if you could only own 3 rods.....

short 3 wt
9ft 5wt (4pc)
9 (or 10) ft 8wt

If I sold all my other rods..those are the 3 I'd keep

I'll bite

Because I am a bit of a gear junky here's my opinion:

3wt 7'9" or 7'6" bamboo, I believe one of the fairy tapers? not sure how they breakdown bamboo rod classification. I just know my buddy has some that feel like the perfect dry fly rods.

5wt 9' Sage VXP, I have one and it suits me perfect for all sorts of water and fish. but thats just me.

7wt Sage 99, Pretty much my fav rod ever. I nymph 90 percent of the time and this thing does it all and does it easily. I haven't had it to erie yet but I'm very much looking forward to it.

I like where your heads at tom

tomgamber wrote:
short 3 wt
9ft 5wt (4pc)
9 (or 10) ft 8wt

If I sold all my other rods..those are the 3 I'd keep

Yep, except 4wt for 1st rod.

tomgamber wrote:
short 3 wt
9ft 5wt (4pc)
9 (or 10) ft 8wt

those are the only 3 rods i have:
6'6" llbean 3 wt.
9' avid 5 wt.
9' 8 wt. fenwick hmx

Well, since I only own three rods (again....I'm a poor man in a rich man's sport!)

I have a 6' 3 weight
7.5' 5 weight
9' 8 weight

It gets me through!

I technically own 6, but there are only 3 basic sizes/weight I think are needed, and frankly, only 2 that I use much since steelhead and bass outings are fairly rare for me. But anyway, here goes. For any of them, something in the ballpark would do, so for instance going up or down 6 inches or 1 line weight is no big deal.

1. 7'6" 5 wt for small, tight streams.
2. 9 ft 5 wt for medium-large streams
3. 10 ft 7 wt for steelhead/bass

I could do a lot of damage with those basic tools...

Do we have to list brands!?
My 3 weight is an old Berkley Parametric Delux that an 80 something year old gave me for Christmas this year. He's unloading a lot of his gear on me, slowly but surely. Can't remember the reel, but its this old metal thing. Its actually pretty sweet. I love this combo.

My 5 weight is a Cortland that I bought at the corner store in Oleana about 12 years ago when my Scott rod tip broke on a week long trip. I needed something quick but didn't have a lot of cash. Found this rod and have been using it ever since. It just feels good in my hand (that's what she said). It may not be a Scott, but it's served me right over all these years. I'm kind of nostalgic about the rod I think. It has an Okuma Sierra on it that I got for Christmas when I first started fly fishing.

My 8 weight is a Cabelas 3 Forks combo I think. I bought it just before taking a vacation down to Jacksonville FL w/ my wife. We had a beech house all week at St Augustine. I caught a shiner on it...now I use it for carp.

Right now I just have two....

Two 8'6 White River CV Rods in 5 and 8 Weight both have White River Hobbs Creek reels. I got these before I started fly fishing because it looked like something I wanted to get into about 6 years ago.

If I could get a third rod it would be a 7'6 3 weight......dont know a brand that I would get

9' 4wt

9' 5wt

10' 7wt

Not a fan of short rods, huh? I love my 6'.

I wpould have to say:
a 7' 3/4 weight
a 8' 5 weight
a 9' 6/7 weight

krayfish wrote:
9' 4wt

9' 5wt

10' 7wt

ditto except the light rod would be a #3 for me.

Bamboo, bamboo and bamboo.;-)

Seriously though. I can and have gotten by with the following.

6 or 6.5' 3 or 4 wt.

8' 5/6 weight

9 or 10 foot 7 or 8 wt.

If you had asked for only 2, I'd just drop the small one.

East
5 foot 2wt.
6 foot 3wt.
7 foot 5wt.-these are guesses on wt.-pre number days bamboo.
West
8 ft. 5wt.
81/2 6wt.
9 ft 8wt. all fast action graphite[sage]

6 ft.2 wt
9ft 5 wt.
9 ft 8 wt
Fishing the 2 wt. is a blast.
The 5 wt. is the go to rod.

The 8 wt. is great for the Trib. fishing I have done.
Depending on where I'm headed determines what goes in the rod case.

If it were to cover all aspects of fishing i would have the following:

7.5' 4 wt.

9' 5 wt

9' 8wt.

With these you could catch freshwater trout, bass, steelhead and with the 8 wt still have some saltwater applications.

CatchingChrome wrote:
If it were to cover all aspects of fishing i would have the following:

7.5' 4 wt.

9' 5 wt

9' 8wt.

With these you could catch freshwater trout, bass, steelhead and with the 8 wt still have some saltwater applications.

Agreed. Although i may adjust the 8wt to a 7 or 9 depending on if you live close to the salt or closer to bass/steel.

Myself am approximating that. I currently have:

7.5' 4wt
9'5wt
9' 7wt

I do have an 9' 4wt as well but i hardly ever use it now.

I'd like to ad a 9 or 10 ft 9wt for the salt in the future.

7 1/2 ft 4wt.for brookies
9 ft 7wt. for steelies
9ft 10wt. for muskys

Back