Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

monster trout.

From franklin county
Other then steelhead I'm in for a challenge to find monster trout. Im not asking to give up your secret honey hole. More so just a direction for trout over 5 ponds or more. Im going to start locally in franklin county the venture out. Any locations or streams give me a shout.

Posted on: 4/12 21:47

Re: monster trout.
From Gettysburg
Five pounds? That's an ambitious goal.

If this is your genuine standard.... To be honest, your best bet for that would be to focus on stocked streams that are stocked by clubs or with PFBC breeder fish or private waters where fish are artificially fed.

Personally, if I may be so bold as to suggest an alternative, that you set the bar at 20 inches rather than five pounds. Twenty inch wild brown trout are a very real challenge but are common enough around here that you can set a realistic goal of catching them. A typical 20" wild trout in PA will weigh around 3 pounds by comparison. When you get the hang of targeting 20" browns you may eventually get a genuine five pounder.

With respect to where to go: focus on limestone streams or limestone influenced streams like Yellow Breeches or other medium to larger waterways; fish them at low light conditions in their lower reaches rather than headwaters; and stick to streamer flies. Have the discipline to ignore hatches and small rising fish and stick to big stuff. Rainy days and the colder months of the year can be your friend (esp in those downstream areas where bigger browns tend to reside). Skip those sunny days, however tempting, and choose to fish at night instead.

Posted on: 4/12 22:36

From NW Penna
Tailwaters of Kinzua dam clear to warren...

Posted on: 4/12 23:29

From Camp Hill, PA
I agree with Fishidiot's post.

His suggestion to reach for consistent 20" goal is achievable. The larger fish will come. A five pound wild brown of normal proportions is 23 to 24". They are much less common than the 20".

I base my comments on a detailed log of my own catches "20-inches and over". I have only been learning about trout for 10 years. In recent years of non-stop hunting large browns, I have been getting a handful of 5 to 7 pound fish during the period of a year. That is fishing all seasons and even below freezing temps. Summer time tends to be an off season for me…but I continue to look. Learn the local waters and the behaviors of it's fish. This is key. Where I fish there are few fish of the size you seek. Persistence bordering on obsession gets the fish.

Here is a fish I recently posted in the fish gallery on this forum. Not your typical catch at 26" and pushing 8 pounds (in the day light).

You would most likely not need to leave your county to find the fish you seek, but it may take a while to learn where it is and how to land it…and lots of commitment. I believe there are places in PA where you can have better success due to larger average fish sizes.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_4821_R.jpg (127.15 KB)
7920_534a0705c7998.jpg 212X402 px

Posted on: 4/12 23:40

Edited by Night_Stalker on 2014/4/13 0:12:39

From Mechanicsburg PA
Agree with all posts so far. You just have to believe the fish are there. Read up on George Harvey and even Joe Humphreys Trout Tactics For some good nocturnal techniques. Leave your 5 weight in the truck and think 6-7-8 depending on size of streamers/ buggers used. Winter flows on larger rivers can be deceptively dangerous. Neoprene waders make a big difference too in 40 something temps. Read the water then break some rules too. Very often large browns will be in shallow tail outs or edges as dusk settles. Working "holes" is good practice but large browns don't always feed where you expect them to be. Solitude on a moonless night - good luck

Posted on: 4/13 0:34

From York, PA
I want to be Night Stalkers adopted son.

Posted on: 4/13 5:19

From Sweet Valley
I agree with sipe. Night Stalkers photos of fish make my jaw drop.

Posted on: 4/13 6:56

From franklin county
I really like the response and help on this. Will the lj be one of the big fishing spots?

Posted on: 4/13 8:51

From Gettysburg
Quote:

captbugger wrote:
Will the lj be one of the big fishing spots?

Yes.

Posted on: 4/13 8:59

From franklin county
Big springs has produced some really nice fish. Matter of gact a guy caught a 15 lb brown out of there the pic is up in yellow breeches fly shop. I am very familiar with this stream but when it comes to monsters fish what is the ticket fly?

Posted on: 4/13 9:00

From Gettysburg
Quote:

captbugger wrote:
when it comes to monsters fish what is the ticket fly?

There is no "ticket fly." You're trying too hard to find specific, magic answers.

Pay your dues and remember: it's a puzzle - enjoy putting the pieces together.

See my post above: use streamers. Big ones with lots of movement. It is more important however to fish under low light conditions and in the best habitat (those lower river sections during colder months). Don't overlook lesser known waters as well. There are big trout in some places that aren't well known such as the streams you refer to above. Some big streams/small rivers that are better known for bass fishing in summer can be a good place to explore during the colder months. There's often what I call the transition zone in these rivers where you get bass in summer but after October there are some very large trout that start to show up. The upper Potomac River in Maryland is a good example. There are some other examples closer to you....but I'll let you explore and find them.

Posted on: 4/13 9:15

yough , clarion , allegheny rivers

I know a guy that caught a 12 and 14 lb brown out of the yough on spinning gear.

Fish of 10,000 casts

Posted on: 4/13 9:17

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
Pay your dues

This, is truth.

Big fish don't just happen, it's a process, or sometimes just dumb luck. Go to your local 'bridge hole' and look for the big breeder palimino they plopped in there, they like velveta, that's dumb luck, imo.. Or put in your time on the local beats that you already know hold big fish, and make your luck thru persistence and experience...or become content being a dry fly preferential fisherperson and be thrilled to catch anything over 14-16" on your 3wt.

Posted on: 4/13 10:56

From lancaster county
There are fish in your area in that class. As others said, it's a matter of finding them. Not only the right place but also the right time.

Posted on: 4/13 11:34

From Camp Hill, PA
The 15 pound brown referred to by captbugger has been harvested by a group of guys. I was told they have also caught and kept several other large browns from the same place. We are speaking of "wild" 26 to 32 inch fish that would be possibly 15 years old or older. I'm not sure that Big Spring will continue to be an option for monster browns. Rainbows in Big Spring is a different story. I have not caught anything large there...yet. An adventure to look forward to. Big Spring is not entirely catch and release unfortunately. The Le Tort is a stream that could also that could benefit from additional catch and release classification of it's wild fish.

Posted on: 4/13 13:07

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com