nw pa brookies

evw659

evw659

My brothers and I headed up to our camp on Friday and came back yesterday. Two of my brothers fished a local bass tournament on the Allegheny near our camp this weekend so i decided to go brookie fishin while they were fishin the tournament. the stream was a remote trib to the Allegheny about 10 river miles above our camp. I drove to a trailhead along the river and walked about a mile up to where the stream flowed into the Allegheny. Weather was perfect, about 70 degrees and mostly sunny. I didnt see anybody fishin the stream, but i saw about 7 groups of hikers along the stream trail.Stream was very low as i had expected, but still very fishable. one thing that was nice is there was very little water moving from pool to pool so drag in the tailouts was almost non-existant, which made upstream presentations alot easier. It was very open as well, so 40'+ casts(which were necessary as the fish were very spooky) were fairly easy to make. I picked up a few small ones in some pocket water near the mouth and then came upon a fairly big, flat glass pool with great habitat. I positioned myself way below the hole and made a long cast to the upper end of the pool. Made one drift with no strikes and then made the same cast again. This time i skittered the parachute adams a bit and saw waves a couple feet from my fly and then a boil on the surface. I ran up to the pool after hooking it, fought it for maybe 30 seconds, and brought it to hand. 10.5 inches. sweet! I fished pretty much every likely lie for the next mile and a half or so, and got a few more small brookies, along with some in the 6-7 inch range. The stream just got better the further up i got with many large, deep holes for such a small stream. I ended up quitting around 1:00 so i could make it back for the weigh-in at 3. I spoke to a hiker near where i quit fishing who said that it gets better the further up you go so ill definitely be back. All in all it was a fun way to kill 4 or 5 hours by myself, and it was also cool to explore a stream in a part of the state that i havent really explored yet. I dont know why the embed code posted two slideshows, but oh well.

Click here to view these pictures larger]Click here to view these pictures larger[/url]

Very nice, and I believe I know the stream. Haven't been there in years though. Thanks for sharing.

Pretty sure I know the stream as well. It has fished exceptionally well this year.

Nice pics, and that one brookie's a brute.

Add me to the list lol. Been two years since I last fished it. Nice little stream except for the hikers, but if you ever run into a problem I guess it's nice to have other people around...

I probably do know it, but honestly, I couldn't tell you which stream it is from your description and pics. There are several that I know that fit the description.

I looked at the pics and thought I recognized it. Then I read about the hikers and a different one came to mind. But neither of those flow directly into the Allegheny, so that ends that.

That's because you are thinking too far upstream.;-)

Perhaps. And perhaps I'm being biased because I know a bass tourny was held in Tidioute this weekend, and figured he didn't stray too awfully far. But there are a lot of bass tournaments on the river, it may not have been the only one.

Everyone wants to know where the stream is to go catch that hog haha. NIce fish

Everyone that needs to know does ;-)

I'm sorry I said anything. I haven't a clue what stream it is and also wish to remain clueless. ;-)

I'm fine with staying clueless as well. I think I know anyway, but am not sure, and that's ok. There are plenty of similar streams.

Back