fishing with someone from the forum

J

jolie

The fishing secrets thread made me think of an interesting truth about communicating and the internet.

usually friendly and sometimes with some pretty specific advice, forums like this tend to be really anonymous. You get a chance to know the avid contributers but never really to meet them. This can be tough because if you start NOT catching fish, a long list of advice is NOT what's really needed. What would be really helpful is to actually fish with an expert and have him troubleshoot your technique.

so let me ask a question, how interested are people in the forum to meet someone new? At times, when I've talked to people at work, I've gotten the feeling few sportsman really want to meet with a new (and clueless) companion.

This is especially true about steelhead fishing in Erie. I been there 15 times and only caught 2. Stupendously horrible odds and I Don't know I'm doing something wrong!!
but tips, advice ,etc just aint the same as meeting up with someone who catches and getting help. I suppose I should be willing to plain hire a guide! (its just so expensive)...

Perhaps you could just explain a little why everyone seems so embarrassed and uncomfortable when I (obviously not catching) note someones expertise and ask to be included in their next fishing trip...
Jason

Many of us fish together. The jamboree is in may. I met a good bit of the regular posters there. Also, one of my good fishing buddies, Ian, met me through this forum. We've traveled to a few good locations around the east coast to fish.

You'd be welcome to attend and fish with us.

I'm not too anonymous here. I tell people who I am when they mention the forum on the stream, and there are pics of me all over the place in the photo section.

Well thanks,

very gracious. Thank you- I don't doubt that you would... but it would be difficult to meet unless I was determined to meet you -- as you fish in east PA. I'm not really the traveller esp. with trout because there is good water close... Still, Perhaps an internet forum would be a more social group of people than just the odd sportsman at work, etc.

The question sounds personal, but maybe it really isn't. I'm not exactly asking any of you to meet me at a trout stream... But I've been fly fishing 1 year and I can use streamers and nymphs (limited) but..

dry fly fishing mystifys me! I fish freestone waters which generally have subtle hatches, and cramped casting. It would be good to fish with someone who can 'match the hatch' and take the mystery out of it; although I am prepared to learn it myself, from books and hints.

Steelhead is also an extra frustration. They are as big and visible as carp; and though I try, I am missing something on how to catch them. Thus I am extra pesky to ask anyone whom claims to catch them for Help. Walleye is another. Walleye fisherman, seem to even by worse than steelhead fishermen for tips....

So, while I'm not asking anyone of you personally if you'd like to fish with me, I do wonder if someone in my area; would mind meeting up and sharing the stream together while I learn a thing or to, instead of slowly deduce it after hours of trial/error and books.

also I'd like to know why some people would have a real problem with fishing with a casual acquaintence (who's invited himself along). This must really bothers people, they start staring at there toes and making vague promices.

Perhaps its harder, when I outright admit I don't know what I'm doing and hope for some instruction??? Too much to ask for the sake of casual acquaintance.

Perhaps you feel that with fishing; if you didn't learn from your dad and grandad- as an adult you need to learn it from books and trial/error...

have you ever tried to show someone new to this, how to fly fish, on the water? did it go well??
Jason

jolie worte: "have you ever tried to show someone new to this, how to fly fish, on the water? did it go well??"

Personally I have taken a lot of people on their first fly fishing trip, and all of them still fly fish (some not as often as others, but love it still the same). Matter of fact most of them like different types of fly fishing. I have one friend to fished most the suskie for bas and ellusive muskie, 2 that only fish small mountain streams for brookies, one that prefers stocked fish and another who prefers wild fish.

I like meeting new fishing buddies. This gives me more excuses to go fishing. If one friend doesn't answer his phone, it's on to the next, and so on. (The phone calls are usually based on a hierarchy of what I want to fish for)

I live in central PA, and would fish with most people that ask. The Jam is a great place to meet people from this forum, many from probably a similar area of the state as you.

I think if you ask most people on here they'd be willing to fish with you.

Many of us are more than willing to help. You seem to be beating around the bush a bit. Where are you from and where are you hoping to fish this weekend? Just come out with it. Maybe one of us is planning to fish the same day and area and would be willing to meet you.

I fished alone for my first 5 years except for rare occasions when I did meet someone from this board. Now, seems I'm fishing more with board acquaintances than fishing alone.

The Jamboree is a great way to break to barrier between board-life and real-life. Here's some information about this year's jamboree:

2008 Jamboree Information Page

Unless an emergency prevents you from coming, you should definitely take advantage of the opportunity. So far, there has only been one murder. :-o

(Just kidding!) :-D

If you can't make the JAM and you're having problems finding people in your area, I know it's an investment but hire a guide for a day and not someone that fishes stocked pellet fed fish. You'll get allot of fishing in and learn allot as well. Not all but allot of people who fish, do just that they fish. I'm not picking on them but when you have a rod well... you fish. If you are lucky enough to meet the other type that untangle you and share a few flies then hang onto them and make sure you spring for lunch! I'm sure someone on this site knows someone who is reputable that fits the bill either or. We had a hard time finding people when we were learning as well. My son's worst complaint was that allot of people fished with him but not many stopped and took the time to show him stuff. Yes he learned some things, some good, allot bad and did meet some really nice people. He is a lucky kid to have had the opportunities he has had since those days and is exceptionally educated on the water now. Some fly fishing shops like TCO have some great courses. I'm not sure if there are any close to you but some other shop might have something going on as well. You get the benefit of the course as well as possibly meeting someone in your area to hook up with. I know it kills forking over the bucks. Also haunt the fly fishing shops you can learn allot there for free. TU chapters are another venue. If you can take the trip definitely hit the JAM. Lots of people here are glad to help.

Just an FYI for anyone interested in learning to fly fish. You may be able to call and get in for this weekend.

http://www.mainlineflytyers.net/MLFT-FishDay.htm

When: April 5th, 2008
Where: Ressica Falls Scout Reservation, Marshalls Creek, Pa.
Directions to Resica Falls

Who: Available to the club members and non-members
Time: 9:30am
If you ever wanted to learn to fly fish, this is the class for you. Our day covers all the basics of flyfishing. You will learn how to fish nymphs, wet files, and dry files. Beginning and advanced casting instruction is provided. We can also inspect and show you how to set up your equipment. Fishing the Big Bushkill Creek on the Reservation is included, as is lunch.

Agenda: (click here for more information)

9:30am Assemble

Nymph fishing session

Wet Fly fishing session

Dry Fly fishing session

Lunch

Casting lessons

Fishing all afternoon

Cost of this day is $40/per person. (free for club members)

Sign up for this day and you will also get a full Main Line Fly Tyers membership included. This covers all the remaining meetings for our year, the annual Fly Fishing Day and our annual camping trip. For additional information call Ed at 610-630-9738 or Mike at 610-489-8319.

Or send your name, address, telephone#, and email address along with a check payable to:

Main Line Fly-Tyers c/o Frank Howard

7033 Ridge Ave. Unit 2B

Phila., PA. 19128

Maybe beating around the bush a little...

I fish in Warren county, PA. I've tried most of the hotspots from the tailwaters, to tionesta, to brokenstraw.

Any one heading that way on a saturday morning I would love to meet. Perhaps as far out as clarion (lots of fly fishing their I've heard) and oil creek. I've heard the sinnemahoning metioned. I'd be a drive but its definitely possible.

I'm also very interested in warm water- esp. smallmouth bass --

This week I've got a NY license and thought about trying some spots in chautaqua county area... but I don't know any one fishing nearby?

Your a friendly forum. Thanks :)
Jason

jason,

I can promise if you can make the Jam, I'll be happy to have you join me for some of the time as i am sure many other attendees would as well. I am not an expert, far from it, but if you are still quite inexperienced, I am sure there is something I could help you with. If you could come up during the week ahead of the time, it would be even easier to join up for some fishing. I'll be there from Monday May 12 through the weekend.

As for helping you out unrelated to the Jam we are pretty far away from eachother, so that's unlikely. unfortunately, your immediate neck of the woods always seems to be under-represented on the board. Maybe someone from that area will speak up.

I have been interested in checking out Oil Creek. If I get that urge, I'll give you a yell, though I have no immediate plans to travel up in that direction.

In the meantime, don't give up trying. though it will definitely take longer to have a breakthrough on your own than with a guide or helping fishing partner, it will still eventually happen by trial and error and determination. One thing I did when learning was to fish a lot, read books borrowed from my local library, and take the combined book learning and experience and ask a lot of questions of the anglers on this board. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience right here.

In summary:

Post questions, attend jam.

We like talking about this stuff entirely too much. Ask away.

"Perhaps you could just explain a little why everyone seems so embarrassed and uncomfortable when I (obviously not catching) note someones expertise and ask to be included in their next fishing trip..."

I think it's the E-word. Here's a little story about being an expert.

Before my accident, I was fishing in the Shenandoah National Park. I hiked down from Skyline Drive and then worked my way up. Well, I was getting skunked until I came to one pool where I saw a brookie working at the tail of the pool. I switched to a dry and got him on the first cast. "WOW!" I heard, from uphill. Two hikers had been watching me. "Wow" the guy said again "I didn't think anyone caught fish that fast. You must be a real expert" Well, it was the only fish I caught on that outing.

Just 'cause someone looks like they know what they're doing doesn't mean they do. And it's real uncomfortable when it becomes obvious! All I can say is, that when I answer a question here it's based on something that worked for me or something I read from a credible source. In other words, it may not work for you, but I had the best of intentions.

I've often noted that tips given often don't work for me. For instance someone might tell me that the trout are taking a tan caddis, but not that it's a size 16 caddis fished with a small twitch... not skittered.. fished tight to the bank near tufts of grass. So if I switch to a size 14 tan caddis and dead drift it down the center of the pool, it won't work. I try to remember that when people ask me what I am fishing.

I can't say I ever took anyone out to teach them how to fly fish because I don't think anyone ever asked me. I have answered questions on the stream, given away flies or given up a spot where I was catching fish.

I like meeting people on the stream and trading tips. Of course I never found "secret" spots and I don't believe in "secret" flies. If I thought I had secrets, I might feel differently. Really though, I never forgot what it felt like when I was trying to figure this stuff out, and how hard it was to wrestle the equipment into a cast.

Good luck learning about flyfishing. It may feel like you'll never figure it out but slowly the things you do wrong will hold you back less and less, while the things you do right will push you along further and further.

Steelhead fishing is about 50/50 experience and dumb luck (I think). Which means that on any give day, you might catch two fish just because you showed up and the fish were there; if you have experience, it might be four, because the fish were there, and you knew what to try to use to have a better chance of catching them. Experience will tell you to keep trying different flies (or even bait, if you're spin fishing), and will help you time your fishing with water levels and colors, although if you live over five hours away like I do, the latter two are more dumb luck if you hit it right. I had my best two steelhead fishing days this past fall, in terms of numbers landed. Both were double digit days, and both were a result of hitting the stream just after the first real rain hit the tributaries, which caused the slug of fish that was stopped up at the mouths to have enough water to move upstream. It was the largest concentration of fish I've seen while fishing the tributaries, but after the next rain, the concentration diminished because the fish dispersed upstream. And counterbalance that with days were I've caught absolutely nothing as well. Or days where I had a fly rod and was fishing with a friend and my brother and we ran into a pod of fish that was stuck on upper Elk, because the water was too shallow for them to run any further. My friend and brother nailed them on minnows and worms, while I was mostly skunked on flies.

Fishing is a lot about dumb luck, which helps build experience. Eventually, through trial and error, you'll hone in on what has a higher probability of working. And there are no "get-fish-quick" formulas out there; just get out and keep trying.

Jolie,

I was fishing for steelhead last Saturday with two guys I met from this board. We each caught a couple and had a nice day together. One of the things we talked about on the way home was how much faster one leans the sport when fishing with new partners. Everyone has a little something to teach.

I'm down in SW PA, so I'm not nearby to hook-up with you easily. One of the reasons I got involved with this board was to meet some fishing buddies, and I feel I've been very successful in that regard. I've fished with 5 guys who are regular posters from the board and enjoyed my time with each of them.

Plan to come to the JAM and you will meet a bunch of guys happy to help you learn to catch fish. The other strategy that might work for you is to just keep reading the forum. Eventually you'll figure out who fishes in your area. Send them a Private Message some time and invite them to fish with you, they might just take you up on it!

Jolie:
I live in Pittsburgh but I have a cabin in Titusville, PA. Do you live near there? I go up there pretty regularly and would love to meet up if you are in the area. I'm a newbie so i wouldn't be able to teach you much but I would love to hit the stream with ya. Let me know.

Just my take on this. My thoughts are not reflective on anyone on this thread just to be clear.

I am no expert or in my opinion very accomplished at all- but enjoy learning and getting better in all aspects of fly fishing.

I post on the site because I have an interest in fly fishing and not really to find fishing buddies. Although I have fished with a few folks from here and that is a bonus. The times I did fish with folks I was glad I did.

One might want to post for awhile so you may become alittle known to other board members. I know I would be hesitant to drive 2 hours to fish with some person all day who ends up to be a d-bag. (hell, I don't get along with all of my own family sometimes let alone a total stranger)

Might help if a person was to list where they are from, some interests you may have,do you catch and release? etc.... in your profile.

Rome was not built in a day.

Paul

Back