new to FF and Philadelphia

A

alexandertbillotte

Hello everybody,
Im still relatively new to FF and will be relocating to the Philadelphia area this Saturday 6/21. I'm looking for any suggestions on where to fish (maybe access points too if you are willing to give directions or locations) as well as people that are looking for someone to fish with, grab a beer, etc. Thanks in advance!
Alex

alexandertbillotte wrote:
Hello everybody,
Im... relocating to the Philadelphia area this Saturday 6/21.

I'm sorry for your misfortune.

Jack has not a clue. Welcome. Where are you coming from and what parts exactly are you relocating to. You will find that we have the best fishing oppurtunities in the state, unless your one of those 5" Brook trout hunters. The delaware river offers some of the best fishing in the state with the exceptional shad and striper runs, great year round smallmouth and largemouth fishing, fantastic walleye fishing in the cooler months, and an impressive array of catfishing oppurtunities. Some may scoff at Catfishing but the flatheads are nearing the 50 lb mark.

Plenty of local warm water waterways that offer every type of panfish, bass and huge carp. If you want to challenge yourself try to land a carp on a fly rod. They are a very worthy adversary' and much more difficult to catch then most fish species.

Within an hours drive you can fish for 5" brook trout or hit the salt for stripers, flounder, sea bass, ling, cod, or whatever else grabs your fancy.

you will enjoy the fishing oppurtunies that we have in the area and will soon wonder why you did not come sooner.

Warm water fishing this time of year is great. Top water poppers and their action are spectaticular. fish are normally in the 5-8" range, I have on occasion hooked into some 3 lb smallies. The challenge is really in trying to locate them. I normally fish the PennyPack Park creek. Sometimes I will head out to Nashiminy Creek.

Reminder: it is pronounced filth a delphia.

Remember to always take a plastic bag and catch some of the litter in the area. It is one of the major problems that any park has that is located within city limits. This may be your biggest hook up of the day. I will greatly appreciate it and so will the wildlife in the area.

give me a call sometime when you get settled in. 267-338-8753. I normally answer the phone with Coach Jeff.

JackM wrote:
I'm sorry for your misfortune.

Welcome to the area alex. Poopdeck's got it pretty well covered...endless options depending on your fish of choice, and tolerable " fishing commute" time.

My availability to fish is limited for the next month or two, but feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to help out with any info.

Thanks a lot guys- I appreciate the info. Jeff- you'll definitely be hearing from me. I'm coming from the DC area but previously lived in Philly for 4 years, graduated from Temple and moved down here. I'll be living in East Falls as of this Saturday. Grew up in Central PA near State College and am big into camping/backpacking so if anyone's interested in that, let me know. I've been doing a little research through google- have you guys fished Wissahickon creek near the valley green inn before? Thanks again

Naw, I stay mostly in the NE Phila area. I am about 10 minutes at most to the creek.

alexandertbillotte wrote:
have you guys fished Wissahickon creek near the valley green inn before?

Its nice given the location...the park is actually pretty scenic. But the creek warms up in the summertime, so trout fishing is more of a spring/fall game when stockings happen. Otherwise, there are panfish, bass, and carp all over the creek.

This being said, I haven't been there in a good year or two, so I'm not sure how things have been recently.

poopdeck wrote:
Jack has not a clue. Welcome. Where are you coming from and what parts exactly are you relocating to. You will find that we have the best fishing oppurtunities in the state, unless your one of those 5" Brook trout hunters. The delaware river offers some of the best fishing in the state with the exceptional shad and striper runs, great year round smallmouth and largemouth fishing, fantastic walleye fishing in the cooler months, and an impressive array of catfishing oppurtunities. Some may scoff at Catfishing but the flatheads are nearing the 50 lb mark.

Plenty of local warm water waterways that offer every type of panfish, bass and huge carp. If you want to challenge yourself try to land a carp on a fly rod. They are a very worthy adversary' and much more difficult to catch then most fish species.

Within an hours drive you can fish for 5" brook trout or hit the salt for stripers, flounder, sea bass, ling, cod, or whatever else grabs your fancy.

you will enjoy the fishing oppurtunies that we have in the area and will soon wonder why you did not come sooner.

To clarify: There are some carp within an hour or so. The fact that so many around here choose to fish for them should tell you all you really need to know. There are also small panfish and bass in streams riddled with refrigerators and auto parts just about everywhere, as well, if you've had a recent tetanus innoculation. There are indeed catfish in the Schuykill river, but you can't eat them (you can't eat anything from freshwater anywhere near here if you have sense). Further, there are catfish and carp in every tepid piece of otherwise filthy water everywhere in the East, for that matter. There are a few nice little wild trout streams (with nice little wild trout) within an hour or so, as well. From time to time, as you might imagine, people show up to fish these streams. It is also true that the shore is but an hour away (if you drive at 90), and that there are fish in the Atlantic Ocean. Stripers haven't been fishing well with a fly rod from shore in about five years or so (maybe four), so unless you are looking for countless hours of casting practice, you probably should use bait or charter a boat. You can catch flounder on a fly-that is true. I've never seen or heard of anyone catching a ling on a flyrod ever. I haven't heard of anyone catching a cod in the last ten years anywhere on any type of rod. There are bluefish, however, and lots of them. They love flies. What they most seem to love about them is their ability to turn them back into bare hooks in one fight. Do not lip bluefish. On the subject of toothy critters, there actually are some decent spots for musky nearby (if you're into that sort of thing).

If, however, you're looking for beautiful settings, clear, clean, fertile water, big hatches, and big, healthy fish, you are generally, at a minimum, at least two hours if not three from where you need to be to experience that. Sorry to break the spell that Poopdeck may have spun, but I can't let you think you're headed somewhere where the fishing is good. It ain't. Three hours, and it can be fantastic. But generally, Jack is right on. Best of luck to you, and like Jack, I offer my humble condolences. Perhaps if you are coming here from industrialized Guanging Province in China, you will find the fishing to be an improvement, but if you have been places other than SE PA, you will likely find things a bit lacking.

Welcome to the area, and although I was born and raised in philadelphia, and often fish locally, I must say that I wish i lived further north. I find myself looking for more and more places to travel to in search of better more scenic cleaner fishing. But, There are places to fish, The sport can still be enjoyable, but as was said, if youre used to not so urban areas to fish, youll be disappointed.

With that being said, it doesnt mean you cant still enjoy yourself. Im addicted to fishing. So if you ever find yourself short a fishing partner, let me know. Im in Northeast Philly about 3 blocks from the border of bucks county.

-Ryan

Surf cowboy, you should get out more. The jersey shore is exactly one hour away. Sounds like your a wildwood guy so I guess it would take a little longer at 90 mph.

Don't let the naysayers deter you. the fishing, not fly fishing, but often time this includes fly fishing, is fantastic.

East Falls, eh. Depending where you are in the Falls you could walk down to the Schuylkill. There's a wall that runs down along Kelly Drive from the Falls Bridge down to the Twin Bridges. Most of the bait slingers set up along Kelly Drive, but it's a stepped wall and the lower step is three or four feet off the water. Side arm or roll casts should work. If you walk down to the railroad bridges you can see the rocks that formed the falls that gave the area it's name.
I fish the Wissahickon usually parking at Valley Green, Bells Mill or North west Ave.
If you want to fish the creek near the Inn. Walk down to just below the Inn, cross at the bottom of the riffles to the other side. You can work your way downstream a couple of hundred yards, and cast to the Forbidden Drive side of the creek, that's where the creek channel is and I've done well there on smallmouth, small largemouth and sunfish. Or you can walk upstream toward the dam. You can wade most of the creek in that stretch. Depending how far you want to walk you can walk up to the Rex Ave Bridge. Another nice stretch for wading. Generally, the further you are from the parking areas the better the fishing. Smallmouth, largemouth and various sunfishes will be you main target. Though you might find a trout or two hanging out near the springs in the creek. This time of year top water is the way to go.

valley green this time of year has some decent smallies come in every now and then ive caught them up to 16 inches around there thats a good place to start. most of the trout will be gone but you will be surprised at how many 10-12 inch smallmouth there are.

Well, I do from time to time head up to NY Salmon River to test my wits and strength. I only got to go once last year and two days later I blew out my achillies (both).

I have both an 8 wt and a 10wt rod and large net. I normally make it a one day trip leaving at around 3 a.m. and getting back around 11:00 p.m. If anyone is crazy as I, we could team up.

This would be sept or Oct timeframe.

Welcome Alex, I'm interested in knowing where you come from. Philly is a great place, despite what Jack may think, most people that criticize the city have never been there. Philly was the center of culture in the U.S. for roughly 300 years before New york even though about culture.
It has many great Universities and Colleges, some good sports teams some not so good.
Fishing is quite diverse in the area.There's lot's of warm water fishing and you only have to go about 20 miles from Center City to find good trout water.
Go a bit further you can find great trout water.Once north of Philly in the Delaware that river is clean enough that you can wet wade if you want, but I wouldn't.
Don't wet wade the Schuylkill though. It's quite polluted, but the drainage does hold the largest brookies that I caught in all of PA. It is trout water about Blue Mountain, not very far from Philly.

I am coming from the Baltimore/DC area but I've only lived here the last two years. I went to Temple from 08-12 and am a special education teacher. I grew up in Central PA and was big into spinning rod fishing growing up, just never got into fly fishing. Recently was home fishing Spring Creek near State College (I'm from very close to there). I know there isn't anything comparable to that fishing-wise in the Philly area, but I'm open to anything and even traveling within an hour and a half or so to better trout streams.

Surf summed up the reality of it pretty well. You can always drive better places.

Alex,

What part of Central PA. I am from a big city in that area called Howard. I live in upstate, NY now but still love to get back home to fish Fishing Creek. Good luck in Philly.

Hey Matt,
I'm from Clearfield, thanks.

Home of the Big Burger place. I used to go to our high school football games and stop at Keith's bar on the way back to Bald Eagle Area. We would not get carded there.

Back