early season stocking and fish kill

C

CRB

I've been told that there was a fish kill (50 or more)on oil creek in the delayed harvest area. The stream was stocked this past Wednesday. Is this what happens by stocking early or when it is scheduled with the fish we pay for? Why not wait a week? Draw out the season stocking later, any thoughts?

What is the supposed cause of the kill?

Did this happen at both of the DHALOs?

I don't think it would be from the temp changes since all the other streams are doing fine.. Hmm..

more than 10 degree change that fast can kill trout, hope the WCO took the temps of the stream before they dumped them in..

Stock as many streams as are stocked in Pa and you are bound to have occasional acute pollution event kills. The surprising thing is that it does not happen more often, statistically speaking. To me this largely reflects good selection of waterways for the stocking program, a willingness to take measured risks following careful evaluation in order to provide desirable fisheries, the success of pollution control actions and education over the decades, high spring flows most years which provide pollution dilution, and generally good luck.

Does anyone actually know which DHALO and what the cause was?

The only fish kill that I ever saw when I helped stock was a whole tank of fish on the truck that rolled over - because the oxygen tank was malfunctioning. 200 raccoon foods went in the water that day (and not of the small native brook snack variety).

I recently got info from a game commissioner and although he was only present for the lower dhalo stocking had heard nothing about the fish kill. So I am wondering if this is true?

It happens more then you'd realize, but it is seldom seen. the stock 3.2 m. fish, some are bound to die.

It happens more then you'd realize, but it is seldom seen. the stock 3.2 m. fish, some are bound to die.

That makes sense.

i Fished the lower DHALO last week and seemed pretty decent, caught three nice bows, between 9-14 inches. seemed healthy, good fighting trout

Back