Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: etiquette question

Simple response:. Fish elsewhere or get up earlier next time.

Posted on: 6/13 17:35

Agree with above - especially with steelhead. Haven't fished SR in a few years so it's a little bit easier now, but there are no longer any secrets. I'm brutal with steelhead. There are spots where I wont even act like I'm fishing if people are within sight because I dont want to hook one and give people ideas.

The internet is a gift and a curse. There are spots that I've fished since the late 90s where if I saw anyone it was the same 1 or 2 guys who might be there. Now I see those same spots on the local newspaper catch of the week with some dickhead wearing a go pro bragging about the 8 steelhead he caught with pics of all of them. Not really the end of the world. I live within walking distance and on that river it's legal to fish in the dark. I get a kick out of seeing guys taking trails 5 or 6, showing up at 730am and being pissed that I'm there.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source ... Vaw1svp_ZE0wixCgG4ToeNzAn

Posted on: 6/13 20:08

From Burke VA
I've never had any issues on tiny ST streams as described, now slightly bigger waters that's a different story. I think there really is a different kind of fisherman who hikes these tiny streams for reasons not always involving fish. It is mutually beneficial for them to stay the hell away from each other...again on bigger streams not so much.

Posted on: 6/13 21:33

From SE Pa
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
Quote:

poopdeck wrote:
I'm not buying half of what is being said. Inflated self importance, fragile egos and angry men in tweed are primary reasons I don't trout fish with any kind of regularity. This has nothing to do with etiquette. Rather, it's about selfishness and feelings of entitlement. I love how the internet has defined and grown fly fishing etiquette as personal miles of stream and parking lots. Not the practice in real life.

You sound dehydrated.

I'm going to have to pack more water if I have to walk a mile past every angler I see.

Sharing a natural resource with others is proper etiquette. It's really that simple. To suggest trout don't bite unless we're spaced a mile apart is pure hogwash.

Posted on: 6/14 1:00

From Morgantown, PA
Quote:

poopdeck wrote:
Sharing a natural resource with others is proper etiquette. It's really that simple. To suggest trout don't bite unless we're spaced a mile apart is pure hogwash.

In this context (legitimate small stream fishing) sharing the resource in most cases means choosing another small stream to fish that day if the one you arrive at has an angler already on it, and you don’t know where they are or where they’ve been. Ryan just said it well, in far less words than I did...It’s mutually beneficial for both anglers for them to avoid each other. And most small stream anglers will go out of their way to do this.

Challenge...Fish a small stream behind me by an hour or two (say a mile’s worth) and see how well the fish bite. I’ll carry my pump filter and leave you a 32 oz of freshly purified water every mile so you don’t have to carry any.

Posted on: 6/14 6:45

From State College PA
IMO such conversations are moot without the context of the stream and time of year/day. Fishing a major hatch requires no more 30-50 yards. covering water with streamers, different.
I would feel entitled if I expected 1 mile (let alone more) to my own private use under any circumstance on the streams in central PA. To expect this is setting myself up for being pissed/annoyed, which defeats the purpose of me being out.

Posted on: 6/14 7:25

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

nymphingmaniac wrote:
IMO such conversations are moot without the context of the stream and time of year/day.

We have a Bingo.

Keeping this in context of the OP...

OP said he was looking to fish a feeder about a mile upstream.

Go for it.

Just stay out of the main stream as much as possible on your way up.

If you see the other angler along the way, tip your hat. If he doesn't act like a Richard Cranium simply because you had nerve enough to be in the same valley, let him know your intention. He'll appreciate it. I know that I would. If he does act like a Richard Cranium, just keep walking. No need to ruin your own day by getting into an argument. Him knowing you are upstream of him will be enough to ruin his.

If the other angler is fishing the feeder when you get there? Well. you have a mile of water to fish on the way back to your vehicle.

Tweed makes me chafe.

Posted on: 6/14 7:43

From Morgantown, PA
To clarify, my position on this issue is assuming a small, unstocked, wild Trout stream, as that's what I assumed the OP meant when he said pulling into a remote parking area, and what I mean when I say small stream or "Brookie" fishing.

None of what is being said here applies on a larger stream such as the Central PA limestoners or the big NC freestoners. It really doesn't, or shouldn't apply on a stocked stream of any size either.

The kind of angler who fishes small, unstocked, wild Trout streams understands this, and is generally pretty courteous the other way in return in my experience. There's no expectation necessarily of this behavior, but small stream anglers generally understand it's best for both parties, for the reasons mentioned above, to just go somewhere else to fish if the small stream you pull up to appears to already have an angler on it somewhere in that section.

Note than in the case of the OP...the angler already there could have also been planning on, or is already up the trib you were looking to fish up. You'd either be fishing water already fished, or cutting him off in that scenario. Point is, unless you can find the guy and figure out what he's already fished, and what he plans to fish still, you're left guessing. Most small stream guys would prefer their "plan B" for the day over a guessing game, or fishing behind someone on the plan A.

Posted on: 6/14 8:21

From SE Pa
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:

Challenge...Fish a small stream behind me by an hour or two (say a mile’s worth) and see how well the fish bite. I’ll carry my pump filter and leave you a 32 oz of freshly purified water every mile so you don’t have to carry any.

I've done this challenge many times before just not with you. I grew up trout fishing. It's how I cut my angling teeth. I just don't trout fish much anymore because I've discovered other angling pleasures.

Me and my 2 brothers would fish a native stream that ran through our property. In the summer time you could step across this stream and between the three of us we were all over, up, down and through that stream yet the native brookies cooperated fully every time despite the total lack of "etiquette."

No I never drank from this creek.

Posted on: 6/14 9:59

Quote:

poopdeck wrote:
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:

I've done this challenge many times before just not with you. I grew up trout fishing. It's how I cut my angling teeth. I just don't trout fish much anymore because I've discovered other angling pleasures.

Trolling?

Posted on: 6/14 10:16

From Monessen, PA
"Challenge...Fish a small stream behind me by an hour or two (say a mile’s worth) and see how well the fish bite. I’ll carry my pump filter and leave you a 32 oz of freshly purified water every mile so you don’t have to carry any."

Don't f-up the water you fish and I'll gladly fish 100 FEET behind you. If you treat the water as your own and mess it up for more than a few minutes, it is YOU that needs to learn etiquette.

Posted on: 6/14 10:55

-- Me

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
Don't f-up the water you fish and I'll gladly fish 100 FEET behind you. If you treat the water as your own and mess it up for more than a few minutes, it is YOU that needs to learn etiquette.

Oh please.

Posted on: 6/14 13:29

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

JackM wrote:

What, are folks supposed to levitate from one spot on the stream to the next? Be serious.

Oh, and since poopdeck said I have an inflated sense of self importance and anger issues, because I want to start fishing at first light, I'm going to start anger management classes next week.

Posted on: 6/14 15:15

Quote:

wildtrout2 wrote:
Quote:

JackM wrote:

What, are folks supposed to levitate from one spot on the stream to the next? Be serious.

Oh, and since poopdeck said I have an inflated sense of self importance and anger issues, because I want to start fishing at first light, I'm going to start anger management classes next week.

Don't you mean angler management?

Posted on: 6/14 15:28

From SE Pa
Quote:

wildtrout2 wrote

Hold up, that was not directed at anybody in particular. They are simply some of the reasons I don't trout fish but a few times a year.

I am glad that you have taken the first step in recognizing that you may have anger issues in dealing with fishing pressure. The old stodgy elitism of fly fishing is losing ground and it's time the few holdouts let go and roll with the times. It's a big brave world out there with lots of people and we all have to get along. Getting along with others is actually way more enjoyable then hating everybody who is different.

For the record I am not saying you are an old stodgy elitist.

Posted on: 6/15 10:35

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com