HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: slimy trout, dry leaves

From Southeast PA
Quote:

CaptMatt wrote:
Okay, so what about advertising fishing spots on the inter net? Thats the discussion I want to see. Im not talking about stream locations, Im talking about "I caught 50 fish from Hole X on whatever stream". Im really curious where you all stand on this.
No matter what the stream size, I think it's kind of goofy to advertise exactly what hole you found a lot of fish in. I mean, why would you want to have a bunch of guys fish it out or crowd you out so you can't enjoy it yourself anymore? Even if you don't plan on fishing it again because you're not from the area, it's not nice to the local guys who found it on their own. And reading the water and finding fish is supposed to be an important part of the sport. Having said that, I didn't have a problem with one of the guys reporting on here that there was a breakout from the hatchery on the upper Tulpehocken. I guess because it was an unusual and unnatural event and there might as well be a lot of guys having a good time enjoying the situation. I do wonder sometimes how much posting a good fishing spot actually results in a lot of extra fishing at the location. I know there are a lot of variables, like population in the area, size of stream, hiking distance, etc. It would be interesting to try an experiment by posting a false report about a particular hole and staking it out to see how many extra fishermen show up over a period of time.

I certainly see no problem with reporting general conditions or success on well-known streams. But I hate to see small wild trout streams that can't handle much pressure given glowing reviews that will attract a lot of attention, complete with detailed instructions on how to get to the most productive spots. At the most, give out general info that you may be able to find some decent fishing at Wild Trout Run, and leave out the flashing neon signs and arrows that say "FISH HERE!" or next time you go there you might not want to anymore. The people who like to "fish" might try it because they like to explore. The people who just like to "catch" probably won't bother. And there are a lot more of them.

Posted on: 2007/2/15 14:34

Edited by Wulff-Man on 2007/2/15 15:33:28

From Monessen, PA
Personally, I think selfish behavior is unbecoming, particularly of a fly angler. As for handling fish, I think some of the precautions taken and the "carefuller-than-thou" attitude can go overboard.

However, keep in mind I have no idea what I am talking about.

Posted on: 2007/2/15 15:13

From Greensburg, PA
Boy, how 'bout that snow huh?

Look, If someone wants to tell everyone where he fishes, thats his business. Stupid, but its his business...he could PM and then the person he is telling would be the only one to know...but if he does it on a message board, he's inviting everyone who reads the board along on his next trip. Whether what he says affects how many people are on the stream the next time anyone else goes fishing is collateral damage. It sucks but you can't force someone to keep their mouth shut. Sometimes posters give away good fishing spots just as a side effect of bragging. Its a self control thing.

As for releasing fish, everyone knows what they should and shouldn't do. Its a matter of minimizing the damage to the fish. Getting all "I do it better than you" is getting boring. Anything that touches a fish should be wet. Hey, its a fish, it lives in the water.Its not always possible, but you do the best you can.

Posted on: 2007/2/15 15:21

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:

...As for releasing fish, everyone knows what they should and shouldn't do.

Tom, I'd say its closer to 20% of the people who fish, maybe higher for those that fly fish but overall...that is a risky statement.

Quote:

Its a matter of minimizing the damage to the fish. Getting all "I do it better than you" is getting boring. Anything that touches a fish should be wet. Hey, its a fish, it lives in the water.Its not always possible, but you do the best you can.

Now there is a simple-stupid guideline that should come with every fishing rod you buy.

Posted on: 2007/2/15 15:28

From Lewistown
I have a question about releasing a fish just by bringing it hip-side and popping the hook out and letting it drop back into the water. I know that a lot of catch and release anglers do this to minimize time out of water. But my question is that if the fish is tired and you don't revive it, won't it certainly go belly up?

Posted on: 2007/2/15 15:49

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com