Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

small stream exploration

From cambria county
Hey guys, havent posted in awhile.

Went exploring today to a stream thats been on my list for awhile. The hike in wasnt too bad, about 20 minutes. I arrived at the small stream in the high elevations of the allegheny front and started with a parachute adams. As i worked my way upstream, i caught many brookies and even my first wild tiger trout( i ended up catching two). The tiger trout surprised me, because the stream is quite remote, not stocked, the larger stream it flows into is heavily polluted( no upstream migration of browns), and out of the 25 or so fish i caught, all were brookies(except for the 2 tigers). After fishing upstream about 1/2 mile, i came upon a small impoundment about 100 feet across that had cold(60 deg. or so), crystal clear water with vegetation everywhere and many springs flowing in. There was fish rising, but they were towards the middle of the pond and there was little casting room. As i worked my way up the shoreline of the pond, i saw a dam about 10 ft. high on the upper end. I walked around the dam, and got a full view of another pond/lake. It was just like the lower one, only much bigger and deeper. It appeared to be the uppermost impoundment, so i figured it would be much colder than the lower one. I saw rising fish on the other side of the lake, so i walked down the breast of the dam to see if i could reach them with a cast. As i was walking down the breast of the dam i saw numerous brook trout cruising the bottom, a couple were over 14". When i got to far end of the dam near the spillway, i threw on a adams and started casting. The rising fish were 40-50 ft. away at least, and i struggled to even cast that far with my 6'6" 3 wt., let alone get a good presentation. After putting all the fish down i decided to wait awhile. After maybe 10 mins they started rising again, so i threw on a griffith's gnat and managed to reach one of the risers and got him to take. It turned out to be a 10 inch brookie! That was the only fish i caught out of the lake, but i saw many more large brook trout cruising around in the depths of the crystal clear pond/lake. Ill be back with my 9' 5 wt. with a 12' leader on an overcast day to try for one of the monsters.

Something interesting i noticed was bb sized black lesions all over the fish i caught in the lake, which i have never seen before. I did some research when i got home and found out its a parasite that is fairly common in stillwater environments. Anybody ever see this?

Pics arent great but here they are:
1- upper impoundment( i caught the brookie about 10 out from that tree on the bank)
2-lower impoundment
3- brookie from the lake
4-lower impoundment
5-another pic of the brookie
6-upper impoundment
7-first wild tiger

[img width=300]

Click here to view these pictures larger

[/img]

Posted on: 2013/6/20 23:21

Re: small stream exploration

From Pittsburgh
Looks like you found quite a gem there.
Nice going

Posted on: 2013/6/20 23:33

From Mont Co, Pa
Yep, it pays to explore. Congrats on your wild tiger trout, you're in a club with few members!

Posted on: 2013/6/21 6:42

From Landenberg, PA
nice.

it looks like that with a light weight float tube you could hike in there and have a LOT of fun..

Posted on: 2013/6/21 7:48

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Way cool. I know a stream in SC PA that has a similar old small impoundment on it...maybe a little smaller than the ones in your pics. It too has nice Brookies in it. Word of warning...don't ever try to step out into these old impoundments to try to get a little more room for a cast, especially by yourself...learned that one the hard way and just about lost a hip boot in the process. Luckily my father in law was with me and was able to help pull me out of the silt suction.

There's gotta be Browns around there somewhere...congrats on the Tigers!

Posted on: 2013/6/21 8:23

From chester county pa
I fish a stream jut like yours. Lots of wild bookies, brownies, tigers, in Chester county.

Good job and take care of that stream.

Attach file:

jpg  image.jpg (36.96 KB)
4400_51c4586e00183.jpg 500X192 px

Posted on: 2013/6/21 9:39

From Clinton County, Pa.
Congrats on the wild tiger. They are beautiful fish and quite rare. Like wildtrout2 said you have just joined a club with few members.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 11:07

NICE Report

Posted on: 2013/6/21 22:42

From Lancaster County
Congrats on the tigers. Stating the obvious but there are browns around there somewhere. The illusion of remoteness was diminished somewhat by what appears to be a diving deck in the one photo and a power line pole with transformer on another

Posted on: 2013/6/21 22:46

From cambria county
Thanks for the replies guys.

I know there is browns somewhere but my question is: how did they get there? Ive fished many small headwater mountain streams like this and have only found brookies. To my understanding, browns get in small headwater streams by migrating up from a stocked or wild brown trout stream and spawning in the headwater tributary. In this situation, there is another small low head dam(upstream migration would be difficult) below where i caught the tigers, and the stream it flows into probably has a ph of about 4(you can see the orange stream from satellite), so it probably doesnt support any aquatic life. In addition to that, the stream is much smaller than the smallest stocked stream i know of, so I doubt it was stocked in the past, but who knows. I did fish the upper section, so maybe it gets much larger downstream, before it reaches the orange stream, and was stocked in the past. browns could have spawned and inhabited the stream that way, but thats all i can think of.

Salmonoid, the power lines are for a pumphouse(its drinking water), and if the diving deck you are referring to is whats in picture 1, thats some sort of system for withdrawing water. You are right in that it isnt a super remote spot, but the nearest blacktop road is about 5 miles away from the upper impoundment, and the dirt road is only there for access to the pumphouse. Other than that its straight woods all around.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 23:29

From Cambria County
Awesome report. I'm in Cambria county too but I can't place that stream from the pictures. We're lucky to be surrounded by these little gems that most fishermen seem to overlook. Shoot me a PM sometime if you ever want to try out some different Brookie streams in the area.

Posted on: 2013/6/22 14:56

From Northern VA
I was on a small headwater stream today, was catching 4-5" brookies and then got an 11" brown out of nowhere. Looked closely in the deep holes after that and saw a few browns in that size range, but I only caught that one. They are just way tougher to catch, especially this time of year.

Also keep in mind that those dams aren't as big of a barrier during high water, and sometimes floods will open up side channels around the dams that the fish will use.

Posted on: 2013/6/22 18:35

Quote:

evw659 wrote:

I know there is browns somewhere but my question is: how did they get there?

Brown trout were introduced to PA in the 1800s and have been here ever since. They are very widely distributed in PA and have been for a long time.

The question is similar to where did these: carp, starlings, English sparrows come from? The answer in each case is that they were introduced a long time ago, established populations, and their populations have been maintained by natural reproduction ever since.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 0:13

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com