Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: how many fish can you catch?

From Butler County
100+ trout days are relatively easy with the spinning rod under the right conditions, not so much with the fly rod for me. While I have had a couple of days of 40-50, if I get 20 with flies it's a good day.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 18:19

From Mont Co, Pa
My best day fishing for wild trout was 40, and I fish some streams where this isn't a crazy number at all, but I also fish some really beautiful streams where this number is a dream. I do keep notes for every stream I fish. Date, weather, stream flow/ temp, numbers/type of trout, and a side note for bigger fish. I like comparing results of different outings. I just love going to the areas where this fish live, numbers or not.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 19:06

From Sweet Valley
I know Spring Creek pretty well and I have fished with guys who claim they religiously catch 40-50 on it. They have NEVER caught close to that many when I have fished with them and my 15 were actually more than them. I would love to see somebody have a 50 fish day, I am completely self taught in the nymphing game and would love to watch somebody who knows what they are doing pull 40-50 fish out of an area where I struggle to get past 15. I will supply beer afterwards if anybody fishes Spring creek and lets me witness how to be that successful.

Edit: I am not trying to start an argument but the only person I have ever witnessed fish Spring Creek that truly kicked its butt was Frank Nale. I run into him quite a bit and that guy is truly a trout catching machine. That being said, I understand most people don't believe him one bit.

But I want to see someone do it with a fly rod!

Posted on: 2013/3/1 19:16

From Monessen, PA
99 is my highest, so I think 100 or more is impossible.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 19:26

From Clearfield
If I lose count I'm happy, that means I'm not too focused and enjoying myself......

and I don't know whats worse....that there was a reference using "LotR" as an abbreviation or that I knew what you meant without thinking about it

Posted on: 2013/3/1 20:34

From Glen Lyon
My most trouts in a day was maybe 30 at hickory run in the state park and best maybe 16in fishing close down by lehigh.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 21:54

From Central PA
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Coty that "competition" was funny! We were like Legolas and Gimli counting the orcs we killed.

Oh man I just made a LotR reference...my nerdom has been outed!

if you catch a 20 incher does that still only count as 1?

Posted on: 2013/3/1 22:20

From Clearfield
guess it depends if your an elf or a dwarf

Posted on: 2013/3/1 22:44

From Southwest, Pa
16... everytime; usually on the mealy/waxie combo

I have an awesome mind for numbers, yet can never keep an exact count on my fish unless I concsiousley do so. I know I have been in double digits each Saturday and Sunday for the past 3 weekends on a local tail water, but it's a private club...

however, fish are now refusing bigger nymphs and eggs, and I've resorted to smaller (16-18) shop vacs breaking out of white sucks (antron or zelan) and the occasional pt w. a perfect taper.

when march/april hits and i'm throwing dries to freestone wilds... 40 is an easy day.

same goes for fresh stockies.

it's still always... 16

Posted on: 2013/3/2 0:08

-Art Lee

There was a time not too long ago when I accepted some grief about supporting competitive fly fishing. They had rules so I'm wondering in comparing what are yours?

There is a difference to put your rod in a puddle full of fish than to catch fish in the worst conditions and places you never thought fish would be.

One fantastic fish ....where you would never expect it.... is worth 100 of nothing you never really earned. Stockies, catch them eat them, but half starved native brookies. Geez you can catch them on a pin. Not much to brag about.

Guess I should have read the whole post. I must be missing something,so no worries not into crashing on a good day of fishing.

Posted on: 2013/3/2 2:12

Edited by wetnet on 2013/3/2 2:46:27

any day I see a fish, before it sees me, can throw a line and watch a refusal or a take, thats the best day, everytime!

Posted on: 2013/3/2 3:52

From Lewistown, PA
I'm coming up on 8 months of fly fishing now, and a great day for me has been about 8 trout in a 3 hour outing. Being a student I don't ever find time to spend a whole day on the water. This winter a really great outing has been 1 or 2 fish in a 2 or 3 hour outing!

I'm relocating to Lewistown after I finish school, and have a full time job lined up. There are lots of awesome trout streams up there, so I imagine in the next couple years a "great" day for me will be significantly better than a "great" day right now.

Posted on: 2013/3/2 13:21

From Bucks County
If I just catch one wild trout I am hammering them!!

Posted on: 2013/3/2 14:59

From Mont Co, Pa
I noticed one thing regarding numbers. The days I caught some of my biggest trout were usually days when I didn't have big numbers of fish.

Posted on: 2013/3/2 16:44

From Lancaster County
Best day ever was a think an Opening Day weekend in ANF - something like 73 fish. About half were stockers and the reset were wild fish from some of the small freestoners there. Best fly-only day was a fall afternoon on the Donegal - black wooly bugger and I caught 60+. My numbers used to be quasi-accurate, in that they probably had a margin of error of +/- 10%. Last year, I recorded every fish in a fishing app on my phone and I'd say I may have off by 1 fish My criteria for recording a fish as caught was that I would have been able to take a picture of it with my phone.

I'd like to do a 100 trout day sometime, if I can find enough time and stream distance to fish, and a stream with decent enough numbers in it.

Posted on: 2013/3/2 17:00

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com