erie conditions

stevehalupka

stevehalupka

don't see many posts about steelhead as of lately on here, so I'll drop the line for those of you who aren't aware.

elk and walnut were flowing good yesterday, but chocolate milk. Fish are beyond rt. 5.

20 is getting a push of fish in the mornings, but the water is clear. Waited on shore while dudes scared fish with hefty indicators and sucker spawn. Some of those indicators were bigger than my 2 gram pinning floats. Didn't get a good drift all morning, as I couldn't get into position.

Need more rain, but a steady drop, not a torrential downpour. Elk/Walnut should be fishing well today.

elk was very fishable yeasterday had just a touch of color thats perfect. Had a few guys from here come up yeasterday we had a decent day not a ton of fish in yet but another good rain and it should get good. We caught some nice fat fish im sure albatross and goodfourtion will post some pics of a few we got. I didnt get out today but will be out tomarrow after work.

don't see many posts about steelhead as of lately on here, so I'll drop the line for those of you who aren't aware.

That's a good one! :lol:

Attachments

• steel.jpg
    steel.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 4
Bowhunter kindly showed Bruno, GoodFortune, JackM and I around on his home stream (Elk Creek) Saturday. It was great to meet you Rob! He shared some great stories of growing up on the banks of Elk creek and some of the epic days of fishing he has encountered. Rob, we owe you a guided day on water we are familiar with (maybe the Yough or the Little J), so let us know how we can return the favor.

Conditions were near perfect on our arrival around 9 AM Saturday. Elk dropped and cleared as the day went on and the catching became tougher. We had a nice time and caught some fish.

Attachments

• 1-Albatross Steel.jpg
    1-Albatross Steel.jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 2-JackM.jpg
    2-JackM.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 3-Bruno.jpg
    3-Bruno.jpg
    613.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 4-BrunoBamboo.jpg
    4-BrunoBamboo.jpg
    635.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 5-GoodFortune.jpg
    5-GoodFortune.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 6-BowHunter0131.jpg
    6-BowHunter0131.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 3
bruno, great pic of the bamboo and steelie!! great looking reel also!!

Those are some chunky fish! Nice! Great to have someone out there that knows the area so well.

Bruno, what weight is the bamboo?

albatross i had a pleasure meeting you guys and showing you around. Pics and the vid look very cool glad you guys had fun. I will def take you up on the offer for the guide on your streams. How far from me is the little j always heard good things about it. Hope you guys can make it up agin i would love to show you a few other spots I think you guys would enjoy the smaller streams.

Sadly, I have no steelhead photos to share, just a picture of our transportation:

dodge_caravan_1984-90_30.jpg

BowHunter wrote
How far from me is the little j

Google maps says about 4 hours unfortunately. Bruno knows a thing or two about Oil Creek if that's a better option for you (maybe I'll tag along too as I've yet to fish the fabled waters of Oil).

Love it all.... can't wait to head up next weekend!

oil creek would be good I heard there were not many fish left this year it got super low and warm. I could prob make a trip to the j would just find somewere to crash for the night and bring the wifes car. It would cost me 300 bucks for gas in the truck lol. Also Bruno said his camp in not to far from mine maybe we could set up a little brookie trip. I have done a little native fishing around camp but not much always wanted to get into that.

Thats funny Jack got to post that pic with the song. Wish i could of heard you trying to sing oh wait maybe not lol.

jdaddy wrote:
Those are some chunky fish! Nice! Great to have someone out there that knows the area so well.

Bikerfish helped me out on the line weight and suggested a 6 wt line and it worked out really well.

I don't know if I will be using it every time I go out. My shoulder still is aching. It does get heavy but it does cast very well. I was really impressed with the real. It is a Pflueger 1495 from the early sixties and it worked very well. I will say that the fight it much different on the bamboo. I did some bassing this summer with it but the steelie really let me feel the rod and the fish.

I really got the setup because i thought it was cool to fish a rod from the 40s and a reel from the 60s . It is a testament to the folks that built these things that they are still capable of working decent sized fish.

PS - Juvenile Steelhead aka "Jack" serenaded me almost all the way home. God help me - I almost drove the minivan into a tree !

Thanks for a great day guys it is always fun and it was a pleasure to meet bowhunter and spend the day with him.

Bruno, Nice old South Bend rod.

Glad to see someone else using a cane rod for steelhead.

Bruno wrote:
jdaddy wrote:

Bikerfish helped me out on the line weight and suggested a 6 wt line and it worked out really well.

I don't know if I will be using it every time I go out. My shoulder still is aching. It does get heavy but it does cast very well. I was really impressed with the real. It is a Pflueger 1495 from the early sixties and it worked very well. I will say that the fight it much different on the bamboo. I did some bassing this summer with it but the steelie really let me feel the rod and the fish.

I really got the setup because i thought it was cool to fish a rod from the 40s and a reel from the 60s . It is a testament to the folks that built these things that they are still capable of working decent sized fish.

PS -[color=CC0000] Juvenile Steelhead aka "Jack" [/color] serenaded me almost all the way home. God help me - I almost drove the minivan into a tree !

Thanks for a great day guys it is always fun and it was a pleasure to meet bowhunter and spend the day with him.

Does the name "Juvenile Jack" refer to how Jack acts on a Steelhead trip, or does it have some reference to his fishing?

AFish wrote
Does the name "Juvenile Jack" refer to how Jack acts on a Steelhead trip, or does it have some reference to his fishing?

Jack has a tendency towards giddy childlike excitement on most any fishing trip, but it seems to be magnified when we are chasing steel. It struck me after I'd caught a 17 inch steelhead, "Q: What do you call a juvenile steelhead? A: A Jack!"

Personally, I get visions of sugar plums dancing through my head the night before a steelhead trip. I finally gave up on sleeping at 2:30 AM the day of this trip.

albatross wrote:
AFish wrote

Jack has a tendency towards giddy childlike excitement on most any fishing trip, but it seems to be magnified when we are chasing steel. It struck me after I'd caught a 17 inch steelhead, "Q: What do you call a juvenile steelhead? A: A Jack!"

Personally, I get visions of sugar plums dancing through my head the night before a steelhead trip. I finally gave up on sleeping at 2:30 AM the day of this trip.

I'm glad it's not just me Alby! lol

I can never sleep the night before I'm headed up to Erie. I usually just get out of bed a tie a few flies to pass the time before 4am hits lol. I'll probably make a trip in 2-3 weeks.

Ryan, Its comforting to me to know I'm not the only one who has the ailment this bad. I hear warm milk helps...

I'm sure the fishing will be very slow again now that the flows have returned to low and clear. Barring another good rain, its probably wise to wait a few weeks.

I'm jealous guys.

Albie...I couldn't sleep knowing that you guys were going!

Back