Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: how many fish can you catch?

"thats 20 fish an hour? thats not that hard,"

I must be a pretty horrible fisherman, along with everyone else I have ever fished with, including Charlie!

Posted on: 2013/3/1 9:20

I never catch more than a couple or a few. Especially when meeting someone I don't know on a stream. But even the skunk count is considered a good day to me if I'm on the water.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 9:23

From Frederick, MD & New Philly, OH
I landed over 80+ on the gunpowder in the winter of 08 in one day in one run. This doesn't count the fish I leadered. Then my number would have been 100+. The fish were stacked and they were gorging themselves during a crazy hatch. I had to have caught the same fish over and over again. I just can't imagine there being that many fish in that run. However, the gunpowder had many more fish and they were bigger back then. That all changed after the flood...

Posted on: 2013/3/1 9:27

I count streams, not fish.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 10:24

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I caught 231. Frank Nale was my mentor.

They say if you say his name 3 times. Frank Nale......Frank Nale....... Frrrrrraaaaaannnnnkkkkkk Nnnnnn. I can't do it.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 10:32

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Ephrata, PA
Right on k-bob. I'm much more interested in how many waters I fish.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 10:40

I just googled Frank Nale....
he put the D in Douche

fish counting can get tail dog wagging.

From MidAtlantic
I agree that whether it is a smoking day or not depends on the time of year, the resource, and what you typically expect from a body of water based on past experience. I might get 80 fish on a small river with wild trout that does not get a lot of fishing pressure, however most of the fish would be small to mediums. On highly pressured public waters in the Winter, any day in the double digits might be a really good day. On the main stem of some rivers that tend to produce a few big trout, a day in the double digits is tremedous day. Then there are the few trips that only come once in a long time where you have a stupendous day beyond all expectations. Those are the trips you will always remember and it is even better if you get to share it with one of your fishing buds.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 10:41

Dont get me wrong, put me on a stream and I focus on catching fish (particularly if I have never been there before). But I have had a few great trips lately, catching just a few fish in really cold water in streams not even on the nat repro list.

Fish counting can be fine, but letting it become the point has issues. Good to admire the fine scenery and streams we have, do well given the conditions, learn something. Sometimes these things happen even without catching too many...

Posted on: 2013/3/1 10:45

From Central PA
i was just curious when reading someone saying they hammered em if they meant 15 or 80.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 10:56

I would say it depends on the number of fish in the stream, conditions (weather / time of year), and if one is fishing dries or nymphs or streamers. For me, if I'm fishing dries and I'm having consistant rises to my fly, I'm a happy fisherman even if I'm not landing the fish. I think dry fly fishing is more entertaining than nymphing.

On Spring Creek, I would say slaying them would be 20 every 3-4 hours for example.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 11:03

From Delaware County
I do keep a very detailed log, but it's done with the intention of predicting better future outings. I record the date, hours fished, # of fish caught, and water gauge readings and have an elaborate set of spreadsheets to track the data - really gets the wife excited if you know what I mean

Basically I know that when water flows are X for stream Y, I average Z amount of trout per hour. Again the time of year impacts this. More importantly tracking water flows lets me know when the stream is too low to fish or too high and dangerous to fish when I'm planning a trip.

I really enjoy the stat piece of fishing as well - that's the accountant in me. I don't track #'s for glory and bragging, this is fishing after all.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 12:58

From Dauphin PA
I'm waiting for the 100 fish in one day on the Delaware. Then I'm calling bs.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 14:18

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
i was just curious when reading someone saying they hammered em if they meant 15 or 80.

I know you were, but there's not a straightforward answer.

I don't know of any situations where 80 is a bad day. But there are situations where it's merely a good day, and 15 would be a terrible day.

And there are other situations where 80 is a pipe dream to laugh at. 5 might be considered a good day, and 15 is really hammering them.

And everything in between. There are even situations where if I get 2 or 3 I would say I did well.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 14:27

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com