Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

stocking special regulation areas

From Greensburg
Hello All, does anyone know if the state still posts the stocking schedule for the special regulation areas?? I know I saw it before but can't find it anywhere.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 12:40

Re: stocking special regulation areas

Posted on: 2007/6/21 12:45

From Greensburg
Thanks Ryanh, but thats the regular stocking list. I haven't fished in a few years (kids in hockey, lifes over lol) but I remember there was a specific stocking list just for special regulation areas. They used to stock those waters after the regular stockings. Maybe they changed? Thanks again!

Posted on: 2007/6/21 13:27

From Monessen, PA
I don't think they maintain a separate list any more. At this link, http://www.fish.state.pa.us/stock.htm you would focus on the pink highlighted sections within each county.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 14:28

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Jack is spot on. The pink sections of each stocked county represent the Special Regs sections.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 15:06

From Greensburg
Ahhhhh, thanks guys!! I'm pretty sure they used to have a seperate list before. I'm really surprised to see that they're not stocking Little Mahoning Fly section past April 27th. They used to stock that quite frequently in previous years (from what I remember). I guess we're not paying enough for licenses, they have to cut back. Thanks again and good luck fishing!!

Posted on: 2007/6/21 15:25

From Carlisle
There used to be a seperate list that had them all listed, but I remember there was an explanation either last year or this year on the PFBC website that the stocking list that is there is the only list that will be issued now for inseason stocking. The times of when they stock really changed this year because of the different opening days. I remember when they used to stock streams around here up until mid June, now they're done by early may, with the exception of the "supplemental" stocking that they're doing right now with leftover fish.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 15:47

From Greensburg
Well at least I know I'm not loosing my mind lol. That was nice to have the stocking going to June, I thought that was the purpose of delay harvest, to keep fish in there year round.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 16:20

From Carlisle
They still stock a lot of the delayed harvest streams in the fall and most of those fish holdover through the winter. The main reason they don't stock in June anymore is because a lot of trout would come from the cooler temps of the hatcheries and go into the warmer temperatures of the particular streams and go into shock and usually die within a few days. But the years that the water was cool enough was nice because while everyone else would be bass fishing I'd be trout fishing all throughout the summer with next to no competition.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 16:41

From Greensburg
Thats a good point but I would think the hatcheries water temp would be pretty close to some of the streams water temp. I love fishing in the summer too, nobody there and your hands are warm!! Nothing worse than trying to tie on a 6x tippet with frozen hands lol.

Posted on: 2007/6/22 9:12

From Carlisle
Well I've actually had first hand experience stocking where the fish went into shock. My one sportsmans club had to push their derby back on two seperate years because of complete washouts and the derby would be in mid to late june. The trout were coming out of a shaded spring fed hatchery where the temp was in the mid to upper 50s and the derby was in 65 or so degree water. When they put the fish in the stream some of them were turning over within minutes and by the next day after the derby 80% of the fish were dead. The people in charge were encouraging people to keep anything they caught since they probably wouldn't survive. I'm not sure how most hatcheries are but I think several are spring fed.

Then again at the same time another club I belong to has the stream that they stock running through the nursery and they usually have an annual summer stocking and they havent had one problem with fish going into shock. The only problem they face is the stream freezing over in the winter and then we cant feed the fish so when it comes time to stock all of the fish are 2-3" smaller then all of the other clubs.

Posted on: 2007/6/22 9:22

From Greensburg
Yeh I guess trout are pretty fragile fish when it comes to temp and oxygen. And thats a good point that I forgot about, the spring fed streams are colder.

Posted on: 2007/6/22 13:31

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com