my favorite hometown spot (thread moved)

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Fished my favorite hometown spot on 5/23/07. I saw some fish schooling there when I was walking around but didn't know what species they were. Never saw them before. It was a school of stripers in the stream section. I hooked one on a green bugger. My first striper! It was about a pound, pound and a half. Got skunked from there on out. Except, when I was fishing a hopper and cast over this stick, tried to pop the fly over the stick and hooked it. Except, the stick was a snake! I saw 4 or 5 snakes in the water all day and this guy was MAD! I wasn't about to find out if it had a triangle head or not, so i made a quick jerk and my knot gave way, thank goodness...

To date in this one spot on the stream I have caught the following species of fish.
Brown Trout
Rainbow Trout (both stocked)
sunfish
smallmouth
largemouth
striper
catfish
carp

no wonder I keep coming back to this spot!

and the other day I had my fly sitting in the water and was looking through my box to change flies. Took my fly in and a snail the size of my fist somehow took my fly! lol

a blue herron was fishing about 20 feet up from me. He caught 5 stripers!
I lost!

i always like hearing about fishing stories :-D those snakes have been out in full force lately. most likely it was a water snake. they lack teeth but have plates in thier mouths. make no mistake....a large water snake will hurt when it bites you. trust me know from when i was a child and used to mess with those guys at the nearby class a stream. (i dont fear snakes, but spiders....yuck!)
anyways i dont know if they will let you keep this post up. i couldnt post about local brook trout streams with out naming them and in which county. none of which im about to do.

Yes, "reports" like these are better suited for another forum because there is no useful information for another angler. Dave Kile wants the stream reports limited to reports of actual fishing experiences and observations on reasonably identified streams. While he would prefer that the stream be identified, even if the general location is given and the type of stream, with some information about weather and stream conditions or hatches, a reader may get some useful information even without the stream name. The reason is that eventually he hopes to incorporate these reports into a database that can be easily searched. Even now, a search could be conducted for stream names, counties or dates if the poster places these in his thread title. Posts such as this can be posted on the general discussion board.

I decided to leave this alone for a short time, then move it to the general forum. Nothing personal. Please read over the guidelines for stream reports in the stickie notes at the top of the forum.

Guys,

Jack is right. Not a big deal, but location and helpful fly fishing details are part of posts. You might find the General Forum a good spot for this kind of comment. Just trying to keep to specific Fly Fishing posts here.

We will move this to the general forum on Friday.

Thanks,

Dave

I'm going to give this a bump since we moved it from the Stream Reports thread. :)

Back