out-of-state trout

G

gunnyguide

What up!?
Ok, we all know there are not trout in Ohio, but are any of you folks headed west this fall/winter? Well I'll tell ya what. I grew up in Clarion, (N. Dub. PA), (Dub = W), now im in Gunnison Colorado, going to school and guiding/doin' it on my own. For all you who come out here every summer, this (fall) is when you otta be out here. The snow and cold is a pain, and except for the occasional BWO, its subsurface. If youre comming out here to fish the Gunnison/surroudning waters, let me know, whether it be soon or next year, say somthing. And if ya see my Uncle George Kutskel from DuBois, PA, bring him with ya!

Yes, there are no trout in Ohio. Leave the two brown trout and the four+ steelhead rivers to me.....

Ohio Outdoors:

Regarding trout streams in Ohio, - I've heard about the Mad river, but don't know of any other.
Just curious - On my many trips to Cedar Point, I remember seeing signs about the Blue Hole - by sandusky.
It apparently is a big spring that I guess comes out of some kind of cave?
Anyway, I've always wondered if maybe it was a trout stream?

There are a few trout fishing opportunities in Ohio. Even though i currently live in Akron I concentrate 99% of my fishing in PA. (Im originally from PA anyways, so im famailiar with alot of the trout fishing there)

Other than the Mad there are a couple others i know of for sure... all stocked water to be sure but there are many holdovers...

Clear Fork Mohican River in Mohican State Park
Apple Creek in Wooster, OH

THese are 2 that i have personally fished and arent bad considering they are in a state naturally pretty much devoid of cold water fishes.

The blue hole is a place in sandusky... Its a large (and from what they say, bottomless) Limestone aquifer that feeds a stream called Cold Creek.. Its all privately owned as far as i know. From what i have read the water that comes from the blue hole is extremely high in nitrogen and completely devoid of dissolved oxygen. There is a hatchery located along it somewhere as well as a private trout club called SunnyBrook Trout Club. The pictures of the stream on their site actually dont look bad... kind of reminds me of some South Central PA limestoners. There is also a pay to fish joint located at its mouth on Lake Erie. Apparently there are some pretty decent fish in it from all of the pictures i have seen... as far asnaturally reproducing populations...who knows...

As a little side note i do actually know of 2 streams that i have personally seen in NE Ohio that are native brookie streams with naturally reproducing populations.. I wont name them but amazingly enough they are there and continue to hold on year after year. There are also a couple others i have heard of but never have confirmed them myself.

Joel pretty much summed it up aside from steelhead fishing on the Ohio Erie tribs.

All of the places he mentioned are stocked (mad and clear fork with fingerlings) and Apple Creek is a warmwater creek with full sized stocked fish done by a local TU. None of them are worth traveling out of state for. A section of the Clear Fork is techniquely a tailwater fishery. It isn't managed for fisherman.....every time I bother to go down there the water is either too high or too low.

There is a fish hatchery in castalia and london and the castalia hatchery offers some fishng, mainly for youths. The hatcheries supply put and take fishing for rainbow trout in lakes and rivers throughout the state.

I will also mention that the wild brookie streams are off limits to fishing. Don't even try to find, let alone fish them. It is illegal and unethical.

I go to PA for most of my trout fishing. I'm from Akron, too....

Nice to hear that there are some wild trout streams in Ohio, although I wouldn't have figured on any being in the NE area of the state.
I know there is some national forest land in the SE area along the Ohio river above Marietta. On the Ohio Delorme map, it looks pretty remote down there. I would have guessed that there would be a few trout streams there.
The Allegheny National Forest in PA is chock full of wild trout streams

Back