Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: fly fishing in 90 degree weather?

From Philadelphia PA
Wet wading is great until you end up with some poison ivy. So if you do wet wade make sure you stay away from still waters (the oils congregate). And of course - shower as quickly as possible after your finished.
another thing is using a good sunscreen above the water line - wash your hands good right after you put the lotion on.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 10:31
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Squatch, the infections I was talking about are bacterial in nature, long pants aren't going to help. A couple (meaning, multiple) of board members have gotten flesh eating type infections from water. Nasty antibiotics for a very long time frame, danger of losing limbs, etc. Just not worth it.

Poison Ivy and ticks are other dangers that waders help with. I actually where CHEST waders these days, even on the smallest of streams.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 10:34

From Couldn't Care Less
Per bacterial infections; when I was a kid I would go to camp in the Poconos and they would take us to state parks to hike and we always went into the H2O with no worries. I would assume that off the beaten path brookie streams are not much of a worry, no?

What abt streams like the LL, Valley, Bushkill, etc ... should I not wet wade in this heat?

Posted on: 2013/5/30 10:46

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Squatch, the infections I was talking about are bacterial in nature, long pants aren't going to help. A couple (meaning, multiple) of board members have gotten flesh eating type infections from water. Nasty antibiotics for a very long time frame, danger of losing limbs, etc. Just not worth it.

Poison Ivy and ticks are other dangers that waders help with. I actually where CHEST waders these days, even on the smallest of streams.

The worst infection this board has seen happened while the guy was wearing waders, not wet wading. I wet wade like a boss all summer, never had an issue. And I am wet wading in not so clean waterways, ie the Schuylkill river through conshy. Granted I grew up swimming in the schuylkill, so my immune system laughs at any organism living in some pansy trout stream.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 10:51

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Per bacterial infections; when I was a kid I would go to camp in the Poconos and they would take us to state parks to hike and we always went into the H2O with no worries. I would assume that off the beaten path brookie streams are not much of a worry, no?

What abt streams like the LL, Valley, Bushkill, etc ... should I not wet wade in this heat?

You'll be fine wet wading those streams, I do it all the time.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 10:57

From Clearfield
Quote:

JasonS wrote:
like a boss a

That you are

Posted on: 2013/5/30 11:54

From South East PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:

I am with ya!! Chest waders all summer!!
Good fishing!!
Sean

Posted on: 2013/5/30 12:19

Quote:
The worst infection this board has seen happened while the guy was wearing waders, not wet wading.

And, if I have the right incident, I was with him when it happened (though he did not know until afterwards that it got infected). Spring Creek in Centre Cty. Though the infection likely did come from the water.

The other incident, I believe, was on the LL. There may have been one or two others on the board as well.

Regarding brookie streams, the organisms which cause the infection are in virtually all surface water in the state. But I'm not sure as far as concentration, and how much that affects infection rates and so forth. Nor do I know the details of the immune response and so forth.

What I do know is that you need a cut of some sort for the bacteria to enter, and I would assume the deeper and more open the wound, the worse your chances would be. I mean, I swam in the Allegheny when young. I've wet waded many times. I'm sure plenty of others have done the same. But you would be ok until you have a gaping wound. Which could happen to anyone, anytime, by simply tripping and falling on a sharp rock or something.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 13:34

From King Of Prussia, Pa
You can't worry about falling and getting a gaping wound. At that point you probably shouldn't even get out of bed in the morning. You could just as easily fall, smack your head and an infection is the least of your problems. I guess I just choose not to live my life wrapped in a fear cocoon.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 13:44

From Butler, Pa
its really hot, I almost passed out this morning while fishing. must have been dehydrated

Posted on: 2013/5/30 13:48

There's a difference between easy, reasonable precautions and changing your life over the unknown.

By your logic, it's stupid to wear a seatbelt on the off chance that you could be in an accident. After all, if you're gonna live your life in fear, you shouldn't be driving. And there's no guarantee the seat belt will save you anyway. I knew this guy who got in a wreck with his seatbelt on and he still got hurt.

I also wear bug spray. Imagine that. Sure, the stuff stinks, and you gotta be careful not to eat away your waders or fly line. But it lessens the likelihood of Lyme, West Nile, etc. enough to make it a worthwhile habit. For someone who spends enough time outdoors, it's likely, that someday, sometime, without taking precautions, you'd get bit by a West Nile mosquito or fall and get a gaping wound. Just like anyone who drives a lot is likely to eventually get in an accident. It's rare on any given day, but pretty likely over a long enough time period.

It's simply not that much of a hassle to wear waders. IMO, anyway. Breathable waders are pretty comfortable, I've been hoofing miles in them in 90+ degree heat. Wet wading is nice, but not necessary to enjoy a day. Breathable waders were a great invention.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 13:52

Quote:

StarvinMarvin wrote:
its really hot, I almost passed out this morning while fishing. must have been dehydrated

Or maybe starvin. Eat a sammich!

And remember the old saying:

"Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun."

Don't fish when it's 90F. It's too hot for man or beast.

Fish when it's cooler. Even in heat waves, it's not 90F at dawn.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 13:54

From King Of Prussia, Pa
The seatbelt analogy is horrible. Unless you're a child or a midget, there is absolutely no inconvenience or discomfort from wearing one. Chest waders in 90 degree weather, on the other hand, no matter how breathable, turn into sweat box. And if you do fall hard enough to potentially get a gashing wound, your magical, physics defying breathable waders are probably getting torn anyway.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:16

I view both waders and seatbelts as slight inconveniences. Bug spray, blaze orange vests over hunting gear, and hard hats/safety shoes at work fall into the same categories. The latter few are required, but I'd do them even if not.

I'm overweight, sweat a lot nomatter what I'm wearing, and my summertime fishing is about as strenuous as it gets. But breathable waders aren't a sweatbox for me. I lose the cooling effect of the water, but the waders don't make it hotter than staying dry and wearing anything else.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 16:09

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

csoult wrote:
I wish it could be like this all year long.

You need your head examined. You must not work outdoors!

The only good that's going to come of this heat wave is it will warm the streams (that I fish) up a bit.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 16:41

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com