Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 13 »

Re: rattlers

From SE PA
I sometimes carry but more in cases where there are "wild" dogs or I think I might have problems with vandals. Not very often. The extra weight is a pain and the one I carry while fishing isn't stainless.

Posted on: 2009/2/27 12:19

I like snakes, in general.
I include rattlesnakes in that group.
The only native snake in Pa. that I really fear are copperheads - especially when climbing a steep trail in the middle of a low-bush blueberry patch, on a utility line clearing, and I have to grab onto rocks and plants and the ground is too close to my face.
I have a copy of, and found very informative, the Pennsylvania Wild Resource Conservation Fund (WRCF) video, "The Timber Rattlesnake: Shadow of Misunderstanding"
It is still available through the Pa WRCF video page, along with other videos sponsored through the program. The host Web site is the Pa. Department of Conservation of Natural Resources (Pa.DCNR).

My personal endorsement:
As a result of watching the video, I have adopted a better sense of security in traveling potential rattlesnake habitat. I did this after picking up on key behavioral characteristics of the rattlesnake presented in the video, such as its specific vibratory sensing method of hunting (in addition to thermal sensing) and hunting site location selection.
Given a prerequisite cursory understanding of water drainage, solar exposure, and habitat needs sufficient to host a rattlesnake supporting community, I believe the information presented in the video is enough from which to deduce some personal behavior changes.
I feel it helps me figure out likely den site locations and otherwise gauge the potential risk/opportunity to come into proximity with a rattlesnake.
Of course, I could be wrong, but I walk with increased confidence!
And I pay close attention when crossing downed limbs and logs on trails in likely rattlesnake hunting grounds.
I also stay aware for evidence of high ground rodent populations in July through September, stay aware of rainfall conditions (the snakes follow the mammals which follow the water), stay observant when in the vicinity of a south to south west facing rubble pile (including the edges of fields, mountain faces, ridges, and other topographical and terrestrial features, depending on the time of the year.
Historically, annual late spring rattlesnake hunts were held across the state and nation by European –descent communities. The timing was done so that the snakes would be on or near the surface, but not yet dispersed. In early through late spring, the snakes have not yet spread out far, if at all, from their over-wintering den area to foray out into their seasonal territories.
For example, in Potter County, the Cross Fork Rattlesnake Hunt traditionally is held late June. Other communities held or continue to hold their respective hunts based on non-competition with other hunts and the desires of the snake hunting community and business sector of the host community.
For myself, I find nothing wrong with rattlesnake hunting, when done as bird watching, or even for temporary display and then release where found, which seems to be the intent of current snake hunting law. A common, though no longer allowed, practice for late spring rattlesnake “hunters” was to find a den area and pull it apart, rock by rock, or even blast it open, if necessary.
I am against the destruction of its habitat and the senseless killing of individual specimens, especially when it is done out of culturally driven fear. But I’m not against eating one now and then.
The rattlesnake in Pennsylvania is to be understood for being the non-aggressor it is.
I feel that all snakes in Pennsylvania need to be protected, and those currently in critically low population (haven’t been seen for 20 to 30 years) may need to be bred and re-introduced.

Posted on: 2009/2/27 12:29

From Mont Co, Pa
I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that a rattler (don't know if it's all of them) gives off a cucumber odor when danger is close by. Also, this has been mentioned already, but I'm going to mention it again. Rattlers DO NOT always rattle when they feel threatened!! I'm a believer that the wading staff is the best tool/weapon when in snake country.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that in 30 years of fishing in some remote area's of Pa for natives, I've yet to even see a rattler (I guess I'm lucky), and much of my fishing has been during June, July, and August. There's a lot to be said for using common sense regarding snakes of any kind.

Posted on: 2009/2/27 12:55

From Pittsburgh
In 25 years of fishing all over the state, I've seen one rattle snake - on Penns creek.
As for cell phones - they don't seem to work in most of the places I fish

Posted on: 2009/2/27 12:59

From Lower Burrell
I bought one of those "booster antennas" for my cell phone. Its like 10 inches all, sticks to the roof of my truck. But yeah, its pretty much worthless.

Got one of those "antenna strips" that go under the battery of your cell phone (came with a new battery I bought). It didn't seem to do anything either.

Posted on: 2009/2/27 13:36

From Greensburg, PA
You're just an infomercial's wet dream, huh?

Posted on: 2009/2/27 13:38

From Lower Burrell
Oh yeah!!! And you just gotta dry the Sham-WOW!!! Simply amazing!!!

Posted on: 2009/2/27 13:44

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Late may in 06 I ran into two of them while I was fishing Cedar Run. I started fishing the run right at Pine Creek and maybe halfway to the Mine Hole things get kinda dicey with crawling on the rocks on the road side of the water. The first one I damd near layed my hand on looking for a hand hold.... The second one I heard before I saw it and moved him out of my path with a stick. Both were pretty lethargic as it had been real cool that week. I saw a sow with two cubs that day also. They never saw me and the wind was from them to me so I sat down and just watched the little ones flop around in the water then wander off. Thats the neat part about fishing in the big woods..... Your not the big dog in the woods!. The first few holes on Cedar off of Pine hold some nice fish. Tuff to hide from them cuz the road side is vertical cliff and the bottom of the creek runs away from you back under the cliff in places. Deep and dark water. It's a great stretch of water. If you can have somebody pick up up at the Mine Hole or have a truck there waiting for you. It's not that far of a walk( four mile + -) while your fishing..... But it's long get'n back to Pine Creek at Cedar run. Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/2/27 14:01

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Oh, and a gun. Always!

Posted on: 2009/2/27 14:07

From Room 109
Quote:

wildtrout2 wrote:
I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that a rattler (don't know if it's all of them) gives off a cucumber odor when danger is close by. Also, this has been mentioned already, but I'm going to mention it again. Rattlers DO NOT always rattle when they feel threatened!! I'm a believer that the wading staff is the best tool/weapon when in snake country.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that in 30 years of fishing in some remote area's of Pa for natives, I've yet to even see a rattler (I guess I'm lucky), and much of my fishing has been during June, July, and August. There's a lot to be said for using common sense regarding snakes of any kind.

That is the reason they named Cucumber Falls at Ohioplye. "Get your ankle bit" falls was not appealing to the day hikers. This one is no bull.

Now if you are parked in an open field in the summer check under the car. I have had few snakes crawl under for shade. They bite you when you are unlocking the driverside door. Also check your back seat when leaving the mall. Axe murders hide under blankets back there waitng for your return from bed bath and beyond ...............................

Posted on: 2009/2/27 14:07

yes wild trout two

Posted on: 2009/2/27 14:27

I usually carry my AR-15 when fishing in snake country!

Posted on: 2009/2/27 14:31

From Greensburg, PA
too short for a good wading staff though.

Posted on: 2009/2/27 14:32

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
yes wild trout two

Yes what?

Posted on: 2009/2/27 14:39

From Pittsburgh
I always heard it was copperheads that smell like cucumbers.
Don't know how true it is though

Posted on: 2009/2/27 14:42

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 13 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com