lake nockamixon

M

moosehunter

has anyone had luck with the fly rod on the lake??

Also, are there any good trout streams up that way that i should hit in the fall?

the lake is great for the long rod. I have caught musky, pickeral, bass, stripers and walleyes there for years. There are a few but they are private mostly. I have fished them.

I've fished the Nock a lot with traditional bass gear. Not so much with a fly rod. In August most of my bass have come from 15 - 20 feet deep outside of weed lines and on drop offs. I use jigs or tubes fished real slow. To me that's not a time to use a fly rod. If I were to use a fly rod now I would get out at the crack of dawn with a light colored heavy weight Clouser on the outer weed edges. Best to have a boat, canoe, or yak.

Once we get into October the bass will start cruising the shallow weed beds chowing down in preparation for winter. I would expect you could do well with streamers then. Make sure you try something with chartreuse and stripped fast. You may pick up a number of unexpected pickerel as well.

Tried it once, didn't catch a thing. Not a fan of fishing lakes though, so ymmv. IMO, you'd be better off fishing the dam spillway (tohicken creek) for smallies and walleyes. Even better fishing, again imo, is the delaware river up that way. Easy to wade and great smallie fishing.

moosehunter,
Saucon Creek is 20 minutes away from Nockamixon on 412 in Hellertown.

Back