steelhead fishing this weekend?

D

dryflyklesse

Well guys I know new york just got 6' of snow how does it look for fishing this weekend south on elk and walnut creek? How much snow is doen by elk creek? I still might make a trip out there if I hear something good from you guys thanks a bunch

I wouldn't waste your time. most is freezing or frozen over already and based on the temps probably won't open up til late Saturday? Then with the quick warm up things could be too high by Sunday? Next week is looking alot better if you can make it up then.. But not worth heading up this weekend if you've got a considerable drive.

So is it frozen over or not? If it isn't I'll still make the 5 hour drive anything to get me out of work and the house for 3 days

The fast water is open still on elk. A lot of the slower water is starting to freeze, and the pools are frozen over and lots of shelf ice. Check out:

http://www.unclejohnselkcreekcamp.com/webcam/

I dont think i posted the link correctly, but that will give you a good shot of what it's looking like.

16 mile should be completely open if you really have the itch. By Sunday, if we get the rain they're calling for though- I think it's blown.

The warm up on Saturday will begin thaw things out, and with warmer temps on Sunday and some rain, everything will likely (and hopefully) blow out.

I blow off work and a lot of things to go there as frequently as possible.. I can say that I'm about 1.5 hours away, and it's not even on my radar to head there this weekend.

Maybe someone a little closer can chime in since I'm going from webcams and facebook posts and weather forecasts...

I'm heading up Monday and hoping for the best. Every other time I've made the trip it's been low and clear.

How long do these high-water events/blow-outs last and which streams drop the quickest? 10"+ of snow on ground, 45 degrees and rain sat and sun. Mon 55 and chance of rain.

thanks

Monday's a little trickier I'd say? If anything, I'd plan on heading east to the smaller tribs. Really depends on the amount of rain. If they get a lot of rain Sat night (.25 predicted) & Sunday they're calling for up to a half inch- combine that with the snow melt and I think a lot of stuff is blown, too. Less rain though and things might not be as bad by Monday. A lot of variables!

Elk and Walnut take a little longer to clear (my target is about 36 hours after peak run-off).. I dont fish the east much, but 20 mile can be good abou 24 hours after peak. 12 and 16 clear pretty quickly, but i can't say myself that i fish them. 4 and 7 can be good too if you time it right. Plan on doing some driving Monday!

Going to start in the east and head west. Maybe by the time I get to Elk things will be good. Thank you.

I was in Erie on Wed.
Drove from Folly's to McKean.
From what I could see, there were a few pools still open down the middle but most were locked up.
The pools below Rick Rd bridge and at the I-79 ramp were completely ice covered. Sterretanaia was 75% open and saw one fisherman landing a dark fish.
I'd say that Sunday should have more open water with the warmer overnight temps.

Back