount of blood.

I tracked it through the high grass to just inside the woods, and then decided it wouldn't be smart to track it any further, even if I could see the tracks in the woods.

Oh, and when I did fish that crick, you could say I caught my limit.

Posted on: 11/14 14:51

From Philadelphia PA
not much to mention here....
I was sitting at my parents garage in MO after my dad's funeral. I saw a small white cloud float behind my car from right to - well it never came out the left side.

Had a dream that FD showed up for the Flyfishing Jam and I actually knew him.

Posted on: 11/14 14:55

Remember: Never replace "I Don't Know How" with "I Can't"

Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:

Had a dream that FD showed up for the Flyfishing Jam and I actually knew him.

Been to a few. It's possible we met, but as short as you are, I probably never saw you.

I'll try to make the next one.

I considered wearing a Sasquatch suit to one until I realized some anglers carry guns.

Posted on: 11/14 15:00

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Brother and i were fishing small stream. Came across 3 college aged females in bathing suits mud wrestling. They were embarrassed upon seeing us and we just gave a polite nod and walked past. Boy were we dumb!

On Tully, i was wading and at midday a raccoon wondered along shore. Saw me, stopped, and snarled and growled. He wasnt getting in water and i wasnt going to shore! I threw a rock or two to try to get it to leave, but it held its ground. So I crossed to other bank and started walking. He stayed right with me whole way on other side of stream, and every time id stop itd growl again. I was quitting anyway, so i walked to car, drove away, and called WCO with story.

I hooked a beaver once. Spin fishing. Musta crossed my line. Rod bent over and drag went steady, didnt see the beaver till already fighting it. It was 4 lb test, i just pointed rod at it, grabbed line, and broke it off. Hope the beaver freed itself. No idea.

Got bit by a black racer. Stepped on it without knowing. Didnt break through waders. Got attacked by a goose (got too close to nest i think). Caught a hellbender once.

Posted on: 11/14 15:08

From Philadelphia PA
Actually FD I was being serious.....crazy as it seams. It goes along with a dream about the college that I attended in CA. I knew well in advance how the parking was set up as well as which building was for what.

Just remember FD....only us short people can truly sneak up on a trout that is facing us.

Posted on: 11/14 15:16

Remember: Never replace "I Don't Know How" with "I Can't"

From Lehigh Gorge
Not fishing but archery hunting a few years back. Patiently sitting 20 ft up in a tree, waiting for day break an owl mistook my shoulder for a squirrel perhaps.

Imagine sitting alone in middle of woods, pitch black out and you are up in a tree. Then without sound something with sharp claws grabs your shoulder. Yes I actually pissed my pants in fright.

Posted on: 11/14 18:22

From Southeast, PA
Damn! Great thread btw I love reading these stories.

It seems as though the fishing isn't the only thing that brings us all back out on the water- never know what your gonna experience!

Posted on: 11/14 21:14

From Burke VA
Wait a minute, not one word about a tree with a tire around it??

Posted on: 11/14 22:44

Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Actually FD I was being serious.....crazy as it seams. It goes along with a dream about the college that I attended in CA. I knew well in advance how the parking was set up as well as which building was for what.

Just remember FD....only us short people can truly sneak up on a trout that is facing us.

Another captain obvious moment.

Why would I even try to sneak up on anything that was facing me, when I am so good at sneaking up on animals (and people) when they are not?

When an animal is facing me, I just pretend I am a tree and let it come to me. It usually works.

Attach file:

jpg  fox 1.jpg (120.07 KB)
348_5a0c2a6ab4bad.jpg 401X406 px

Posted on: 11/15 6:47

Quote:

ryansheehan wrote:

I found one of those shortly after moving to the farm. Tree wasn't nearly as big, but it was tall enough I had to cut it down to dispose of the tire.

Attach file:

jpg  tree_flipping_bird.jpg (49.30 KB)
348_5a0c2a1e8a846.jpg 576X432 px

Posted on: 11/15 6:50

Quote:

ryansheehan wrote:

Try topping this one?

Not photo-shopped, either. Greensburg Indiana is proud of there tree growing out of the courthouse roof. The story is that it gets water from the springs in the clock?

I didn't take the picture, but was in Greensburg in the 1980s and remembered it. Apparently the tree is still there, and much bigger. Funny how that works.

Attach file:

jpg  greensburg IN courthouse.jpg (8.70 KB)
348_5a0c2ba364ba4.jpg 190X266 px

Posted on: 11/15 6:57

Here's one.

Was at Oil Creek one day, wet wading in low tops. Was standing in some warm slack water near a bridge at the time. I saw a lamprey. Not knowing they are actually supposed to be there, I deliberately stepped on it, and it proceeded to try to attach to my ankle.

Freaked me out so much that I remember all that, but can't remember if I caught anything, or whether or not I was even fishing at the time.

Lamprey was unscathed.

Laughed about it after the fact, but that that was the closest I came to walking on water.

Posted on: 11/15 9:22

From Pgh
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Here's one.

Was at Oil Creek one day, wet wading in low tops. Was standing in some warm slack water near a bridge at the time. I saw a lamprey. Not knowing they are actually supposed to be there, I deliberately stepped on it, and it proceeded to try to attach to my ankle.

Freaked me out so much that I remember all that, but can't remember if I caught anything, or whether or not I was even fishing at the time.

Lamprey was unscathed.

Laughed about it after the fact, but that that was the closest I came to walking on water.

I've caught many a fish in Oil Creek with lamprey marks... a few with the things still attached. Hate them. They give me the heebie jeebies.

Posted on: 11/15 11:57

From Penns Creek Canyon

Was fishing a early summer morning below Coburn at light saw a lady come out of a tent naked squatted to pee and went back in the tent lol.

Posted on: 11/15 12:29

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com