do you carry bear spray?

phiendWMD

phiendWMD

I don't, but after this afternoon, I might reconsider that.

I came around a bend on the trail, and it was about 40 yards in front of me walking on the trail toward me. I yelled at it, and luckily it must not of been too hungry. He turned and ran.

Tip I got in Glacier NP, "Your best weapon is your voice."

p8050562-copy.jpg

40 yds. about the time it takes to pull out the spray and release the safety trigger you are a goner..

She just wanted a hug and a kiss,

I carry something called a "Screecher" air horn, and pepper mace when I'm camping, but the more I read about real life experiences the less I want to "spray" a bear. From what I've read in several reports it only seems to **** them off more, and it's not good unless you get it right in their eyes, if you have the balls to get that close you probably don't need bear spray.

Only in the West where grizzlies are prevalent.

Only out west. I ran into a bear on penns during the green drake this year, I backed away slowly & it ran off into the woods. It was a too close for comfort.

I'm in Yellowstone for the summer and have learned carry bear spray everywhere I fish and hike. My only angry bear encounter, however, was at Big Fishing creek last august. When I'm back at Penn State I will be carrying bear spray from now on. Black bears can be just as dangerous as Grizzly's and bear spray is your best defense. (unless you carry a gun and know how to use it)

Love glacier national park. The best place I have been outwest.

I kept some handy in northern Ontario, but it was likely unnecessary. That area was so remote. Those bears never see people and are not acclimated to human food. They just wanted to get away from us.

I disagree that bear spray is not effective. User error is just really high and the results are highly compromised because of this. If you are going to carry it, you have to keep it on your side and you have to be PREPARED to use it. It's like any other personal safety device. If you don't know how to use it and have not practiced with it...you are highly likely to fail with your usage in a situation where it is needed. So in that respect, it certainly is a waste to carry it for most people.

Your best bet is always to be educated about the animals in the area you fish so you can know how to best coexist with them. Someone else already stated that making some noise while you are walking is probably your best option. If you are camping, hopefully you have done your homework on how to protect your camp from bears as well. It takes a lot of works to be safe in the wilderness. Most people don't do it and that is where you run into trouble....no matter what you are doing out there.

I have regular old pepper spray in my waist pack...for bears or a Deliverance moment...God forbid.

I would only carry bear spray in grizzly country [obviously not much of a concern in PA] or if I fished in areas where bears had grown accustomed to humans (and our food and garbage). The other type of encounter that is somewhat probable is getting between a sow and her cubs and that's a position I ever care to be in. All bears I've ever encountered in the remote woods have turn tail and run away. They should be respected but need not be feared. It's much more dangerous to drive to a remote location to fish then it is to encounter a bear. I fear the two legged creatures behind the wheel more than our resident black bears.

I would only carry bear spray, or a .357 snubby for that matter, if I was spending the night in the woods. During the day a dangerous bear encounter would be slim in PA. The last thing you want is a bear in in your back country camp at night though...

only when fishing in grizzly country.

I actually carry some when I am fishing some streams late and know I will be walking back to my truck in the dark. And I always have it when fishing behind my cabin at dusk.

According to the PA Game Commission no human has ever been killed by a Black Bear in PA. Last year a man may have been finished off by a bear but was likely either already dead or knocked out from the tree that fell on him. He was also known to feed the bears, death by misadventure one way or another.

What is fairly common is a bluff charge from a black bear. In which case a spare pair of underwear may be the best way to prepare.

In the unlikely event of an attack from a Black Bear (most likely outside PA) you must fight the bear and convince it that there are easier meals to be found.

Better odds for seeing Sasquatch or a mountain lion than getting attacked by a bear. Especially a black bear!

Check this out.

What!? I don't like those odds. That's more black bear attacks than I would have thought. Dang it! I better arm up when I"m in the Smokey's this Fall. What's up w/ Canadian black bear attacks, also...bears breaking into houses and cabins to attack people? Dang.

good read here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/science/11bears.html?_r=0

Back