newbie looking for advice

L

leeroy101

Hey everyone. So the the story is i'm a active duty infantyman with the 101st airborne. I always liked fishing but got bored very easily so i figured that fly fishing would be a little more up my ally. I'll be comming home on leave at the end of july (from Iraq) for a few weeks before i have to come back and was thinking about gettin a fly rod and equipment.. problem is none of my friends fly fish and i have know idea about what to get or how to do it lol.... or how much i will cost for everything cuz i have no equipment at all.... I'll be takeing my leave in the Jim Thorpe area.... Any help would be appriciated.
Thanx,
Leeroy

Go to Dunklebergers in Stroudsberg and talk to them..Look at a 8'6" 5wt. rod and reel combo's..spend between 200.00 and 300.00 for the whole outfit (rod,reel,line,backing)..get a leader (9' 5x) a 5x tippit spool, snips, forceps. a dozen flies with box. then take a lesson on casting..

Leeroy

Probably like most folks, I got way more "stuff" than I need or use. I am willing to donate some or all the following.

rod 3 - 5 wt
reel 3 - 5 wt w/ backing
fly line 1 - 7 wt
tippet
1 doz flies w/ box
clippers , hemos

If we knew your shoe and pant size maybe we could come up with waders or wading boots. You will need to buy your own license. You can probably get a military discount. there is some good fishing local to Jim Thorpe. You'll want someone to help you get started. But most important, relax and enjoy. Thank you for your service. We here appreciate it.

Leeroy,
Greetings from a fellow infantryman. Sandfly's advice is good: stick with the basics he suggests and I'd even suggest that $300 is a bit on the higher end. While you're on leave, have your ID card, PA drivers license, and a copy of your orders and you don't need a license/trout stamp to fish. While you will likely want to try trout fishing, as a new fellow fishing in July, don't overlook bass and sunfish as they are an excellent way to start fly fishing and generally easier to catch. The folks here on this website can answer your questions about equipment, places to fish, knots, flies, hatches etc. If you get a chance, Google "Baghdad Fishing Club." While I never fished in Baghdad, there are guys who fly fish ponds on some of the larger FOBs.

Depending upon when you will be in the JT area, I would be happy to take you fly fishing for a day. I have extra equipment except for boots and waders for you to use for the day. Very familiar with that area of the Poconos, Lehigh River etc. Maybe even smallies in the Susquehanna @ W-B.

You already have some good advice if you are going to purchase your own, and I amsure you will get more.

Unfortunately I will be in Florida the last week or so of July, but let me know if you are interested and the dates fit. In any event thank you for your service to this country. God bless you and America!

I am with Mr.F Idiot on this one.
We are overwhelming trout lovers here so temptation is to steer you right to trout fishing in streams.Bad move-especially during the dog days of August.
Panfish and bass[esp. the former are easier to learn on].A couple of weeks in August fishing too warm trout streams could leave a beginner fishless and frustrated.

Leeroy,

Thanks for your service. One of my brothers is 11B.

Let me know when you're home and want to go fishing, and if you can't find anyone to go with you, I'll drive up your way.

I'll let you use some of my stuff so you can get an idea for what you may like. I've got a couple medium action rods and one fast. I've also got a couple of reels and enough flies and other stuff so that we can both fish at the same time. Waders and boots would be the only issue since I only have the one pair.

Let me know with a PM.

Thanks to you too, fishidiot, and everyone else on this site who have served our country.

Geo

Leeroy, attached is a link to the commission webpage that outlines special license provisions for active military personnel. If you are normally a PA resident currently on active duty outside the state, you may not even need a license. I didn't go through the whole thing though, so you want to read this for the actual details.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/fishpub/summary/licenses.html

Hey everyone thanks for all your help..... i actually live right next to Jim Thorpe so thats where i'll be. As far as dontations i woulden't feel right just takeing someones stuff although i appriciate the offer KneeDeep i'd rather make an offer if anyone would has extra gear. I would like to go out fishing and try it out aswell but like i said i won't be home until the end of july into aug. either so it's still a while but i'm counting down the days..... I'll pm you guys closer to the time i get home or when i get home to work something out if possible..... thanx again keep it comeing lol

Do you have any dates? I understand they can change with the breeze. The same as with fishing. Safe trip home and God Bless!

Dear leeroy,

Thank you for your service!

I'm with Pete on this and think you might be better off trying for bass and panfish at the end of July and beginning of August. Summertime trout can be hard to learn on.

You have Mauch Chunk Dam right up the road from Jim Thorpe and that is a pretty good lake for bass and panfish. Beltzville isn't far away either. The Lehigh River right in town has smallmouth bass in it too.

All you need is a 5 or 6 weight rod and a couple of poppers and maybe some wooly buggers and some bigger, as in size 8 to 12 Hare's Ear nymphs or the same sized Prince nymphs.

With those flies you should have little trouble getting a couple of bass or bluegills or crappie to bite.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Well so far my date to leave Iraq for Kuwait is July 25th then i fly from kuwait to atlanta with a stop in europe prolly ireland or germany for a re fit so i figure i'll be state side flying into Philly or ABE bye the 28th based on what i hear from other guys that have already gone. then i have a few thinks to do like pick up my new pistol and concealed carry. and get my motorcyle permit then liscense so i can ride my new bike. there is also some tatto aspirations. i have 18days before i have to fly back and my time doesen't start until midnight from the day i land in Atlanta to get my connecting flight....

I found this on the cabelas website. Any one have any comments on how this is i think the price looks fair but i don't really know what i'm talking about lol.... http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20433-cat602038_TGP&id=0017452316491a&navCount=1&podId=0017452&parentId=cat602038&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=8IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat602038&hasJS=true

Not a bad starter kit, but once you fall for this sport (which you will) you'll most definately look to upgrade.

I have recomended that kit to a couple of friends becuase it comes with everything.

Not to change your mind, but if you have a serious interest in trying fly fishing and have the internal drive to want to learna nd succeed at this sport, I would upgrade to a higher priced rod. However, don't think of it interms of price, but in terms of quality. Fly equipment is like a lot of sports equipment in the fact that the really cheap stuff is functional, but the difference between the cheap and the intermediate equipment is vast. However the difference in quality between the intermediate and the high-end is minimal.

If I could do it over again, I would not by a starter kit, and would have rather put that money into an "nice" rod.

Overall, if you feel that you are going to stick with the sport for a while, I suggest you by an intermediate priced rod ($125-250), low-intermediate reel (cause all it practically does is hold line) ($45-80), cheap backing (

Back