is this a native brookie?

fishingkidPA

fishingkidPA

i was on a camping/fishing trip in NW PA and did alot of fishing through the weekend despite the rain. Caught alot of stocked trout near the few access points of this creek. We later did a hike up stream a couple miles and started fishing. At this point we were a couple miles in each direction from access points. I caught alot of small trout which seemed to me to be native brookies, almost all 7" and under. With one trophy 9" that slipped out of my hand before i could snap a pic but here is another picture of one, so is this native, or if not maybe wild? unless they stocked fingerlings around this area i dont think the PFBC stock trout under 7". oh well you guys know about what natives look like more than me. sorry about the crappy pic it was off my cell phone.

thanks

Attachments

• 0514111812 (1).jpg
    0514111812 (1).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 2
All brook trout are native to Pennsylvania however your fish does also appear to have been born in the stream you caught it in (wild).
They are fun fish arent they.

BrookieBuster101 wrote:
All brook trout are native to Pennsylvania however your fish does also appear to have been born in the stream you caught it in (wild).
They are fun fish arent they.

thanks for clearing it up for me. yes they are very fun, i must have caught 30 or so in an hour or two.

It looks like a native to me from what I can see of the fins. It still has parr markings on it, so its a young trout. Glad to here your doing good. hope you catch a lot more.

I agree - it certainly looks like a typical wild brook trout to me.
Nice job Kid! Fishing for small stream wild brookies is a fun PA tradition.

Back