low flows in SEPA

geebee

geebee

Hi Guys,

I was thinking of fishing in the morning, but the gauges look real low everywhere - on or about the 25th percentile for the day.

so, two questions, are streams like Hammer, Fishing, Donegal etc likely to be too low, and 2) even though stream temps are down, is it better to leave the fish be until we get some rain ?

thoughts ?

cheers

Mark.

The water is cool again in most streams except for some tail-race fisheries. Go for it.

As said before, the water temps are probably ok, but I know the trout on the donegal are a lot harder to catch when the water is really low (probably true most places). I would fish the susquehanna for bass, which has been good lately and is better for fly fishing with low water imo. You can wait for some rain to fish trout streams or just have a lower expectation of the trout fishing. Either way the weather looks like it will be good for fishing this weekend. Good luck!

low flow=good conditions for ST reproduction, mediocre conditions for BT reproduction

icyguides wrote:
As said before, the water temps are probably ok, but I know the trout on the donegal are a lot harder to catch when the water is really low (probably true most places). I would fish the susquehanna for bass, which has been good lately and is better for fly fishing with low water imo. You can wait for some rain to fish trout streams or just have a lower expectation of the trout fishing. Either way the weather looks like it will be good for fishing this weekend. Good luck!

+1....There ya go!

well i tried fishing creek. way too low. i walked and drove the whole stretch. did find a couple of plunge pools where i spooked a couple, but otherwise needs to be about 6-12" higher to provide safe depth for trout i think.

a nice morning out, got the boots wet and noted some nice spots for winter and spring - its a pretty little creek - water temps were 60F ish.

streams are very low in SEPA. i know the temps may be good but some parts of my favorite stream are but a trickle. Supposed to get 1.5" of rain on Thursday. we need it.

an inch and a half hardly moved the flow here. sucks,

Better than not getting 1.5" and having the streams fall even further..

Mike wrote:
low flow=good conditions for ST reproduction, mediocre conditions for BT reproduction

What is the cause of that?

Back