Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

fly fisher in philly

From Haddonfield
i was on my way up to the poconos this past weekend with my family. while i was stuck in traffic on the schuylkill, like usual, i was looking around and noticed from across the water a flyfisher teaching someone. i never thought i would see someone fly fishing on the schuylkill over by the locust condo's. it made me feel good to see someone teaching the wonderful sport, especially on a friday afternoon. if you are the flyfisher on the schuylkill, nice job.

mark

Posted on: 2007/3/13 21:04

Re: fly fisher in philly

From Bozeman
no, but i'm a short bike ride away and you got me thinkin........

Posted on: 2007/3/14 8:53

From Haddonfield
jayl thats gross. theres a reason why a whale died in that river

Posted on: 2007/3/14 21:42

From Chester County
Jersey Guy,

I met a guy claims to catch huge stipers in the spring on the Schuykill, in the boat house row area. He showed my pictures of 15lb+ stripers on his boat, with the City skyline in the background. It looked ligit, but then again, maybe he went down to the Italian fish market on 9th St. and bought them. I don't have any details exactly when, where and how he catches them. Why don't you break out your 10wt and give it a try. Let us know how you make out. Good luck

Posted on: 2007/3/15 7:59

From Bozeman
I've heard similar stories.

I know the delaware river striper fishing is good around the Trenton area. I saw it on tv. I don't see why a few of them wouldn't make their way up to the art museum dam.

I also know of message boards run by temple students dedicated to fishing in the city... though it's mainly for carp.

Posted on: 2007/3/15 8:34

There are quite a few stripers below Fairmount dam in the spring.
A couple of years ago there was a report on PFBC site on electroshocking below the dam, with some very interesting pictures of fish shocked right below the dam. One that caught my eye was the picture of a dozen stripers ranging from 26 to 36 inches that were being tagged. Muskie, walleye, tiger trout, brown trout, smallies, largemouth,various catfish, including flatheads up to 40 lbs were a few of the species mentioned. Stripers and American shad have been caught up as far as Flat Rock dam. Whatever killed the whale may still be in the bottom of the river, but the water quality has improved to the point that the river supports some decent caddis hatches, plus a scattering of mayflies.

Posted on: 2007/3/15 22:20

From Haddonfield
i never would have thought it could have supported fish of that size.....its so polluted, i mean its a heavily traveled water way

Posted on: 2007/3/16 5:38

From LV
Water quality in the Schuylkill Basin is improving every year thanks to efforts of many conservation groups. To name a few Tully TU, Schuylkill County TU, Perkiomen TU, Perkiomen Watershed Conservancy, The good folks dedicated to AMD clean-up in Schuylkill County and many others some of which I don't know who they are. The added water from the Wadeville Pit mine seems to be helping too. It adds up anyway to better water quality, and the headwaters of the river have some trout, not a lot but they are there if you know where to look.

Posted on: 2007/3/16 7:59

From flemington, nj
We catch Stripers all the time there, most of the people there fish for catties. Has anyone seen the link for the fairmont dam camera? You can see alot of action on it at the right times.

Posted on: 2007/3/16 8:27

The Fairmount Dam tailrace supports numerous gamefish species in spring in catchable numbers, along with numerous channel cats, white suckers, flathead cats, and torpedo size carp. Gamefish in fishable numbers include American shad, walleye, smallmouth and largemouth bass, and striped bass, including hybrids. Also there are occasional muskies.

Posted on: 2007/3/16 20:33

Bass fishing on the schuylkill by boathouse row is good too. Its really not that dirty. I mean I wouldn't eat the fish (i'm a c and r guy anyway, but you know what I mean), but there are plenty of fish in there both bait species and game species. I see people catching smallies and the occasional eel all the time. Never seen the stripers, but being from the greater trenton area, I know big ones are caught right outside trenton, so I would imagine they do fine on the Schuylkill. The Schuylkill used to have awesome shad runs before the water got all messed up from pollution. Would be nice if they could bring that back. Apparently, the shad would run up the tribs and absolutely choke them full of fish.

After seven years living in Philly I found the best spot for fly fishing is Valley Green in Fairmount Park. They stock it with trout and its got some nice runs... its the Wissahickon Creek.

Posted on: 2007/3/20 12:06

From Pine Grove
jersey_guy wrote:
Quote:
jayl thats gross. theres a reason why a whale died in that river

I did some research on the whale, as I didn't remember it dying, and this was all I can find in reference to his fate.

http://www.philadelphia-reflections.c ... lpha/helis_the_whale.html

In fact they even credit the whale as proof the the river may be getting cleaner, and that he was following shad.

Boyer

Posted on: 2007/3/20 12:25

From Southeast PA
I guess it's time to give another plug to Ron Swegman's book "Philadelphia on the Fly: Tales of an Urban Angler." Ron used to frequent the PaFlyFish board, and there's even a reference in his book to a discussion he had here about fly fishing for catfish ("Hippy Trout"). It's not a Dwight Landis type of detailed fishing information book, more of a bunch of short stories about his fly fishing adventures on the Schuylkill and the Wissahickon. But you do get an idea of the fly fishing possibilities in the area, and it's an enjuoyable read.

Rckrego, I agree about the good fishing at Valley Green, but talk about not wanting to eat fish from the Schuylkill, the Wissahickon is a pretty stream but it smells like $#!T !!! I haven't fished there lately, is it any better?

Posted on: 2007/3/20 12:55

Wulff-Man:
I fish it at least once a week, April through October, and it doesn't smell that bad even in the summer. I remember as a kid it smelled pretty bad especially in the summer. I see a lot of caddis and midges, and the occasional mayfly and stonefly. There are even colonies of fresh water mussels. So it's cleaned up considerably. Another thing is the high water from Hurricane Floyd really scoured the creek bottom, and rearranged it. Plus there have been two or three more incidents with super high water that have recreated the creek. If you haven't been there in a number of years you might not recognize it.
I fish it mainly for bass and sunfish, through I give the trout a shot through early July if I see any rising. I give them a break the rest of the summer.

Posted on: 2007/3/21 11:47

From Southeast PA
Thanks, Philly. I'll have to stop back there again sometime on my way home from work. Maybe I'll try to get my son who's nearby at Philly U to go with me sometime.

Posted on: 2007/3/21 13:00

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com