lake fishing

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I know most people on this site are partial to fishing in streams. I proably will do more in streams also but just wondering what techniques people use for fishing for trout, mostly stocked, in lakes. I've caught bass and panfish with little to no problems, but had no success for trout. May be that they hold deeper and a fly line can't reach them but always looking for advice.

Tiny hackled black ants (#18) apparently kill on a trout lake around here.

one day an old timer told me that it's because the ants get in the pellets at the hatchery. The pellets get kicked in and the ants get eaten.

I thought it was tripe, but take it for what you think its worth.

I've also seen sulphurs taken on lakes before during sparse hatches.

I LOVE ants. when nothing's biting... an ant is my go to. thin piece of black foam tied on with a turn or 2 of black hackle. easy to tie and catches anything. My local lake has an early season in march and as far as i know they dont stock the stream above and below it. So trying to get some advice to catch a few before the april stocking comes.

I love fishing lakes from the float tube. I have a sinking line I use most of the time and put a big bugger on it and let it sink...then let it sink some more...You don't have to strip, you can just keep kicking and you kind of troll. Caught thousands of trout that way. If I see something that tells there is a certain place the trout are holding, i'll try to park a short cast away and cast over them and then strip it thru the spot. Usually up toward the surface seems to work best. Short fast strips using just my wrist to pull the line up onto the apron. Of course if i see risers I just switch spools and my floating line is ready to go. Later when the weeds get nasty, I use the floating line more and more even for weighted buggers. I caught trout at 40 feet on size 18 chironomids once in Idaho on the advice of a friend. That was cool. But I prefer a leisurely kick around the lake trolling a bugger or damsel nymph, sometimes both. From shore lake fishing is more like stream fishing...always moving, looking for something. Dredging with streamers, nymphs below an indicator or dries to rises that are usually 5 feet further than I can cast. Find one of those lake they stock with the trout from North Carolina and dries are a must.

ryguyfi wrote:
I LOVE ants. when nothing's biting... an ant is my go to. thin piece of black foam tied on with a turn or 2 of black hackle. easy to tie and catches anything. My local lake has an early season in march and as far as i know they dont stock the stream above and below it. So trying to get some advice to catch a few before the april stocking comes.

I tie the same fly in sizes 18-22... just without the hackle. I don't think it helps. I segment them into three parts.

I've caught trout on the ants in all summer months... i love to fish them behind a cahill or adams.

For the early stockers, wooley buggers should be good. Also try slowly stripping something like a hare's ear with a few turns of partridge around the head.

Back