Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 13 »

rattlers

From Lancaster
What time of year do you first start seeing rattlers? I'mplanning a trip to north cenral pa end of april. Just wondering if they'll be out by then. Also, when you guys fish in secluded/ potentially dangerous places, what precautions do you take....aside from lettting someone know where you're gonna be?

Posted on: 2009/2/26 20:17

Re: rattlers

From SW PA
After letting someone know where I'm going, just plain old common sense. I try to be more alert to my surroundings and take my time. When I rush things, something always goes wrong.

JH

Posted on: 2009/2/26 20:22

From Lock Haven, PA
June is when u start seeing them unless its wet still. The dryer it is the better your chances of seeing them are. WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT EVEN TOUCH ONE EVEN IF ITS DEAD! Thats an $80 fine at least probably more now even if you touch it and get caught. The way they are protected I think if one bit you you'd have to pay a fine since u were touched by it.

Posted on: 2009/2/26 20:27

Don't know about Eastern but the Western prairie rattler would come out in March along the western rivers if you had a chinook.Could have snow on the hillside and there would be a rattler sunning on the river rocks.

Posted on: 2009/2/26 20:38

From Altoona, PA
I've only ever seen one. So I wouldn't worry too much about them. Just make a lot of noise, and if you have a wading staff, using it to sweep away tall grass from your path. Don't take blind steps! But that's more a fear of loose stones and trips than rattlers. A busted ankle is deadly if your a couple miles from your car.

Posted on: 2009/2/26 21:54

From Lewistown
I have only seen a couple, and that is when I veered away from the stream.

It biggest thing I do when II'm in North Central Pa is look over large rocks and logs before stepping over --I don't want to get bit in the back of the leg.

Posted on: 2009/2/26 22:54

I think I remember this question being asked last year but can they bite through breathable waders?

Posted on: 2009/2/26 23:20

From York County
Only ever saw one and it was a big one. Last May at Stony Creek on the service trail less than a mile from the parking lot. My buddies girlfriend almost stepped on it along the side of the trail. It moved a little but didn't start rattling until I decided to lean in for a closer look. I never got closer than 7 or 8 feet from it and felt any closer was asking for trouble. I didn't know rattlers were supposed to get that big. I was worried how many people were walking on that trail with it there. A lady walking two Rottweilers came past and we walked back a ways with her because I was afraid her dogs would see it and go nuts, but it was gone, I think.

Posted on: 2009/2/26 23:50

Easiest question Yet!

You see a rattler when it rattles!

Warm rocks are a snakes best friend. Rattling is a warning not a death sentence. They do not want to become a meal. Fancy that! My knees might shake enough to establish my self as a threat as to strike but snakes just don't just jump out and bite you.

You should always watch where you step, bees can be much worse than snakes!!

Posted on: 2009/2/26 23:52

From Lower Burrell
Not too sure about when the rattlers start coming out, but I can assure you that you'll know one if you see one!!!

As for the backwoods precautions....

1.) I always carry a gun. Lots of bears and reportedly mountain lions (yes I said cougars) north of I80.
2.) I carry a tool bag in the truck with me. Might come in handy if your truck breaks down several miles back an access road.
3.) Tow straps or chains are always good to carry. A full size shovel has saved me several times as well.
4.) And your cell phone.... everyone seems to remember to take this with them, but not everyone remembers to keep it fully charged. Its great to have should you get hurt, but won't do you much good with a dead battery!

Posted on: 2009/2/27 1:35

From bucks cty
I worry more about copperheads. We have them on the small spring creeks at my cabin. They can lay in the watercress and strike without warning. I often think about them when I'm fishing Falling Spring, etc.

On rare occasions when fishing in back country areas with a reputation for snakes I carry a pistol with snake shot. The odds of killing a snake close enough to strike before it stikes is almost zero.

Posted on: 2009/2/27 7:31

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
I've been here over 3 years now and have not seen or heard one yet. I take the dog for bears or bobcats (there are no mtn. lions just big bobcats)seen them..I am getting a small pocket 22 for snakes cause my dog likes to pic up snakes. i've been told to carry my cell, and leave note where im goin. huh never know where I'll be..

Posted on: 2009/2/27 7:48

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Gettysburg
I worry more about deer ticks.

Timber rattlesnakes often don't rattle so, just because you don't hear 'em doesn't mean you should not be on the lookout for 'em. I'm not sure about when to expect to see them outside of their dens but would imagine that by early April they will be out on rocks on sunny days near denning sites. While not the largest rattlesnakes in the US (that distinction belongs to the Eastern Diamondback), timber rattlesnakes can top out at about 50 inches.

Posted on: 2009/2/27 7:53

I am no expert but can tell you from experience that a rattler that just shed can rattle so low you can barely hear it.
Standing on a riprap rock along the main gallatin river in Mt.I heard a faint buzz,looked down and there was a rattler along side the rock,about 4inches below my foot-it went under a rock and I kept fishing,having learned from early times to step on the rocks,never alongside.lol

Posted on: 2009/2/27 8:09

From Franklin County
Yup I am with you FishIdiot, I worry more about the deer ticks. Actually was out yesterday and got three slowwww crawling dog ticks on me.

Posted on: 2009/2/27 8:15

(1) 2 3 4 ... 13 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com