Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: small stream fishing

From Clinton County, Pa.
IMO the 2 weight is a specialized rig and not very versatile. I use mine mainly for fishing Tricos on several nearby limestoners. My favorite small stream rod is my Sage 7' 4 weight TXL. It is light but will handle any fly I may use on any brookie stream from nymphs to drys to streamers.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 16:56

From LV
Why does everyone think wild trout are small? THEY ARE NOT SMALL.
I hooked one just yesterday that destroyed my brand new yellow sally, and the only fish that ever bent a hook on me is still swimming in Fishing Creek in the narrows, wild trout are indeed large.
I have an 8 foot fiberglass rod.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 10:00

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:

They may not ALL be small, but most of them are for many of us.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 10:18

From SEPA
Quote:

nympher1 wrote:
Hi fello fly flingers. I'm looking at a short fiberglass rod for fishing these small Pa class A wild trout streams for itty bitty wild browns. What would be a really nice reel to put on say a scott F series 2 wt.?

I suppose that this depends on your idea of "small" streams.

Fiberglass line weights don't carry the same sort of oomph that a similar one does in graphite, the material itself is difference.

A 2wt 'glass rod is functionally useless, especially if you're talking about soemthing short, too. I own one of those Cabela's CGR 5'9" 3wts, and its nigh unusable, and you'd be far better off with a 7' graphite rod in a 2 or 3wt configuration.

There's also the Orvis Superfine full flexing graphite rods, if its all about bend.

Frankly, if its fiberglass you want, just find a rod that meets your length requirements, but is classed as a 5wt or even a 6wt.

There are some uncommon Fenwicks thaare 6' or less, every rod maker on the planet produced 7' rods.

I would not recommend an Eagle Claw featherlight, they're fun and all, perfectly competent, but they're not exactly what one would call a finesse stick. They are, however, cheap and a perfect example of the overall utility of a 7' 6wt.

If I were you, I'd find the $70 (or whatever it cost now) Quest 2 from LL Bean in the 6'6" 3wt size. Its cheap, its lines to a perfectly acceptable 4wt for lobbing flies with a little weight, and makes a perfect 3wt dry fly rod.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 21:04

From Bucks County
"There's also the Orvis Superfine full flexing graphite rods".

Yep....................

Posted on: 2013/6/4 21:10

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:

Who said that? The D, Penns, LJ are all full of huge wild browns. I think you are thinking of small, wild, native brook trout which tend to be small as evidenced by the hundreds of photos on this site.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 21:15

From Ephrata, PA
Right. And this thread is specifically about small stream fishing.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 21:31

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I can understand the FUN of light rods, like 2 and 3 wts, on big or little water. But I never understood the notion that small stream = finesse. The opposite typically seems true to me.

If you're on some larger, slower spring creek, with ultra picky trout, feeding selectively on midges, in complicated micro-currents, well, that's finesse time. I get it. When I picture the epitome of finesse fishing, I picture the Letort.

But on a small stream, in a rhodo tunnel, with a fast tumbling stream and overly aggressive fish that'll hit anything if you just get it to them before spooking them, this is the opposite of finesse to me. This is about powering a super tight loop with no backcast through a tiny window, taking leaves and branches with it if necessary, to splash a large dry down somewhere in the sort of general vicinity of the non-picky, non-line shy, non-drag shy trout that'll move all the way across a pool to hit a poorly presented offering. Ok, exaggerating a little. But still, about as finesse as using a sledge to pound in a finishing nail. My main tool is a 4/5 weight graphite stick, fairly fast and stiff at that, and I toss a 7 wt line on it, and typically 4x tippets with size 12's, almost never smaller than a 14. Yes, on those streams you can straddle.

What matters is making a 15 foot cast instead of an 12 foot one, without a backcast. That'll catch you more fish.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 21:44

From Eastern PA
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Right. And this thread is specifically about small stream fishing.

You are correct. I missed the first post where OP said itty, bitty small browns. There are plenty of large wild browns in small streams. My bad.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 22:33

From Pittsburgh
I've been fishing a 7'9" 2 weight rod on small streams for over 20 years now - drys only of course - with no problems. And it really makes it more fun IMO.
Yes, there are times when a stouter stick would enable me to reach more fish.
But I still catch my share of trout with it

Posted on: 2013/6/5 8:01

Lots of opinions here... For small wild fish in small streams it is imho great fun and very easy to cast #12 adams dry flies with a two weight rod overlined with a good three weight fly line. Two weights are not for weighted flies, big fish, high wind, large flies, or large water. Right they are not versatile. None of which matters in a lot of Pennsylvania small stream fishing. ... As pat said,being able to shoot line in short casts is helpful.

I match gear to fishing and streams, and have never run into a really big brown trout when fishing a two wt fly rod.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 13:03

Mainly due to region and proximity, I'm a headwaters guy. The streams I fish don't have rhodo tunnels, but they're small. Think upper valley creek. In every one, there's at least an 18" fish, and that's why I use a three wt; It's still lite enough to be fun and scales the fight to the average fish better than a four or five wt, but it has the nuts for those lunkers and the flies they prefer.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 22:53

There are two schools of thought about gear for small stream fishing. While longer rods with larger line weights are more versatile, I prefer shorter, slow rods. My favorite small stream rod is my 6' bamboo 3 weight. I use a 4 weight double taper line on a late 60's Orvis Battenkill Reel. As for a reel, I agree that any old click and pawl reel would work. You can pick up some old reels cheap that would look great on a glass rod.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 23:36

From LV
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
I can understand the FUN of light rods, like 2 and 3 wts, on big or little water. But I never understood the notion that small stream = finesse. The opposite typically seems true to me.

If you're on some larger, slower spring creek, with ultra picky trout, feeding selectively on midges, in complicated micro-currents, well, that's finesse time. I get it. When I picture the epitome of finesse fishing, I picture the Letort.

But on a small stream, in a rhodo tunnel, with a fast tumbling stream and overly aggressive fish that'll hit anything if you just get it to them before spooking them, this is the opposite of finesse to me. This is about powering a super tight loop with no backcast through a tiny window, taking leaves and branches with it if necessary, to splash a large dry down somewhere in the sort of general vicinity of the non-picky, non-line shy, non-drag shy trout that'll move all the way across a pool to hit a poorly presented offering. Ok, exaggerating a little. But still, about as finesse as using a sledge to pound in a finishing nail. My main tool is a 4/5 weight graphite stick, fairly fast and stiff at that, and I toss a 7 wt line on it, and typically 4x tippets with size 12's, almost never smaller than a 14. Yes, on those streams you can straddle.

What matters is making a 15 foot cast instead of an 12 foot one, without a backcast. That'll catch you more fish.

I had a brookie fly at a flyon Monday from over 10 feet away, in a stream that was may 15 feet wide most of the distance we fished. So often this happens that I can hardly ever say that small stream fishing = finesse. On the contrary it's usually plop the fly down with a slpash in any spot likely to hold a fish and you will catch a fish. It does mtter at times when there is actually a hatch on, but that is usually not the case after the end of May. I agree with Pat.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 9:55

From LV
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

Chaz wrote:

Who said that? The D, Penns, LJ are all full of huge wild browns. I think you are thinking of small, wild, native brook trout which tend to be small as evidenced by the hundreds of photos on this site.

The thread is about small stream fishing, you assume that is what I'm talking about, not The D or Penns. Despite the fact that I am suometimes off base , I responded to several of the itty bitty streams = itty bitty fish. Monday the last fish I caught was a very heavy and long fish in a 15 foot wide stream. So small streams do have plenty of big fish, nearly all of the brookies caught that day were larger then legal. So no they weren't itty bitty fish in a small stream.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 10:01

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com