HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: slate run tackle shop for sale

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

Wmass wrote:
I honestly dont think that our country was founded in order to have THE TOP 1% own the majority of land and resources. I also don't think our founding fathers would be to pleased if they knew that large multinational coorporations owned vast tracks of the western and southern states in the name of mining, agriculture and timber. I also don't think they would like the fact that foreign individuals own vast tracks of land on the coasts and then exclude others from using it. They would be downright fuming to find that these individuals and multinational coorps are abusing the system, buying off government officials, and decimating wildlife so that they can make more money and have a home in which they spend roughly 5% of the year. THIS ISN'T WHAT THE AMERICAN DREAM WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT.

TCO just might become the next Cabelas, or Orvis, or LL Bean

Posted on: 2007/1/16 8:05

From Gettysburg
Sage,
Thanks - I recognize 'em now. I'll continue to shop at FFP.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 8:37

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

Wmass wrote:
I honestly dont think that our country was founded in order to have THE TOP 1% own the majority of land and resources.

You need to check and see how much land those founders owned. Start with the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 8:37

Quote:

Wmass wrote:
LITTLEJAUNITA I feel that within the next hundred years the gap between the wealthy and the poor will become so absurd and the system so corrupt that this country will simply breed another revolution.

In my opinion, it's already absurd.

Over the past 30 years or so, the gap between the workers and the top brass has ballooned about two orders of magnitude (X100). That is not based on dollars, it's based on percentage difference, and it is getting worse. I'm real glad I am not just starting out... Hopefully I can make it to retirement, but it isn't looking good. It might fall back to what i can get if I have to sell my property. My advice to those entering college, find a career that can't be easily outsourced.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 8:50

From Room 109
My advice to those entering college is save and invest.

http://www.thebullandbear.com/articles/2000/0700-millionaire.html

Posted on: 2007/1/16 10:25

TCO Has always steered me right. They know what they are talking about and they are honest. I will keep shopping with them.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 13:31

Well the last I looked won't don't live in the Congo where the per capita income is $182 a year. We live in the USA where our fly rods cost more than most people make in many third world countries.

Being rich is all in your perspective. Many of those $1.00 flies you buy on the Internet come from those same countries.

I would be interested in the perspective from those people that are tying those flies. But, they probably don't own a computer to join us on the forum.

I am not trying to be smart or offend anyone. I just think wealth is okay. Our country rewards those who can find that type of success. I think many would want to be richer if we could find more money. Who would turn down a few million from the lottery if they won it.

I know this strays a little from the topic about the Fly Shop, but I think we sometimes miss how fortunate we really are. In not just wealth, but how much great water and fishing there really is in Pennsylvania. I live in Maryland and I can count all the good fly fishing streams on one hand!

I don't want to be a buzzkill on the topic, as a matter of fact keep it going...just my humble opinion. But go to college and study.

Dave

Posted on: 2007/1/16 17:03

From Blair County
College is no tthe answer for everyone or for wealth . I never graduated college and make over a grand a day .. its how you apply yourself

Posted on: 2007/1/16 17:35

I agree 100%. Wealth does not always make you happy either!

Bill Gates never graduated and I am not saying he is happy, but it seemed to work out for him financially.

Applying yourself makes a difference. I learned that lesson the second year of my freshman year at college.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 19:23

From Blair County
Rite on my man !!

Posted on: 2007/1/16 20:56

From LV
I don't have a problem with wealth myself, I wish I was wealthy, but these people that come into comanies and rape them downsize them and then bail out when everything goes wrong because they have a golden parachute, it's just wrong. When someone leaves under pressure or is fired why should they be able to leave with a huge settlement. Whoever started giving out those deals was an idiot. I know if my company lets me go I ain't geting nothin cept unemployment it just ain't right. Japan does quite well with the way they run companies a lot of what has happened to companies in this country is directly because we didn't follow their example. Perfect case is the auto industry, US automakers still don't get it. Meanwhile the money leaves the country and never comes back.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 6:04

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
I don't have a problem with wealth myself, I wish I was wealthy, but these people that come into comanies and rape them downsize them and then bail out when everything goes wrong because they have a golden parachute, it's just wrong. When someone leaves under pressure or is fired why should they be able to leave with a huge settlement. Whoever started giving out those deals was an idiot. I know if my company lets me go I ain't geting nothin cept unemployment it just ain't right. Japan does quite well with the way they run companies a lot of what has happened to companies in this country is directly because we didn't follow their example. Perfect case is the auto industry, US automakers still don't get it. Meanwhile the money leaves the country and never comes back.

Chaz,

Aren't you supposed to end that diatribe with...",but I'm not bitter"

Who do you think hires those bozos? The wealthy, to increase their bottom line. Whether they be company owners or stock holders, looking for a better bottom line so they can "get that place in the poconos near your favorite trout stream" They hire the "company killers" to slash and posture, sell or merge, all to squeeze out a few more bucks before retirement.

And those golden parachutes or sweetheart deals...they are negotiated beforehand. These corporate "winners" are quite desireable.

Think of public companies as a cash cow getting fattened up for slaughter. Once the cost of the feed supercedes the ROI (return on investment) You get squeezed into a chute and plunked in the noggin' with a bolt.

In this day and age, all you are is a piece of meat or "private contractor". I remember when loyalty meant something, years of service, experience was respected.

Often times these corporate puppets who do the dirty dealing are at odds with themselves, but wanting to get ahead, and the lure of the almighty dollar, are too much to resist. Separation of class is an ugly process...except for the ones most removed from it...the Wealthy.

Still want to keep that opening statement?

Maurice
ps...but I'm not bitter.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 9:27

From Southeast PA
Quote:

RangerKeen wrote:
College is no tthe answer for everyone or for wealth . I never graduated college and make over a grand a day .. its how you apply yourself

RangerKeen, I didn't know the armed forces paid so well. What are you, a mercenary or something? (Please don't tell me if you have to kill me.)

Posted on: 2007/1/17 12:31

Right on Chaz, the company I worked for Penn Traffic or Riverside Markests was taken over by an investment banker, he ran the company into the ground, sold assets, screwed stockholders horribly, he lives in Rye New York with I am sure an obscene amount of money, what's infuriating is that what he did was completly legal!

Posted on: 2007/1/17 12:40

Quote:

Dave wrote:
I agree 100%. Wealth does not always make you happy either!

for the sake of argument, I'll agree, but it doesn't always make you unhappy either. Since it doesn't seem to enter into the equation, I'd rather have it.

Posted on: 2007/1/17 12:44

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com