skunked

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

Went to the Run yesterday and got skunked. Threw out everything but the kitchen sink.

I did see them stock whike I was there. ...

got to remember that fish are cold blooded, and when the water is near freezing they shut down on feeding, even spring creeks will get colder the farther the water gets from the source...

If they dump a bucket of fish in front of you, they ain't eating for a while. It takes a little time for the fish to settle in, acclimate to surroundings and temps. With the colder water temps, feeding slows dramatically.

Who stocks in January? Private club?

Guessing YB hunters and anglers.

I was there yesterday too (not fishin, just walking around). Lots of anglers out in the nice weather.

I was just happy to be out.... catching or not

Create a bread hatch (like SRC "ghillies") anywhere on The Run and watch the feeding frenzy ensue. I believe the fish in that stretch don't eat many naturals anymore thanks to the footbridge benefactors. I haven't attempted elbowing my way in there for awhile. Last time I tried the Sulphur spinner fall, I had lots of bugs hit the water and almost no rising trout. I chalk it up to angling pressure in a small area. Still, a properly plopped Shenk's white minnow can turn fish after AT thru-hikers provide a "Wonder precipitation event". Extreme hatch matching. :^\

I go with the intent of practicing this time of year and hope to be blessed with a catch.

I was at the Run today and it was pretty good. YB Anglers stocked and I got 6 to the net on zebra midges and pheasant tails. A good amount of people out since it was fairly warm.

Isnt the "run" a spring fed section that dumps into the YB? It should be warmer and the small wild fish should be feeding.

Jkilroy, it is a small "tailwater" that drains from Children's Lake, which is limestone spring fed. It does have consistent temps, and very pressured fish.

Back