hatch fever (whats the temp??)

J

jolie

seems we have some understandable hatch fever.

but from what I've heard we're still in the early season, right? and BTW, what are water temperatures like right now?? A guy on a local bait store tried to tell me temps weren't much above the mid 40's...

is this right?? we've had 60-70 degree heat (unseasonable heat) up here for nearly three weeks. wouldn't this rush things along??

But my streamside experiences seem to validate that the water is yet too cold for a lot of activity; pods of recently stocked fish- listless and staying in their stocked honey holes; while nearby shallow water lies have nothing.

Hatch wise, I have seen caddis. perhaps I am missing stones or little mayflies, but definitely there's been no large or heavy mayfly hatches when I've been fishing. Where I see fish, I see alot of them (stockies) and they seem uninterested in caddis imitations...

altogether, I've found no reason to even put on a dry fly yet this year. I look forward to 'matching a hatch' but confused by the slow start. It's almost may 1. perhaps I am expecting something more dramatic.

Jason

Look a the USGS streamflow chart. The far right column is the temp. in C. To give you an idea, 10* C = 50*F. I would guess that the water temps are near normal for this time of year – maybe just a tad low.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/current/?type=flow

The hatches have started on many streams and will continue through May and June. 55*F - 65*F is in the ideal range for most trout and most of the hatches but you must be in the right stream at the right time. Unfortunately, many streams do not have prolific hatches, but now is the time for the big hatches to begin on most streams.

so my tackle shop guy is not that far off then...

if the rivers are near 50°F, a small freestone stream from the forest very well might be in the 40's...

question is... will this keep the trout from moving? within 1/2 mile of a well stocked trout hole I found nothing except, exactly at the hole they put them in...

is this because;
the waters too cold for fish to move much
the stockies are still too new to spread out
or I'm not being stealthy enough

Jason

Jason-

I have found that recently stocked fish need a little time to spread out. I have had similar experiences where there are a great many recently stocked fish are in one holding area and had no interest in anything I drifted by.

This might sound a little funny but this is why I like fishing for wild trout. I find it sometimes easier* fishing for wilds because they are acting how you would expect them to act. The fish are feeding on maybe couple different types of insects.

*easier to me means- you might be able to eliminate some flies and or narrow it down to a couple types of bugs and how they might be taking them. like on top, emergers,nymphs,on the swing etc...

I am just average journeyman fly fisher, but some observations.

Funny, I feel I've missed out on half the hatches already. I can't wait to get to Coburn.

Here in Altoona, we've had some warm days but the nights have been cold. So I am not surprised the water temperature is still low. Streams don't warm up like the air temperature does. Nor does it cool off as quickly (which is important for the summer fishing).

Trout may spread out a bit more as the stream temps approach 58. And they will probably start feeding more actively as well. Right now, they may be in pods that are concentrated in the warmest areas of the stream.

You may want to get a stream thermometer. Look for areas of the stream that are closer to 58. You may find springs or seeps or small tribs that warm up more quickly.

Here's the temperature conversion from C to F.

Multiply by 1.8. Add 32.

No it won't keep trout from oving, but you may have to wait until the afternoon to really get into them.

Back